• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, here they are... My gray Daltons arrived today. I will try to get some better pics in a few days.

Chris

Excellent Chris! Would definitely like to see them. Been on the fence for some time now.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the heels on my Strawfut were separating. Sent them to AE and they redid them. They even sent me pics!

Before:

After:

Same here for a pair of Malverns where they replaced the heels. The weird thing was the boots came back sprayed with something sticky. Even the shoelaces are stiff and crusty. Yet, the boots looked better when I sent them in than when they came back to me. Not sure what AE did with them.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I really wish they made the Delray in walnut (I know, you can custom order them but it's full price). A walnut Delray on sale would be my absolute dream.

The Parkway in Walnut looks nice. For a casual color like Walnut, the Parkway's raised stitching is less of an issue.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, here they are... My gray Daltons arrived today. I will try to get some better pics in a few days.

Chris

Looking forward to those pictures! This colour makes me incline to purchase them. They look like a much better grey than on the AE website.

adamdurbin

Reaction score

Chris

Very excited to see! Mine shipped yesterday!!!!

RicPac

Reaction score
i asked about caring for the long branch and its so many pages behind that i couldnt find an answer. They are the brown grain leather long branch. I love the boots and plan to wear them out but as they are rugged sole, they can take a little more of a beating but i would like to not destroy the leather. should they be cared for the same way my AE strands are or differently because of the leather?

mp906

Reaction score
Good Lord, I ordered some Chocolate Daltons yesterday too. This sale is like crack cocaine.

Archimon

Reaction score
Good Lord, I ordered some Chocolate Daltons yesterday too. This sale is like crack cocaine.
Can't wait to see if theres another come monday. Seriously though, all of these Grey leather is anticlimactic for me. Seeing all of these styles I like but with the unfortunate color is frustrating!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been pretty dry here - no snow or rain - so I was thinking of getting my Wolverine 744's ready for their inaugural spin outdoors. Just used a little bit of Venetian Shoe Cream. It did a nice job of moisturizing and shining them up.

I just used a cloth to apply the cream, then buffed with an old cotton sock (putting the sock over my hand), then hit with the brush. I use rubber gloves so as not to absorb the cream through my skin.

Can't really tell from these pictures, as it's night time here, but it worked well. The right boot in the photo (left in real life) has been duller than the left, as you can see on the captoe. I haven't been able to get it to shine up yet.

No flash:

Nice Job and looking good! Love mine both the cigar color and fit. Over time and brushing the shine should even out on the toes. Our program is similar except I use a wool sock instead of cotton and finish with a nylon stocking with my hand in the foot area. And of course a brush and water brushing from time to time. Good luck on your shake down cruise, that is when I always seem to do the most damage to mine for some reason, likely because I am thinking about it. Wearing Dark Brown Dundee's for the first time today so not thinking about it! Enjoy wearing your 744's.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just bought the AE long branch. Should i treat them even though they are more of a rugged boot? shine them and everything like i would my strands?

I have the Brown Waxy Leather version. I have been slightly frustrated with AE's shoe care advice on their website, but I had a break through the other day. They have shoe care advice in three locations on their website.
  1. At the bottom of the page on each individual shoe there is a paragraph or two with hyperlinks for recommended shoe care products.
  2. There is also the shoe care page, which has some videos and a pdf chart with all of their shoes with care recommendations.
  3. There is the "Ask & Answer" tab on each individual shoe, which invariably has people asking how to care for the shoe and AE's customer service response to the question (it seems that their answers generally match up with the advice in the pdf).

My frustration came from the fact that all to often, the advice in the three different areas didn't match up. I finally realized the other day, that the pdf chart seems to be their "master" recommendation list and is probably the one to follow, and the advice at the bottom of the page (#1) should be generally ignored since I have found it to be blatantly wrong.

That said, I initially followed the advice in item #1 which is to use Conditioner/Cleaner followed by Saddle Soap. I've done this 2-3 times so far. However, I haven't been very happy with what seems to be an increasingly dull finish on the boots. I thought they had an attractive sheen to them when they were new, and I thought it was a perfect amount of sheen given their rugged purpose. It turns out, their shoe care chart pdf actually says to use Conditioner/Cleaner and then follow with Dark Brown Premium Polish. So, I'm going to try that at my next polishing.

i asked about caring for the long branch and its so many pages behind that i couldnt find an answer. They are the brown grain leather long branch. I love the boots and plan to wear them out but as they are rugged sole, they can take a little more of a beating but i would like to not destroy the leather. should they be cared for the same way my AE strands are or differently because of the leather?

For what it's worth, above is my response to your first question. On their comprehensive shoe care pdf they say to care for the Dark Brown and the Brown Waxy Long Branches the same way.

TurboTropic

Reaction score
I wonder what percentage of AE shoes get marked as being seconds? They seem to have an awful lot at the ShoeBank sometimes, not just for models that have been discontinued.

Last edited:

dustygator

Reaction score
After seeing someone post their Burnished Walnut Routledge's a few pages back, I had to get a pair. Got my seconds in the mail yesterday and they look fantastic. The color is definitely darker than the standard Walnut but personally I think it's the perfect shade of brown.

There were a few minor flaws (shoelace hole punched slightly too large, etc) that I'm not worried about and two that I am.

First, the heel on the right shoe has a very small gap between the heel and outsole.

It doesn't look like it'll be problematic now or even for a while. The gap is only noticeable from the back. On the sides as it gets towards the middle of the shoe it disappears. I'm guessing if the worst happens and the heel completely falls off, I could get it repaired at a cobbler for fairly cheap?

The second one I am more worried about.On the outside of the arch of the left shoe, there seems to be some 'bite marks' in the leather. I'm guessing when they were attaching the upper to the insole/welt that they did it in the wrong place at first and when they undid it, it left holes from the stitching. It's hard to see and wouldn't be a looks issue. I'm wondering if this would comprise the quality of the rest of stitching/welting (unlikely but just in case) and whether this could be a problem if water/melted snow were to get in (more likely).

I'm tempted to keep them because these are by far the nicest shoes I've bought and an exchange would be annoying with having to pay shipping. Not to mention the next pair could have ugly finishing issues which would be an insta-return.

Thanks in advance.

captstatic

Reaction score

I am wearing my new gray Daltons to the office today. I have to say they were stiff as a board out of the box and squeak like rubbing two balloons together. However, after several hours of wear they are softening up, quieting down, and feeling great! Very pleased and even got two compliments already.

Also note... they look lighter in this picture than they actually are. We have very bright white lighting in my office. They are more like a mid charcoal gray.

Chris

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

I wonder what percentage of AE shoes get marked as being seconds? They seem to have an awful lot at the ShoeBank sometimes, not just for models that have been discontinued.

Ummm. What sale is this? President's day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads