• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how different each class of Strandmok is fitting. My CXL’s need to be 9.5B. The newest suedes fit great in 9.5C, yet the Wookymoks are pretty damn tight in 9.5D. When it comes to fit, I can feel the pea under 10 mattresses.

The first class of Strandmoks, like the dark navy ones with the lightning blue midsole, are so tight that I have to go up an entire size to fit.

The partially lined cxl and grain leather moks fit me true to size. The 2.0s are a little looser, and the new nubuck and wool moks are a little tighter.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Aberdeen today. Fall is here at last.

F55C4F56-3092-41BD-ADAE-E4C78094EFDC.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out for a birthday lunch today with an old friend who always dresses in suits. Time to put on the suit and some classy gator Chesters to match.

23ED5DDE-B119-4039-BDCD-A85B4FB35C51.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi all-

Long time lurker, first time poster (after registering).

I am hoping someone can help me out with Wilbert related information. Maybe even @ae_ashley will chime in.

I purchased a pair of F1 "1951 Brown" Wilberts about 2 years ago and I have confirmed they are the Made in USA version (says so on the sock liner). I have heard the leather referred to as "Calfskin" and "Outlander Leather" so I have treated them as such using Saphir renavetour and cream 1925.

Today, I was able to find a pair of F1 "1930 Dark Brown" Made in USA Wilberts. They had been sitting for some time because they had to dust off the box when they brought them out to me. I was told by the SA that they are "calfskin" like my other pair of Wilberts. Then another SA came over and corrected him and said they are "Chromexcel".

I got home and called Customer Service but received a somewhat different answer. The CS agent said the 1951-Brown are "Canela Leather" but had no idea what that meant and that the 1930-Dark-Brown pair are "CXL" but again had no idea what that meant.

I know the Wilberts are love 'em or hate 'em shoes but I could really use some help to ensure I use the correct Saphir products on each one:
- Is the 1951-Brown made of calfskin, Outlander, or Canela and what products should be used?
- Is the 1930-Dark-Brown made of calfskin or CXL so should I use Saphir cream 1925 (calfskin) or greasy cream (CXL) and what about renavetour?

Thank you!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd I have a pair of Wilbert and Badlands in the outlander leather. I still don't know if the outlander leather is calf or cow. I mostly use Bick 4 to condition them. I do not polish either of them. Others recommend Lexol, but I've never used it. You can use Saphir conditioners on them as well, but just keep in mind that it might darken the leather slightly. Once or twice a year, I will condition them with a small amount of Saphir creme (neutral) just to remove the blemishes, and it does a great job. In regards to your brown pair, CXL just means Chromexcel. Bick 4 works well for any kind of cxl, as Lexol from what I hear. Leather Lotion also works well on CXL, and again, I may use (sparingly) a small amount of Saphir creme on the blemished parts. Lastly, welcome! Be careful with this place in regards to your wallet.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all-

Long time lurker, first time poster (after registering).

I am hoping someone can help me out with Wilbert related information. Maybe even @ae_ashley will chime in.

I purchased a pair of F1 "1951 Brown" Wilberts about 2 years ago and I have confirmed they are the Made in USA version (says so on the sock liner). I have heard the leather referred to as "Calfskin" and "Outlander Leather" so I have treated them as such using Saphir renavetour and cream 1925.

Today, I was able to find a pair of F1 "1930 Dark Brown" Made in USA Wilberts. They had been sitting for some time because they had to dust off the box when they brought them out to me. I was told by the SA that they are "calfskin" like my other pair of Wilberts. Then another SA came over and corrected him and said they are "Chromexcel".

I got home and called Customer Service but received a somewhat different answer. The CS agent said the 1951-Brown are "Canela Leather" but had no idea what that meant and that the 1930-Dark-Brown pair are "CXL" but again had no idea what that meant.

I know the Wilberts are love 'em or hate 'em shoes but I could really use some help to ensure I use the correct Saphir products on each one:
- Is the 1951-Brown made of calfskin, Outlander, or Canela and what products should be used?
- Is the 1930-Dark-Brown made of calfskin or CXL so should I use Saphir cream 1925 (calfskin) or greasy cream (CXL) and what about renavetour?

Thank you!
Well, a quick Google search turned up not much for Canela leather, and only could find this reference to Outlander (The Outlander leather is a deeply conditioned, mostly smooth, chrome-tanned leather.) HOWEVER, CXL (Chromexcel) the Saphir greasy cream will be fine.
Here is a link to Horween's page on CXL

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd I have a pair of Wilbert and Badlands in the outlander leather. I still don't know if the outlander leather is calf or cow. I mostly use Bick 4 to condition them. I do not polish either of them. Others recommend Lexol, but I've never used it. You can use Saphir conditioners on them as well, but just keep in mind that it might darken the leather slightly. Once or twice a year, I will condition them with a small amount of Saphir creme (neutral) just to remove the blemishes, and it does a great job. In regards to your brown pair, CXL just means Chromexcel. Bick 4 works well for any kind of cxl, as Lexol from what I hear. Leather Lotion also works well on CXL, and again, I may use (sparingly) a small amount of Saphir creme on the blemished parts. Lastly, welcome! Be careful with this place in regards to your wallet.

That is the issue, I have had more people tell me the 1951-Brown is not CXL and why I have used renavetour and cognac 1925 creme on them for the past two years. They look great and I have always assumed they are calf/cow leather but would really like to 100% know.

These Wilberts are just the tip of the iceberg. I also own:
- Alden x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - black calf
- Alden x Brooks Brothers straight tip bluchers - walnut calf
- Alden x Brooks Brothers penny loafers - black calf
- Alden x Brooks Brothers penny loafers - brown suede
- Carmina 531 Derby/PTB - brown suede
- And Meermin Snuff SuperBuck blucher on the way....

Last edited:

cardsfan89

Reaction score
Hey all. I haven’t been too active around here since I’ve worked from home since (and thus haven’t worn ‘real shoes’ regularly since) the start of the pandemic. I wanted to drop by and give a shout out to @AEfaninTampa for the spectacular work he did making me a shell band for my Apple Watch.

This is the second shell band I’ve purchased (the other is a garnet band from Ashland) and he did a remarkable job. The finish, stitching, etc all look professionally done. I’ve worn it daily for about two weeks now and am very happy with it!

Check out a few pics below. Note the strap is bourbon. Posted a side by side with an amaretto wallet from Ashland.

thanks Mike!

Attachments

• 983B2F2C-F623-4F22-82A3-AF04915EDB3D.jpeg
    983B2F2C-F623-4F22-82A3-AF04915EDB3D.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 24
  • 92D73451-43CB-4275-B791-79C3F0870C4B.jpeg
    92D73451-43CB-4275-B791-79C3F0870C4B.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 26
  • D75457B6-A0DC-4F0C-B831-8585E981FE68.jpeg
    D75457B6-A0DC-4F0C-B831-8585E981FE68.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 28

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, a quick Google search turned up not much for Canela leather, and only could find this reference to Outlander (The Outlander leather is a deeply conditioned, mostly smooth, chrome-tanned leather.) HOWEVER, CXL (Chromexcel) the Saphir greasy cream will be fine.
Here is a link to Horween's page on CXL

Again, I'm confused because AFAIK not all "chrome-tanned" leather is CXL/Chromexcel. And it also seems one does not want to use non-CXL products (especially Saphir's stuff) on CXL leather. So, I would like to 100% know if the "1930 Dark Brown" Wilberts I got today are CXL (or not CXL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads