• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good buy, quinoa is an awesome grain and keeps damn near forever as near as I can tell.
It can go rancid. Just enough fat for that.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't purchase in large enough quantities for it to go rancid, as it gets used long before that will happen.
I won’t eat it at all. It is a food that highland Peruvians have eaten for thousands of years. American food companies have sent these people money and white rice. Many of these people have gotten diabetes. Very rare in the past but super common now. It is my PETA stance for people.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Further thoughts on the Rainier boots. DO....NOT....BUY.....THEM...... after wearing for about 5 hours, I finally realized that these things are simply not comfortable. Fit is ok, but they are not comfortable. It's hard to explain, but they just are,,,,,,well,,,,,uncomfortable long term. Arch is not good and while in the right place, doesn't support the arch of my feet. Toe Box is not constrictive, but doesn't feel "right". These puppies are going to Goodwill or somewhere like that, I'm not even going to use them for yard work. Same size as the HM's and Normandy/Caen's which fit and feel great. Just something not right withe the Rainiers....
One note, I've found HMs to be the outlier 1757 fit. My Bowerys and Sonorans both fit narrower than HMs. @Neo1 I think saw something similar with other 1757s he tried as well?
So, you might just stick to HM for your 1757 needs. (the Caen/Normandy is on a special last no other boot seems to use)
Not shoe related but Prime members should be aware.

Further reason why I don't do Amazon.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's that time of the year! Boots out, shoes in.
IMG_20200329_175056__01__01.jpg

IMG_20200329_202418.jpg

Two things off note:
1. Room for another pair! I'm thinking not the Alden wing tips in box above; black suede loafers would be best. I don't need another pair I don't need another pair I don't need another pair.
2. How did I end up with THREE bourbon/caramel shell??? (Plus the whiskey boots).

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For quite some time I was a big believer in taking off shoes when entering the house, or switching to slippers or indoor shoes. It just seemed more sanitary. But my wife adamantly refuses to do it, and then we got a dog so... now I wear shoes inside the house. Like Audog, I vacuum often and steam clean once a week. IMO no shoes inside the house is a big deal if you've got carpeted floors -- and if you've got really nice carpet, it's imperative -- but it's a lot less pressing if your floors are hardwood or tile. it's a nice custom, and before we got a dog I was all in favor of it, even though my wife wasn't, but once the puppy came the floors got dirty anyway so I threw in the towel.

what do you steam clean with? I have concrete floors and am looking at getting something. Same question to @audog

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year! Boots out, shoes in.
View attachment 1363278
View attachment 1363279
Two things off note:
1. Room for another pair! I'm thinking not the Alden wing tips in box above; black suede loafers would be best. I don't need another pair I don't need another pair I don't need another pair.
2. How did I end up with THREE bourbon/caramel shell??? (Plus the whiskey boots).
You have more boots than I have in footwear. And I have a lot of footwear lol.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a shame AE associates don't appear to have a way to work from home, at least not yet. I was strongly considering the tan Strandmok, since the sale makes them pretty cheap. But I want to wait and see if Charleston can get something working.

Anyone who appreciates British shoes, last week was the week to buy them.

@delmar -- welcome back!

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you steam clean with? I have concrete floors and am looking at getting something. Same question to @audog

I've owned the regular Haan and Bissel steamers, which did a very good job, and then I sprung for the Dupray, which does an outstanding job. Caveat: Duprays seem very, very, very overpriced to me. The one I have is basically a steel kettle with an electric heating coil inside that somehow cost $1,000. High-end steam cleaners are a thing in Italy and other parts of Europe, apparently, and they've got to be like 1/3 of the price over there. But I'm here, not there, so... I paid a premium.

The high-end steam cleaners heat the steam to a temperature that is like 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the regular cleaners made by Haan, Bissel, etc. The one I have heats the steam to 316 degrees, for example. And having owned the cheaper models, yes, the extra temperature makes a big difference. A steam cleaner is really excellent for floors. It's like an eraser, basically. It picks up everything, whitens grout instantly, etc. -- it's really amazing. It's good for cleaning stovetops and things like that, too. You can use the steam cleaner on every surface in your house but personally I think it's too much trouble to use in the bathroom (I use the steam nozzle to blast the toilet hinges on occasion, but that's it.). It can be done but spray cleaners work just as well, are easier to use, and aren't as complicated to set up.

The steam cleaner is unbeatable on the following surfaces: floors (tile, wood, concrete, carpet (the kind I have doesn't remove the dirt but it does kill any and all smells); leather car seats, couches and chairs; most fabric upholstery; painted walls (if your kids leave the walls grimy, the steam cleaner erases the dirt just like magic); outdoor tile; surfaces (concrete, tile, decks, etc.); plastic and resin patio furniture; metal; and BBQ grills. There are probably other surfaces that steam works on, too.

But floors... it's like magic. And any really dirty surface that hasn't been cleaned in a really long time, like in your shed, garage, etc. -- again, a steam cleaner is like magic.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I won’t eat it at all. It is a food that highland Peruvians have eaten for thousands of years. American food companies have sent these people money and white rice. Many of these people have gotten diabetes. Very rare in the past but super common now. It is my PETA stance for people.
Are you saying money and white rice caused diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads