• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes...very odd. I was just in store (Boston State) chatting about the trunk and finally had the chance to see the Cambridge in person (not in my size)...
So a few trunker questions....

1. What exactly is the AE commando sole? Familiar with Alden's commando sole.
2. Higgins Mill will be split reverse ONLY? No chance to get a flat welt?

Cambridge is a real classic. I love my pair and it was my first love with shell shoes.

my first shell pair was a Cambridge

I love that sole. I wouldn't dream of getting a MTO shell Strand with it, but I still love it. I think people really slept on the textured Strandmoks that were released with this sole a season or two ago.

Wow, what a collection!

Obviously I'm biased, but I love how the brogueing and decorations on the Strand complement the random patterns on the marbled shell. Really the only negative is that with a boot you get an even bigger piece of shell with even more variation and color gradients.

Too bad marbled shell requests are off the table. I'd ask AE to find me the craziest piece of marbled black that they have.
I would like a strand sneaker on shell!

by texturesd strandmok, do you mean the Tupelo?

Which begs the question: how close or not are aged natty shell and chili shell?

After enough time, it’s all the same

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by texturesd strandmok, do you mean the Tupelo?

Nope, these: https://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/m...l?dwvar_SF4669_color=4670#q=strandmok&start=1

Inspired by @FatTuesday's amazing collection to take some more shell family pictures.

The king and his court.
PXL_20210927_212652427.jpg

Or maybe the Round Table?
PXL_20210927_213352864.jpg

Should stop while I'm ahead, otherwise I'll start writing fantasy-themed Strand fanfiction...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone think that there is any correlation between the PA Ryder Cup shoe and the final outcome?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ae_ashley I have a question for you that popped up in another thread.

Perhaps you would know, perhaps not.

To what extent are AEs made in America? Is it true that the uppers are are stitched for all AE shoes in the DR, or are those only for the handsewn collection and those shoes listed as "imported"? I understood AE shoes "made in the USA" as constructed in the USA, obviously from leather that is sourced from various tanneries across the world.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To what extent are AEs made in America? Is it true that the uppers are are stitched for all AE shoes in the DR, or are those only for the handsewn collection and those shoes listed as "imported"? I understood AE shoes "made in the USA" as constructed in the USA, obviously from leather that is sourced from various tanneries across the world.
I believe this question will just open up a can of worms. As someone who has worked in the industry, I can tell you that if a company bottoms the shoe in the US, it can be labeled “Made in the USA”. Having said that, AE has people in PW that sew uppers together. But finding enough good sewers has been a challenge for years in PW. Even when the Milwaukee garment industry died, PW was just too far away to attract those workers. I suspect the truth is that they sew some in PW but the DR has more experienced upper sewers. Therefore, I would expect sewing to take place in the DR also. It would make sense for imported leather to be sewn in the DR and American leather to be sewn in PW, but I bet it doesn’t always work out that way.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not ignoring you. Let me take some time to answer this thoughtfully. It's been a crazy day so far over here ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not ignoring you. Let me take some time to answer this thoughtfully. It's been a crazy day so far over here ?

No problem. Thanks!

The wikipedia page and stuff on the internet seemed filled with either inconsistencies or lack of information, so we couldn't come to a definite conclusion.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this question will just open up a can of worms. As someone who has worked in the industry, I can tell you that if a company bottoms the shoe in the US, it can be labeled “Made in the USA”. Having said that, AE has people in PW that sew uppers together. But finding enough good sewers has been a challenge for years in PW. Even when the Milwaukee garment industry died, PW was just too far away to attract those workers. I suspect the truth is that they sew some in PW but the DR has more experienced upper sewers. Therefore, I would expect sewing to take place in the DR also. It would make sense for imported leather to be sewn in the DR and American leather to be sewn in PW, but I bet it doesn’t always work out that way.

I am really just curious. I am not morally grand standing on this point, but I'd like to know. From the shipping import stuff, the leahter comes to the US through Europe. There is no stop offs at the DR.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
My black MacNeils look the same, butyl sole and the sole seems thicker than standard.
@madhat
Interesting feedback. Mine were from a non-AE store that carries a few models. Not sure if the AE just sends them these butyl soles because of the weather in Hamilton or if for a run that was the standard sole on the Mac Neil. Either way they will be covered in a topsole tomorrow!

Great shoes I’m thrilled to have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads