• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Shew, I'm not getting in on this one, only to say that I always found shoes like the strandmok to be paradoxical. I'm glad some can rock them well but I'm not fashion forward enough to try it (maybe I was in college but a wife and kids has grounded me).

The issue for me with the Strandmok is that they are a balmoral style on a formal last made with casual leathers and colored soles. The cap toe seems more formal to me than the wingtip McTavish for some reason, which is a shoe I like. But both are really a formal/casual shoe with an identity crisis. I know brogues are technically more casual with the perforations, but the average onlooker would see that consider the perfing to further cement (lol) them into the formal category. Yet they are marketed as a casual shoe. The weirdest thing about them to me is the shape of the last - it just doesn't work with dad jeans or casual pants unless maybe you're an EEE width!

To illustrate my point, go look at Grant Stone's Fairfield Oxford or their Longwings and see how they pair great with a huge spectrum of pants (I dare not call them trousers) because the last shapes are more relaxed like a Northampton shoe. The broguing and pinking is also larger, more exaggerated giving them permission to be worn casually.

Don't ever want to be snobbish about anything in life (I drive an old Honda), but I just love the classic 'canon' of menswear and base a lot of what I wear off of the time-tested traditions. You'll never find me in Kiton of course but for the people in my area, Jos. A. Bank is considered ritzy so it's easy to stand out.

On the other hand there are days where I just throw on whatever, but at least I try to have a semblance of order and balance. Without which, society collapses into chaos. One of the problems in our culture today is that "nobody" wants to be bound by rules or be accountable to anyone - but living within the rules is necessary for a happy existence. Staying within meaningful boundaries is the freest way to be.

Let us hold on to what little remains of the classic menswear tradition, albeit a lofty ideal by today's standards: it brings some of us comfort. :D

To continue this line of thought, when I started getting into 'nice' shoes, I would wear oxfords, even ones on the more formal side like Fifth Aves, with chinos and sometimes jeans. Had no problem with it whatsoever. For those who want examples, click below:

1634187810890.png
1634187851175.png
1634187892052.png

Yeah... oof on some of those. Anyway. Always hated the snobs (still do), but over time I found myself being more and more uncomfortable wearing oxfords and casual clothes. Not sure why, perhaps it's passive absorption of all the menswear instagrams or whatever other brain hackery from social media in general, but the combination started feeling off.

Have to agree with @manowar that choice of sole factors into this. Today, I would never wear the above combinations, but the Tupelo will still see use with casual clothes. The big lugs and almost two tone appearance of the brogueing just let's it fit right in:

1634188268154.png

There's got to be something to those old dress codes, as like most traditions, it only seems arbitrary to later generations.

Well, perfect time to segue into announcing that it's mid October and finally Fall in California - we had a 67 degree day over here, for goodness' sake! - so out come the cord country jackets and snuff suede Leeds to emphasize why I think bluchers win out over oxfords for casual outfits!

1634188694295.png
1634188656646.png

Thanks for letting me monopolize your photo feed. Have a great end of the work week!

MrOxford

Reaction score
Mr. Park Avenue in the land of the cobble stone sidewalks. Yes, that's oxford in grey jeans. Wear what makes you FEEL.....Gooooooood! Your opinion is the only one that matters regarding your outfit. You doubt yourself because you lack confidence in your decision. Just an observation from my end.

Attachments

• 20211014_111420.jpg
    20211014_111420.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211014_111540.jpg
    20211014_111540.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 17

Adhazem

Reaction score
There aren't many sections of Styleforum that I check out regularly, besides this one, mostly because there seems to be a great sea of self-appointed twatwaffles out there who consider themselves the arbiters of all that is sacred in men's clothing. Sure, occasionally, I'll look at the Poor Man's Watch thread (because I'm poor and like marginally priced watches). Sometimes the Alden thread (because I have a pair of Indy boots). But, that's about it.

Because I was feeling masochistic, I was looking at a couple of rando threads last night in CM and read the thoughts and opinions of a bunch of pearl clutchers who ardently believe that oxfords can ONLY be worn with a suit. There are no exceptions and may God or Cthulu or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Odin or Wolverine or whatever deity/mystical figurehead you prefer have mercy on your soul if you disagree. You will get no mercy from them because what you're doing doesn't land within the rigid confines of some mythical golden era of men's fashion.

If that's what being a CM enthusiast is about, I want no part of it, and I'll stay here where the vast majority of participants are decent people. Then again, I kind of like knowing that I've made the collective eyeballs of the snobberazzi itch when I wear chinos and a polo shirt with cognac Dublin OG McTavishes on a Wednesday morning. Because if wearing these this way is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.

View attachment 1684681

Wearing Oxfords with jeans today to go to the ritzy mall ?‍♂️ This ‘Murica or what? I didn’t leave* a 3rd world dictator ruled country so I can be told what to wear. Rawrrr

*Disclaimer: Said departure occurred legally 11 years ago. No local or international laws were broken in the process. Growl at the end of statement is intended for humor and is not to be mistaken for poor sentiments or actual rage. Thank you!

Adhazem

Reaction score
Glad to see @Neo1 and @middlepP around!

Freeports. I wanted to love them. That last, though. Definitely more vertical space than the 201/First Avenue boot. Also more space than the Alden Indy compared to, here. If that's an issue for your fit, just keep moving. Same with the other recent boot releases. If you don't have a monster instep, they just won't work.

I find the clear lug soles are a comfortable wear, overall. However they are not long wearing. Like many of you, I've a fair sized rotation of footwear. I had to replace the heels in less than a year of (for me) average wear.

Played it safe and got the 11E. I also thought it was reverse kudu for the loden. I guess repello is a type of durable suede? I’m not that knowledgeable.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Played it safe and got the 11E. I also thought it was reverse kudu for the loden. I guess repello is a type of durable suede? I’m not that knowledgeable.
Eh. Rapello is great; full grain. I wouldn’t worry about it not being kudu. Alden sells a kudu that’s not even kudu…

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So is Repello good or not?
I think it is of excellent quality. It stays clean, no creases, and lasts a long time. The nap on Janus is very different. Almost more like a Nubuck that isn’t as durable. Janus can get bald spots pretty easily if you are not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads