• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxblood Fifth Aves on the plane. Heading to Boulder this week for work. These are the only Dainite sole AE's in my rotation.
IMG_20191014_105503.jpg

Last edited:

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a quite predictable seasonal boot Jones going on right now. Truth is I should just be enjoying my Wolverine boots that are finally getting some wears now that autumn is fully upon us. However, the life of a fiend is never that simple.

My main concern is to buy something I can throw on without too much regard for what is going on outside. In fact, it’s preferable that these boots are able to take a bit of rain and snow. Shoes and boots are not fun if you can’t wear them.

So I have a few on the list.

View attachment 1258132
The Sawmill by Red Wing in Briar Oil Slick. Should be able to handle rain and snow. At retail price, the cheapest. Not the most stylish, but a good match for five pocket pants and maybe even chinos with the right top half. However I doubt I’ll want to be wearing these all the time unless it is actually crappy out.

View attachment 1258133
The beloved Higgins Mill in waxy brown suede. Would be pretty much a slam dunk. Plus great price right now. Maybe not as rough and tumble as the RW, but holds its own. Perhaps not adding much variation to my collection, but I’m pretty sure I’d love it.

View attachment 1258134
Alden Reverse Tobacco Chamois Indy boot. Most expensive and probably least weather tolerant due to the commando sole. However, massive sex appeal. What I worry about here is passing too many times on it only to find out that’s it, no mas. Can still do a preorder as of this writing. Might change by the time I hit submit. It’s really my favorite Indy boot style.

But things as they are, I really only should do at most one of these options in 2019. Probably would plan to grab another perhaps in early 2020 and then start prepping for spring.

The part of my brain that can be convinced to buy at all says the waxy Higgins makes the most sense. I can get it now at a decent price first quality and wear immediately. But my emotions are saying go Alden even though it’s twice the price. Darned emotions.

So I’m struggling with that and then I get an email from Charleston with a quite a temptation in the form of a shell SMU. So now I’m back to square one assuming the offer is still on the table. It’s much of what I want but a half size big and also of course not the weatherbeater that I was originally shopping for. You can probably guess based on my recent posts.

I’m opening this one up for comment. For those of you who missed this sort of thing, this one’s for you. For those of you who didn’t, sorry it’s my name on the thread for 2019 at least.

Just be happy it wasn’t Mr Off Topic Guy making an appearance.

Super late to the party, but I had a similar acquisition dilemma and needed you to know that I grabbed a pair of the waxed suede HMs. I haven’t purchased any AEs since falling deep into the Viberg and Alden rabbit holes, but I’ve been pretty enthusiastic about all the recent moves AE has made. That said, that Indy is super nice and I think commando would hold up pretty well in harsher conditions, but I’m not sure I would want to push it as hard as I would the HM.

I also went in a bit of a different direction and grabbed the black version and swapped out the Dainite for the translucent lug (shout out to my local SAs), but I think it’ll make a pretty killer all-weather tough black boot.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(They were in the wrong box). I'm ok with that as long as they'll work size wise for my son.
Super late to the party, but I had a similar acquisition dilemma and needed you to know that I grabbed a pair of the waxed suede HMs. I haven’t purchased any AEs since falling deep into the Viberg and Alden rabbit holes, but I’ve been pretty enthusiastic about all the recent moves AE has made. That said, that Indy is super nice and I think commando would hold up pretty well in harsher conditions, but I’m not sure I would want to push it as hard as I would the HM.

I also went in a bit of a different direction and grabbed the black version and swapped out the Dainite for the translucent lug (shout out to my local SAs), but I think it’ll make a pretty killer all-weather tough black boot.
That will be business.

goalaso

Reaction score
TS Higgins mill came today, with what looks like glue (?), but feels more like rubber, at the juncture of the tongue and the throat. It won't come off easily without me picking at it with my fingernail, which I'm hesitant to do.

Also, the fourth overhead shot of the toes shows the edge of the left shoe jutting out quite a bit more than the right with a staple showing through at the tip?! Both issues are in that left boot. The right seems fine to me

I love the color of these, but would like some opinions as to what to do here. I'm not particularly nitpicky about my boots, but this is also GMTO, and both of these issues seem more structural than superficial, which is what concerns me. aybe not the glue (I don't know, it's at an obvious weak spot), but the staple seems a bit much, no? I plan on wearing these *hard*, got commando soles, and this doesn't bode well in my opinion. @ae_ashley is this within acceptable range of QC for GMTO?

Last edited:

schweezly

Reaction score
TS Higgins mill came today, with what looks like glue (?), but feels more like rubber, at the juncture of the tongue and the throat. It won't come off easily without me picking at it with my fingernail, which I'm hesitant to do.

Also, the fourth overhead shot of the toes shows the edge of the left shoe jutting out quite a bit more than the right with a staple showing through at the tip?! Both issues are in that left boot. The right seems fine to me

I love the color of these, but would like some opinions as to what to do here. I'm not particularly nitpicky about my boots, but this is also GMTO, and both of these issues seem more structural than superficial, which is what concerns me. aybe not the glue (I don't know, it's at an obvious weak spot), but the staple seems a bit much, no? I plan on wearing these *hard*, got commando soles, and this doesn't bode well in my opinion. @ae_ashley is this within acceptable range of QC for GMTO?

View attachment 1259494
View attachment 1259495
View attachment 1259496
View attachment 1259497
View attachment 1259498

I’ll let the experts chime in but...are those chili or shaved by chance? Show them in there glory to us!

Personally I think the glue isn’t a biggie. The staple we’ll have to see what others say

schweezly

Reaction score
If the price is right, I would keep them. No one will notice the slight difference in the shading. You're looking down on the pair, arms length at best, under light. You will see any flaw in any pair. On your feet, 6 feet from your eye, outside in natural light, in motion, after getting scuffed, developing rolls, gaining a patina, they will probably be the most beautiful boots you own. If that doesn't make you want to keep them, we're the same size so let's make a deal! Lbvs! Wear in good health, Sir.

Thank you sir, and sorry I haven’t gotten back to you again on those Alden’s.

Here they are in full direct sunlight. The iPhone seems to make the color difference look worse than it is. You’re right that when wearing and once aged it probably won’t matter. Or at least it’ll be cool in general.

CDF476E2-A3F6-47BE-86D4-4AC23693E393.jpeg

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1259494
View attachment 1259495
View attachment 1259496
View attachment 1259497
View attachment 1259498

The "staple" should definitely be under the welt, they are/were used to keep all the components together (see attached pic of dismantled shoe. By itself, I might accept that its part of the "handcrafted" manufacturing process, but combined with the adhesive that seeped through the lining and outer leather I'd contact your SA as I'd feel those are not a first quality product.

1571081205938.png

schweezly

Reaction score
My quest for well fitting shoes continues, like many others I’m sure. Found these Bainbridge’s at the Rack and like them quite a bit. From what I’ve seen online, they’re on the 222 last which I don’t think I’ve tried before.

Fits almost like a blucher version of the Strandmok, but the toe box is less cavernous on top for me. They also have a sole that’s like the v tread but clear and the toe is leather still

2299E757-F479-426D-BA19-8B9239765CB1.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My quest for well fitting shoes continues, like many others I’m sure. Found these Bainbridge’s at the Rack and like them quite a bit. From what I’ve seen online, they’re on the 222 last which I don’t think I’ve tried before.

Fits almost like a blucher version of the Strandmok, but the toe box is less cavernous on top for me. They also have a sole that’s like the v tread but clear and the toe is leather still

View attachment 1259503
Yup. 222; higher cone and narrow. Doesn't work for me. :(

Also, dovetail heel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads