• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So how about this:

You guys will have to work with a store, but you can now put a JR sole on any welted style.

Done and done.

(Puts magic wand away)
This will definitely separate the men from the boys. We all talk about that being a great option but when it comes down to pull out the cash, I am afraid I fit into the boy category more often than the man category.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watched a video tour of the JR Redenbach factory and learned that JR soles are water-resistant. Which is interesting because at the same time it seems many here refrain from exposing their shell uppers to rain. So, perhaps it even makes more sense to have JR soles available for cowhide and calf leather shoes?

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will definitely separate the men from the boys. We all talk about that being a great option but when it comes down to pull out the cash, I am afraid I fit into the boy category more often than the man category.
There is some truth to what you say. It would mean buying firsts, likely at full price plus a likely SMU charge. Many of us here have large collection of interesting things built on 2nds availability. But, if the previously discussed ideas of trunk shoes that do not include shell, we'd be paying full price anyway. In those cases, gimme that JR!
I want to wear out a sole just so I can mail it in for a JR recraft. Problem is, nothing in my collection is worn enough.
Shoe collection problems.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
425E5F06-443C-4523-8FFF-B0CDA9B91BEC.jpeg

In a conservative mood today

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to wear out a sole just so I can mail it in for a JR recraft. Problem is, nothing in my collection is worn enough.
Why's that stopping you?
Just watched a video tour of the JR Redenbach factory and learned that JR soles are water-resistant. Which is interesting because at the same time it seems many here refrain from exposing their shell uppers to rain. So, perhaps it even makes more sense to have JR soles available for cowhide and calf leather shoes?
So, shell is actually very resilient, it's just most people are afraid to not baby their $700 to $1000 shoes. JR is actually a good match for shell because they both are very long and hard wearing.
I'm not afraid of wearing in the rain, and in fact my MTO shell Fifth Sts have seen more days in the rain than not. I've been out in a muddy field more than once in them. Afterwards, I give them a rest and clean them up. Besides originally shell was sold more as a work shoe leather. There's several people (usually those that REALLY use their shoes or have a good collection) that aren't afraid to scuff, wear in the rain, and sun-fade their shell. It's just getting over the mindset that you just spent a big chunk of money on shoes that maybe aren't perfect anymore.

Goal condition for at least one of my Alden boots:
jdkfmcjmf3jz.jpg

goalaso

Reaction score
Why's that stopping you?

So, shell is actually very resilient, it's just most people are afraid to not baby their $700 to $1000 shoes. JR is actually a good match for shell because they both are very long and hard wearing.
I'm not afraid of wearing in the rain, and in fact my MTO shell Fifth Sts have seen more days in the rain than not. I've been out in a muddy field more than once in them. Afterwards, I give them a rest and clean them up. Besides originally shell was sold more as a work shoe leather. There's several people (usually those that REALLY use their shoes or have a good collection) that aren't afraid to scuff, wear in the rain, and sun-fade their shell. It's just getting over the mindset that you just spent a big chunk of money on shoes that maybe aren't perfect anymore.

Goal condition for at least one of my Alden boots:
View attachment 1227712
Maybe a naive question, since I only have JR on one rarely used formal shoe, but I don't use it in the rain or in really any challenging conditions mostly because I expect any all leather sole to be slippery as hell when I inevitably go indoors. (It's less about babying shell). Is there something unique about JR leather soles compared to other leather soles other than their legendary longer-wearing nature? Are they lighter, better grip?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how about this:

You guys will have to work with a store, but you can now put a JR sole on any welted style.

Done and done.

(Puts magic wand away)
Ashley just paid the rent through 2053

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out-frickin-standing!

And the avatar change to match. With a square. I love the resurgence putting squares in the pockets. Such an underused accessory.

Well done.
Pocket square (because my handkerchief is in my pocket, to whoever it is on SF that complained about the term pocket square last year :p ) and bow tie every day for me.
Maybe a naive question, since I only have JR on one rarely used formal shoe, but I don't use it in the rain or in really any challenging conditions mostly because I expect any all leather sole to be slippery as hell when I inevitably go indoors. (It's less about babying shell). Is there something unique about JR leather soles compared to other leather soles other than their legendary longer-wearing nature? Are they lighter, better grip?
I personally don't find *broken in* leather soles of any kind to be overly slick when you go indoors, though I'm the jerk that saves his v cleat heels for rainy day just to spite people on the vintage thread. :p
They are a harder wearing sole with some water resistance. I think some people may argue they wear in wet conditions better than a butyl sole. I'm not dead set on them since I have such a long time before between resoles, but some people do notice a difference wearing them as @ProfilaBinding says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads