• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I need to update all of this soon but I posted this back in December in the 2020 thread. I did not bother with the Leeds because it only comes in Black and Cigar.

View attachment 1544176

Notes:
  • Yellow boxes depict closeout pricing.
  • Green boxes depict outliers.
  • I ignored most items, models and colors, that were on closeout and had few remaining sizes.
  • I ignored the all-weather models because they are too new to make any determination on status.
  • I ignored textured leathers as they are on closeout and/or often limited/special offerings.

Assumptions:
  • Black is obviously a best seller and available in everything.
  • Walnut is also a best seller based on how many current models offer it. This surprised me.
  • Dark Chili appears to be the new most important (and probably best selling) "brown" color. Surprisingly, it is offered in everything except a Strand with a Dainite sole. Is this simply an oversight by the product team or a decision (based on data) in which they know nobody orders this combination so it's not worth having it as a stock shoe.
  • Coffee is being dropped except for very limited cases (PA, 5A). If you ever wanted Coffee in one of the other styles, now is the time to get it, at a good discount, before it disappears.
  • Oxblood is another interesting color because I get the sense that many people on SF love it and might consider it over other colors AE offers, especially brown, but it appears it is being dropped in several styles. Apparently, people only purchase Oxblood on the PA and Strand. If you ever wanted an Oxblood 5A or McAllister act now.
  • Cigar appears to be an outlier. It is offered on the Strand which tends to be a good selling shoe so is this color being tested by AE before larger rollout? It does keep with the current trend of "museum" colors. It is also used on the Leeds but having spoken with a few SAs, it appears that Cigar Leeds is not selling well (at least in the Northeast).
  • Mahogany is another interesting outlier. Currently offered on the 5A but in a separate listing which often depicts a special/limited color option. It is not on closeout sale, is offered on 2 boots, and is offered on a few mixed material leather/wool shoes so I am not sure what to make of this one. It is close to Dark Chili so is AE getting rid of remaining leather in this color, keeping it around as something special, or testing it for a larger future rollout?

Disclaimer: This is strictly my opinion based on a very limited data set (i.e. no actual sales data) and I have no information from Allen Edmonds and make no representation that any of this is accurate and/or based on what Allen Edmonds may (or may not) do now or in the future. This was simply a fun exercise that gave me a decision matrix on which to base my own current shoe purchases. I also thought others might find it interesting. I am not sure if @ae_ashley can confirm or deny any of this but I hope she at least appreciates the effort.

Here is the update...And, I really need to do something else when I find myself on a Zoom call that is not interesting and has no value to me.

1611852781868.png

Notes:
  • Yellow boxes depict closeout pricing with decent stock left.
  • Green boxes depict outliers (or unknowns).
  • I ignored most items, models and colors, that were on closeout and had few remaining sizes.
  • I ignored textured leathers as they are on closeout and/or often limited/special offerings.

Assumptions:
  • Black is obviously a best seller and available in everything.
  • Walnut is also a best seller based on how many current models offer it. This surprised me.
  • Dark Chili appears to be the new most important "brown" color. Surprisingly, it is offered in almost everything except a Strand with a Dainite sole. Is this simply an oversight by the product team or a decision (based on data) in which they know this combination is not worth having as a stock shoe.
  • Coffee is being dropped except for very limited cases (PA, 5A).
  • Oxblood is another interesting color because I get the sense that many people on SF love it and might consider it over other colors AE offers, especially brown, but was dropped in several styles. Apparently, people only purchase Oxblood on the PA and Strand.
  • Mahogany is an outlier. Offered on the 5A, and now PA, but in separate listings which often depict special/limited color options. @BFT9000 mentioned he saw a listing for the Strand but it was quickly pulled. It is also offered on 2 boots and a few mixed material leather/wool shoes so I am not sure what to make of this one. Interestingly, the product shots of the PA are more brown and the 5A more red.
  • Cigar appears to be outlier. It is offered on the Strand which tends to be a good selling shoe, so is this color being tested by AE before larger rollout? It does keep with the current trend of "museum" colors. It is also used on the Leeds but having spoken with a few SAs, it appears that Cigar Leeds is not selling well (at least in the Northeast).

Disclaimer: This is strictly my opinion based on a very limited data set (i.e. no actual sales data) and I have no information from Allen Edmonds and make no representation that any of this is accurate and/or based on what Allen Edmonds may (or may not) do now or in the future. This was simply a fun exercise that gave me a decision matrix on which to base my own current shoe purchases. I thought others might find it interesting. I am not sure if @ae_ashley can confirm or deny any of this but I hope she at least appreciates the effort.

Last edited:

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
35 years ago on January 28, 1986, at 11:38 a.m. EST, the Space Shuttle Challenger lifted off from Kennedy Space Center for the last time.
454520EE-8F59-44F7-87C7-18AFF51A7C97.jpeg
"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

High Flight - Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

93C9CA94-3165-43C0-8865-B1E3CD60C9AE.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @ae_ashley's recent announcement of the customer appreciation sale and pics posted early in this thread by @donkeyhoatie, I've become the 2nd (?) thread regular to acquire a pair of Alpine LTT boots, now enjoying their maiden voyage:

20210128_alpines.jpg

And I can report that the Vibram Arctic Grip soles are all that and a bag of chips (especially compared with the near-disaster I had going out in the snow earlier in a pair of leather-soled Aldens).

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @ae_ashley's recent announcement of the customer appreciation sale and pics posted early in this thread by @donkeyhoatie, I've become the 2nd (?) thread regular to acquire a pair of Alpine LTT boots, now enjoying their maiden voyage:

View attachment 1544602

And I can report that the Vibram Arctic Grip soles are all that and a bag of chips (especially compared with the near-disaster I had going out in the snow earlier in a pair of leather-soled Aldens).

Look, I'm the first to admit that these Alpine boots are not sexy in the least. But, I will say that I'd rather be wearing them out in the winter than some other pair of boots with a sole that could send me ass over teakettle at a moment's notice. The Alpines may not be sexy, but they're much sexier than a broken hip. Actually, that may or may not be true, as I've never tried seducing anyone with a broken hip. Then again, it's nice to have goals. OK, fine. After very little deliberation, I'm putting "sympathy seduction" on my bucket list. I'm sure Mrs. Donkey will be thrilled with my efforts when the day comes. Not sure if I'll be wearing the Alpines when I do it, but I might, depending on just how pathetic the cast looks.

By far my most worn pair of 2021, which should continue in the very near future as another 8" of snow is predicted for this weekend. Really impressed by their grip whether I'm out walking the dog or clearing the driveway. Highly recommended if you're looking for function over fashion. Enjoy the winter stability @woofmang! I was not intentionally trying to weasel anyone into a pair, but now that it's happened, I'm kind of glad that I did. Also, I have to admit that their looks are growing on me, bit-by-bit.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, I'm the first to admit that these Alpine boots are not sexy in the least. But, I will say that I'd rather be wearing them out in the winter than some other pair of boots with a sole that could send me ass over teakettle at a moment's notice. The Alpines may not be sexy, but they're much sexier than a broken hip. Actually, that may or may not be true, as I've never tried seducing anyone with a broken hip. Then again, it's nice to have goals. OK, fine. After very little deliberation, I'm putting "sympathy seduction" on my bucket list. I'm sure Mrs. Donkey will be thrilled with my efforts when the day comes. Not sure if I'll be wearing the Alpines when I do it, but I might, depending on just how pathetic the cast looks.

By far my most worn pair of 2021, which should continue in the very near future as another 8" of snow is predicted for this weekend. Really impressed by their grip whether I'm out walking the dog or clearing the driveway. Highly recommended if you're looking for function over fashion. Enjoy the winter stability @woofmang! I was not intentionally trying to weasel anyone into a pair, but now that it's happened, I'm kind of glad that I did. Also, I have to admit that their looks are growing on me, bit-by-bit.

I don't know: I think the Alpines are a handsome boot. They're not gorgeous like my Daltons or my Hamiltons, but they're nice.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Look, I'm the first to admit that these Alpine boots are not sexy in the least. But, I will say that I'd rather be wearing them out in the winter than some other pair of boots with a sole that could send me ass over teakettle at a moment's notice...

The great thing about those soles is that any cobbler can attach them to any other AE GYW shoe you may have so nobody is limited to just those AE boots and shoes that come stock with it.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I don't know: I think the Alpines are a handsome boot. They're not gorgeous like my Daltons or my Hamiltons, but they're nice.
I also have Alpines and Hamiltons. The Alpines with the lace to toe have a chunky look without looking like a work boot. It's a nice casual look that is more unique compared to what others are wearing. The Hamiltons are just straight up sleek and stylish. I like having both because it gives me 2 very different looks.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The great thing about those soles is that any cobbler can attach them to any other AE GYW shoe you may have so nobody is limited to just those AE boots and shoes that come stock with it.

I also have Alpines and Hamiltons. The Alpines with the lace to toe have a chunky look without looking like a work boot. It's a nice casual look that is more unique compared to what others are wearing. The Hamiltons are just straight up sleek and stylish. I like having both because it gives me 2 very different looks.
I actually quite like their look. I wanted to get a pair of Tricker's Ethans when I first saw them, but by the time I saw them, they'd already stopped making the calf version on leather soles that I liked so much and only had 2 light suede versions on big chunky Vibram Morflex soles which I thought looked terrible.

When AE first came out with these, I was attracted to them because of their resemblance to the Tricker's Ethans, but early negative reviews dissuaded me from spending $425 on a pair. Then, when the customer appreciation sale started, I went to see if anything caught my eye, and saw I could get these for under $200... It was a no-brainer.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any fancy Higgins like many of you do, but I am pleased to have this pair. I've been kicking myself all week for passing on buying GME in March of 2020 for $4.00. Was considering buying 500 shares at that time because Michael Burry was buying it. Missed my chance at 200 pairs of shell.

Also, thank you @audog for the laces. I find Alden laces work better with this boot.

IMG_2149 copy.JPG

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't own any fancy Higgins like many of you do, but I am pleased to have this pair. I've been kicking myself all week for passing on buying GME in March of 2020 for $4.00. Was considering buying 500 shares at that time because Michael Burry was buying it. Missed my chance at 200 pairs of shell.

Also, thank you @audog for the laces. I find Alden laces work better with this boot.

View attachment 1544746

There is still time to get in on AMC, BBBY, and BLIBQ (over the counter).

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going with the HamilStrand today.
Maybe next week I will go to no Strand pattern and see how it turns out. Never wanted to be so Strand heavy but many of the interesting shoes this year have been Strandish.
419B5601-1CCB-4E2B-A98D-E3B9E09FDC17.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads