Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I haven't had problems with my Strands, no. Thanks for the advice though; I'm gonna keep 'em.

Strangely, the Shoe Care Reference PDF says to use Conditioner/Cleaner (CC) and Saddle Soap (SS) on the "Wax Infused" McTavishes, CC and Premium Polish (PP) on the "Distressed" one, and just CC (but no SS, PP, or Leather Lotion (LL)) on the Cognac McTavishes. Interestingly, the "Saddle Waxy" leather of the Elgins call for CC and LL.

My guess is that SS is only good for the "Wax Infused" leathers, but you would think it would work for "Saddle Waxy" leathers, too. Hell, it has "Saddle" and "Wax" in the name! It seems that CC is okay for just about anything. Do we think the same is true for LL?

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Saddle soap is fine on the natural tan McTavish. I use in on my tan Finches and have been for months. They look beautiful in my opinion. Saddle soap isn't as rough as urban legend has led many to believe. The issue is rather simple. If the shoe has a polished finish that can be stripped away, then saddle soap will gradually remove it. It is actually a great product and the leather isn't being damaged. The pigment that is sitting on the surface of the shoe is just being cleaned away along with the dirt. Saddle soap leaves behind enough oils, etc., so that the leather is quite supple afterwords. It is just best to use it on shoes that are not colored with a surface polish unless you plan on re-polishing them afterwords.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yes, Leather Lotion is essentially just as it's name implies. It will moisturize the leather without doing anything else. It won't clean them. It is neutral in color so won't add or take away any color. Consider it Conditioner/Cleaner without the cleaner.

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yeah, that's what it seems like. I did use LL on my new Tan Elgins, and it made the cloth a bit yellow from removing some excess color, but I'm sure the same would've happened if it rubbed it too much with a wet cloth. They certainly didn't look any lighter afterward, though I probably couldn't tell after just one application anyway.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Leather Lotion is almost always safe, it is the conditioner part of the Conditoner/Cleaner. I use it on my Wilbert's to prevent darkening the contrast stitching and also a few other things, it works great on belts and bridle leather. I now use Bickmore Bicks 4 which appears to be the same thing as LL but you can get a huge bottle at any tack shop for cheap. CC has cleaners added to it and will sometimes lift the dye off the top and spread it to other areas like white stitching. But is usually also safe much of the time IME.

On Saddle Soap, there are a lot of different types out there. The best by far IMO is fiebings glycerine saddle soap. It is 100% glycerine and has no chemicals or cleaners added, think of it as leather lotion. After cleaning tack gear with a mixture of SS and water then letting it dry it is common to polish tack with a bar of it. Pure glycerine is what most museum's and the science community uses to preserve leather BTW. When cleaning shoes or boots with it how you use it also makes a difference. Most people use a soft sponge and water when using SS at least that how I was taught and think most others were too. On things like chrome tanned hiking and hunting boots I use a nylon knuckle brush however and on the first pass am interested in cleaning them. On the second I let the suds soak in and penetrate the leather. After a couple of years of that when they dry the glycerin will actually come out of the boots much like bloom will on shell.

The whole AE thing of using CC then SS is totally back asswards in my way of thinking in treating shoes and boots. And only see the need for one or the other. I use only LL on my Elgins and then not often. For the other rough collection shoes it depends. Agree with Sizzle, would not use SS on the cognac dyed leather. It does however work well on my tan McTavish that I darkened with neatsfoot oil.

6. RROMAN8435

RROMAN8435 Well-Known Member

Anyone have pics of the Grey Dalton's? Thinking of ordering them

7. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Since you PM'd me confirming that it would help you to see them next to some pants in those colors, I snapped a quick picture.

I hope this helps a little.

[​IMG]

Summary of what happened on the rough road of the cognac ones:
    - I was told by multiple AE representatives to use saddle soap, specifically on that color, even though I found it odd.
    - I sent them pictures after.
    - While I was waiting for a reply, I applied neatsfoot oil, which darkened them back quite a bit.
    - Once that dried (about a week to settle around), I threw on some cognac Saphir cream and shined them up a bit.
    - AE apologized for the bad advice, and their customer service department had me mail them back.
    - When they received them, they said they looked like their sample pair, and they sent me pictures.
    - AE cleaned them and sent them back (that's all they acknowledge doing).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

8. Archimon

Archimon Member

Appreciate it! This pretty much confirms the tan for me. The darker ones seem to be a bit darker than I had wanted, and the tans are right on the money. Appreciate everyone's help and recommendations in this thread, very helpful!

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

How much wear have you put on them? I feel with my oxfords that after some time the leather stretches and gap narrows. I'm with wdahab, I don't like my shoes to have no gap as that may mean the shoe is too wide and you can't lace them for a snug fit.

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Man, I really wish they made the Delray in walnut (I know, you can custom order them but it's full price). A walnut Delray on sale would be my absolute dream.

11. Essential

Essential Senior member

I want some good boots for snow or rain that aren't too hideous or expensive.

I'm planning to get the Yuma over the 6" Chippewa boots.

I live in NYC so the rain and snow isn't too heavy most of the time. Would the Yuma's be suitable for NYC weather? Since there's leather on it, I'm afraid it'll get ruined and deteriorate quickly. I used Live Chat and the person who helped me said that it was not recommended for snow/rain. Is that suggestion solid?

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

As long as you take care of the leather after wear you should be fine, but don't expect it to be waterproof.

13. Essential

Essential Senior member

I'm going to try and avoid snow and rain when possible so these shoes won't see too much damage. How should I take care of the leather though? I know it's not going to be "care-free maintenance" like snow boots but will the leather break down really quickly, destroying the integrity of the shoe?

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

So is the Belmont on the 8 last like the delrey?

15. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

It's not so much the snow and rain but the salt they put on the roads. I wouldn't wear leather footwear that I want to keep looking nice in those conditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.