• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOS Fifth Street today.
2AB155AF-BAE8-4A75-B5B2-E134B77A03DA.jpeg
40E2B161-6FB9-4BF5-9ED8-4EC9C3BD99F8.jpeg
D6A35D0D-7258-4AD9-B9D8-9F71D54365CA.jpeg
6B7EC04D-96B3-490A-9559-F97CC17C2C47.jpeg

First wear of the sole!
46C4E0E6-029A-4DFA-AA60-F65D29CC7AA0.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is where the recent discussion of AE (i) reducing 201 offerings, (iI) reducing derby and blucher offerings, and (iii) eliminating the Independence, all intersect for me.

I have a high instep. The closest I can get to a good fit in a 5-65 last Oxford leaves a big V gap for me. The Indy line on the 201 was a fantastic option for me. It’s gone. Just about all “classic” dressy oxfords AE has left are on the 5 last. Many of the popular “casual oxfords” it persists in making (which is a bit of an oxymoron to me) - the Strandmonk and McTavish - are also on the 5 last.

Derby’s or bluchers on the 5 last, like my Badlands (Black Hills?), are fine but as pointed out up thread, AE derby/blucher offerings are shrinking in favor of things like the Strand-monk & McTavish.

Im glad I have my black Hopkinsons and dark brown ( remember dark brown??) Jefferson’s. They are great shoes.

I understand AE needs/wants to make a profit but for the shrinking (I guess) market for classic dress oxfords options, AE is pretty much a one last company. And it isn’t a flattering last for me. The seven works great for me but no longer a dress oxford option.

It’s like being a left handed guitar player (as am I) and walking into most guitar stores; lots of cool things to look at but nothing to buy.

EDIT: McTavish is on 201 but the larger point remains
I'm with you on most of this. It does seem like AE is consolidating a lot of models to the 65. I wore my Badlands again today because the 5 last works so well in bluchers for me. Back in 2016/17, it did seem like AE was offering more new models on the 201. I've already mentioned this before, but the 201 fits almost identical to the 65 for me. I know this is not the case for a lot of people on here, which I find fascinating. I would love to see more options on the 201 because it's a last I can trust.

Also, be careful with left handed guitars. I hear that because most manufacturers do not create them frequently, they are often not made as well or need a lot of set-up done to them.
On the flip side, those with really low insteps are being left out of the new boot-heavy offerings unless they like the big whoosh sound with each step. I'm not sure what last the Park City, Freeport, and Landon are made on. The SA I was talking to didn't know and said AE doesn't tell anyone that info on the new releases. For the low instep crowd, you could fit two feet beneath that vamp in each of those. Those are good looking boots, but I can't be a buyer.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the flip side, those with really low insteps are being left out of the new boot-heavy offerings unless they like the big whoosh sound with each step. I'm not sure what last the Park City, Freeport, and Landon are made on. The SA I was talking to didn't know and said AE doesn't tell anyone that info on the new releases. For the low instep crowd, you could fit two feet beneath that vamp in each of those. Those are good looking boots, but I can't be a buyer.
Yes, no one cares about us low instep people. Companies always mention, "This has a high instep" or "accommodating for high insteps" there are virtually no RTW shoes that fit my instep. And 0 AE lasts (that I have tried) in any size combination fit my instep.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Found some new old stock Mac Neils at a store in Hamilton. I’m not a fan of black but you can feel the craftsmanship and they smell delicious. The soul seems different, I think it might be butyl, darker and feels rubbery.

5D0C1EBB-FE0F-4953-B089-1D02D2157A9D.jpeg
C0735157-AD01-430E-8038-E7A6E342FD9C.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics