• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I'm 66 yrs old, so my concept of business shoes may be different, but what the hell, I still think everyone should have a pair of PA's, black or not.
It’s a new time! PA is great. I have it in dark brown. I plan on using a black calf wholecut or black shell full brogue instead.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s a new time! PA is great. I have it in dark brown. I plan on using a black calf wholecut or black shell full brogue instead.
It's always a new time, and someday whole cut and full brogue will be considered "old" and something (God help us it's not some sneaker derivative) will be considered "correct" but the cap toe Oxford will still be there, as a staple of classic men's dress. It's just a classic style.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always a new time, and someday whole cut and full brogue will be considered "old" and something (God help us it's not some sneaker derivative) will be considered "correct" but the cap toe Oxford will still be there, as a staple of classic men's dress. It's just a classic style.
I’d rather see a move to luxury “dress” sneakers than to Nikes

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on McTavish fit. My McTavish in dublin tan came in today. I ordered it in 13 3E, same size as the Bartlett which is on the same last. Tried them on and they feel huge. Do others have similar experiences? Not sure if I just got a pair that is bigger or this is the typical fit.

I love the shoe, but it only shows available in D or 3E. I'd try another width but doesn't seem to be an option.

I have a the cxl version of the McT and a Bartlett, and the soles make the McT feel huge. I get a mild heel slip on the McT (because of the cxl), but overall, the instep and ball fit is about the same, but the heel feels a little looser. If you measure the sole on the McT, you'll notice it's a bit longer and wider than the Bartlett.

You could try 12.5 EEE, but that might mess up the instep fit. Or it's possible that the McT on the 201 might not work for you.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any idea if Priscilla is still there? She was my SA back when she was at the 120 Lasalle location.
She left about a year ago. Other opportunities.

Brit-Abroard

Reaction score
I hate to complain, but since AE started using FedEx parcel post it now takes forever for an order shipped from the TN wearhouse to arrive. Its Been 7 days since I place an order with an expected delivery date of 10/16.
In this day and age of next day delivery from the likes of Amazon how can a company like AE suddenly go backwards. Lord and Taylor pulled the same stunt and I stopped order stuff from them.
I get it FedEx Parcel post is cheaper than regular FedEx, but is it that much cheaper and if so worth pissing off your customers.
I was hoping to be wearing a new pair of boots this weekend, but looks like I will have to wait another week before they arrive.

I am sure it would be fast to have items shipped to a store and then get the store to ship via regular FedEx. Ultimately it will cost AE a lot more money in the long run, but quick delivery is expected now days.

Rant over

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to complain, but since AE started using FedEx parcel post it now takes forever for any 9rder shipped fronnthe TN wearhouse. Been 7 days since I place an order with an expected delivery date of 10/16.
In this day and age of next day delivery from the likes of Amazon how can a company like AE suddenly go backwards. Lord and Taylor pulled the same stunt and I stopped order stuff from them.
I get it FedEx Parcel post is cheaper than regular FedEx, but is it that much cheaper and if so worth pissing off your customers.
I was hoping to be wearing a new pair of boots this weekend, but looks like I will have to wait another week before they arrive.

I am sure it would be fast to have items shippedmto a store and then get the store to whip via regular FedEx. Ultimately it will cost AE a lot more money in the long run, but quick delivery is expected now days.

Rant over
Gap has gone this route also... basically, you either ship 2 day or hybrid now

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate to complain, but since AE started using FedEx parcel post it now takes forever for any 9rder shipped fronnthe TN wearhouse. Been 7 days since I place an order with an expected delivery date of 10/16.

I am sure it would be fast to have items shippedmto a store and then get the store to whip via regular FedEx. Ultimately it will cost AE a lot more money in the long run, but quick delivery is expected now days.

Rant over
I feel your pain, took 2 weeks to get freakin' shoelaces to my house from AE. Amazon would have had them here next day. Guarded Goods 3 days, AE 2 WEEKS?????????????? I realize that there are logistic concerns with a big company, but to take 14 days to deliver something as basic as a shoelace, let alone a pair of shoes, when that is your primary business, is simply irritating. I have ordered footwear from the AE site and had similar experience to yours, however have contacted SA's and had shoes here in 2 days. Something is amiss.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People have lost patience. This is why I dislike the amazon generation mentality.
I don't consider myself "amazon generation" but I guess maybe I am. I am old enough to remember having to mail (yes, USPS) a check to Sears, waiting for the check to clear, then they would ship what ever it was, about a month turn around, but that was in the 1970's, it's 2019 and shipment, following payment via internet, should be rather quick. 2 weeks is not acceptable and indicitave of an issue within the organization, perhaps too many layers of "management" who have to check on things before an order can be filled. If one pays online, shipping should be next day, as that is what drives e-commerce, quick fulfillment of customer orders.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question on McTavish fit. My McTavish in dublin tan came in today. I ordered it in 13 3E, same size as the Bartlett which is on the same last. Tried them on and they feel huge. Do others have similar experiences? Not sure if I just got a pair that is bigger or this is the typical fit.

I love the shoe, but it only shows available in D or 3E. I'd try another width but doesn't seem to be an option.
Welcome to the frustrating world of the McTavish. I can’t get a fit either. The big question is, does the McTavish not sell as well as the Strandmok because of limited size range or does AE not make the sizes because it doesn’t sell as well. AE has done its math and you are SOL. Just like me.

Rithrin

Reaction score
People have lost patience. This is why I dislike the amazon generation mentality.
I'm not sure it's about losing patience specifically. It's that once a new standard is set, everything else starts looking unreasonable. If someone had to deal with 56k dialup, while everyone else had current modems, they'd leave their service provider behind. Companies need to keep up with the times, too.

That being said, Amazon can only do next and same day easily due to massive economies of scale. I'd expect 3 - 5 days as reasonable for standard domestic shipping, and 10 days for international. Anything beyond that is definitely operating slowly.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's about losing patience specifically. It's that once a new standard is set, everything else starts looking unreasonable. If someone had to deal with 56k dialup, while everyone else had current modems, they'd leave their service provider behind. Companies need to keep up with the times, too.

That being said, Amazon can only do next and same day easily due to massive economies of scale. I'd expect 3 - 5 days as reasonable for standard domestic shipping, and 10 days for international. Anything beyond that is definitely operate slowly.
3-5 days is totally acceptable, 14 days not.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel your pain, took 2 weeks to get freakin' shoelaces to my house from AE. Amazon would have had them here next day. Guarded Goods 3 days, AE 2 WEEKS?????????????? I realize that there are logistic concerns with a big company, but to take 14 days to deliver something as basic as a shoelace, let alone a pair of shoes, when that is your primary business, is simply irritating. I have ordered footwear from the AE site and had similar experience to yours, however have contacted SA's and had shoes here in 2 days. Something is amiss.
For a bunch a guys that have enough shoes to qualify for the female gender, it is hard to believe that any of us are worried about a two week wait. In fact, I was a bit taken aback by how fast I got my TS order. It came so fast that I could not avoid spousal customs. BTW, showering myself has become quite old quick. And this crap about feeding myself is just nuts. I am loosing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads