• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've received the first of my TS shipments. Absolutely love this pair of green First Avenues. Unfortunately, they left off a pair of the speed hooks for lacing, and I understand this is not a field serviceable part. So, they are getting a return trip and I'm looking forward to seeing them soon.

I offer this as a lesson here for my forum friends...you should always order more than one pair at any Trunk Sale. That way, if you have an issue you have something to wear while the first one gets sorted. :)

View attachment 1262630
OMG

th.jpeg

happens every time I gaze upon AE green shell.
Congrats!!
Add Hooks will be quick and easy. And then...

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice from the group:

I have a pair of burgundy shell Bradley and I’m contemplating going crazy o_O and having them redone with natural/buff split reverse welt and double JR soles. Would look a bit like this:
View attachment 1262603
Might even do the exposed eyelet thing too. So question: crazy? Cool? Or crazy cool?

I have plenty of other formal/dressy options, so that’s not really a huge consideration here.

I’d appreciate any thoughts/advice
?
Like this?
20190814_103811.jpg

Brown shell w/ buff split reverse welt & edges and exposed eyelets on double JR soles.
20190814_103634.jpg

michaeliany

Reaction score
killer shell Bradleys. I want!
Looks like HMs are the footwear of choice today.
Sure looks like it. Makes me want to put mine on once i get home from the pool.
they left off a pair of the speed hooks
Beautiful FAs! But man, i also dont get how that gets pass QC. Sorry youll have to wait longer to enjoy them.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've received the first of my TS shipments. Absolutely love this pair of green First Avenues. Unfortunately, they left off a pair of the speed hooks for lacing, and I understand this is not a field serviceable part. So, they are getting a return trip and I'm looking forward to seeing them soon.

I offer this as a lesson here for my forum friends...you should always order more than one pair at any Trunk Sale. That way, if you have an issue you have something to wear while the first one gets sorted. :)

View attachment 1262630

The real question is whether they are being repaired or sent to dabondo1 and remade

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing English Tan Horween Dublin Leather McGillicuttys (MTO McAllisters with brass eyelets, reverse split welts, flat laces, and Dainite soles) while waiting behind a yellow line around an hour into a very long day. Am probably one of the very few members of this group who enjoy walking around all day on Dainte.

View attachment 1262346

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, long days generate lots of them. Here's the first one.

Bill and I comparing watches (Santa Fe Rule 3) one last time before the start of his final run from Los Angeles. Bill and I have worked together and ridden together on trains for over forty years.

View attachment 1262347

On long days, sometimes "A-E In The Wild" pictures tend to get wilder. Here's the second one.

At the pre Halloween Mystic Night Market event at Diehl Marcus & Company in East Hollywood. It was very mystical.

View attachment 1262348

For fans of drink pictures in shoe threads, had several glasses (out of a steaming cauldron) of Witches Brew (cranberry juice, rum, apple brandy, and nutmeg) at the Mystic Night Market. It was very good and, as you can see from the ingredients, very good for you.

View attachment 1262349

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads and who can't make out the food through the rising steam, here's it is.

Minor food note, the pumpkin cookies went very well with the Witches Brew although was rather bummed out about there being no absinthe cookies with champagne frosting like last week.

View attachment 1262350
Most Interesting Man In The World

most-interesting-man-goldsmith-1504044751.jpg

Nah.

xx.jpg

Hell NO.

IMG_2570.jpeg

Yeah Baby! YEAH!

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I wonder how many on this thread would pay $400 ish for a boot like this in a good calf skin assuming a variety of widths?

No shell, no medallion, no split welt, no rough leather, no brogueing apart from the captoe line (and perhaps along the horizontal seam).

AE seems enamored of starting with an Oxford design and loading it up with less formal elements, presumably because they think (or know) what sells.

So, just curious if such a boot in dark brown or black would be appealing to the folks here.

View attachment 1262332
I’d buy it if I could get the fit right. I’d like it even more if there were no brogue at all.

Rithrin

Reaction score
I wonder how many on this thread would pay $400 ish for a boot like this in a good calf skin assuming a variety of widths?

No shell, no medallion, no split welt, no rough leather, no brogueing apart from the captoe line (and perhaps along the horizontal seam).

AE seems enamored of starting with an Oxford design and loading it up with less formal elements, presumably because they think (or know) what sells.

So, just curious if such a boot in dark brown or black would be appealing to the folks here.

View attachment 1262332
Oh, absolutely! Heck, even a plain captoe stitch (Park Ave, but Balmoral Boot?) would be excellent.

Finally returned from AE and lined up the boots. Shaved First Avenues, and Burgundy Fifth Streets.
IMG_20191019_094847.jpg

I'm no glamour shot expert, so please forgive the plethora of random non-shoe paraphernalia in the background. Also, I was so engrossed trying to line up these shots that I didn't realize the First Ave laces were in such a silly position. That's OK, we're accepting of all shapes and sizes here, right?

IMG_20191019_092553.jpg
IMG_20191019_094738.jpg

Once more, but with sole!
IMG_20191019_094511.jpg IMG_20191019_094700.jpg

Each of these were worn briefly at the shop just in case something went wrong on the interiors and to test fit. The commando sole will take some getting used to. So far I'm surprised how much looser the shell versions feel at 11EEE compared to the calf versions used to fit them - could probably have gone a half size down on both on these, whereas 11EEE Daltons out of the box were a tight squeeze with a need to break in.

Regarding the edge dressing and welt color, I was expecting the more two-tonal brown that came on my Dark Chili Fifth Avenues. Now I'm even more confused on AE's edge color naming conventions. Luckily, the brown these came with does looks quite nice.

Overall, I'm looking forward to breaking these in. Happy weekend, everyone!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely! Heck, even a plain captoe stitch (Park Ave, but Balmoral Boot?) would be excellent.

Finally returned from AE and lined up the boots. Shaved First Avenues, and Burgundy Fifth Streets.
View attachment 1262740

I'm no glamour shot expert, so please forgive the plethora of random non-shoe paraphernalia in the background. Also, I was so engrossed trying to line up these shots that I didn't realize the First Ave laces were in such a silly position. That's OK, we're accepting of all shapes and sizes here, right?

View attachment 1262738
View attachment 1262739

Once more, but with sole!
View attachment 1262741 View attachment 1262742

Each of these were worn briefly at the shop just in case something went wrong on the interiors and to test fit. The commando sole will take some getting used to. So far I'm surprised how much looser the shell versions feel at 11EEE compared to the calf versions used to fit them - could probably have gone a half size down on both on these, whereas 11EEE Daltons out of the box were a tight squeeze with a need to break in.

Regarding the edge dressing and welt color, I was expecting the more two-tonal brown that came on my Dark Chili Fifth Avenues. Now I'm even more confused on AE's edge color naming conventions. Luckily, the brown these came with does looks quite nice.

Overall, I'm looking forward to breaking these in. Happy weekend, everyone!
When it comes to fit, in Shell we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads