• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
Are your insteps that different?

Both are straight bar lacing, just different crossing below the eyelets. I prefer Euro because it's much easier to adjust. For me it also gives more visual interest if you have the wider gap (which I do not). For the wider V, you might even consider the basic crisscross method.
No my insteps are the same. I am just trying to get them a little tighter. I am asking for cosmetic reasons.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fifth Aves today. One of my first pairs.
B35B69F6-F9A7-4A90-880D-84948C46BA3B.jpeg

SJTM

Reaction score
Just arrived - new (to me) gently worn Dalton Shell. Not sure what color these are - No.8? Burgundy?

These are my first pair of shell cordovan. They seem in excellent condition but were a bit dusty so may have been in storage for some time.

No experience with Shell. If calfskin, I would immediately condition with Saphir Renovateur. Is there a conditioning regimen for shell?

Creasing appears pretty minor - I assume this comes with the territory.

Surprised these sold on Ebay for such a modest price given the condition ($251). Am I missing something?
AE Shell Dalton Burgundy.jpg
AE Shell Dalton soles.jpg

DawgPound

Reaction score
Just arrived - new (to me) gently worn Dalton Shell. Not sure what color these are - No.8? Burgundy?

These are my first pair of shell cordovan. They seem in excellent condition but were a bit dusty so may have been in storage for some time.

No experience with Shell. If calfskin, I would immediately condition with Saphir Renovateur. Is there a conditioning regimen for shell?

Surprised these sold on Ebay for such a modest price given the condition ($251). Am I missing something?
View attachment 1649645 View attachment 1649646
Nice pickup! I use a combination of Bick 4 and/or Venetian Shoe Cream and brushing. That does it 95% of the time. If I want to add a little color, then Saphir cordovan cream in the right color. Some will say a single coat of very light/thin wax, but I don’t find that’s needed. Wax on shell seems to be controversial. I haven’t needed it to get a nice shine. VSC does that just fine. Once you get some rolls or nicks and want to smooth them out, then the use the back of a spoon while pushing either the Bick 4 or VSC will smooth it out. Shell is durable stuff. My post from the other day with my Bradley’s was just VSC. Have fun!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anything over $200 on EBay is a good price for the seller. There are other places to sell if you want to sell for a higher price.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You got a solid price! A light Saphir Renovateur conditioning will help emphasis on LIGHT. It's a buyer's market right now. I've been watching the used/reselling market on shoes/boots like this and they have been selling for a lot less than they were pre covid.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome channel. I subscribed and have watched a couple of videos. Great job.

Thank you. You guys are very kind.

BTW, if any of you guys like to restore things as a hobby, that's where I believe the real interest in content is. I believe the reason Preston and Steve (and many others) are so popular is because people love seeing things restored, especially things that look impossible to restore. I know some of you guys do restore things, so you might consider making a channel.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you. You guys are very kind.

BTW, if any of you guys like to restore things as a hobby, that's where I believe the real interest in content is. I believe the reason Preston and Steve (and many others) are so popular is because people love seeing things restored, especially things that look impossible to restore. I know some of you guys do restore things, so you might consider making a channel.

So true. Watching people restore things is oddly satisfying. So to start your journey down another rabbit hole, I will offer this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads