• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look really nice! I have never seen the Nomad Chelseas in such rich brown calfskin. That’s a great looking boot.

It comes in coffee. I used saphir medium brown for most, but dark brown on the toes and rears.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it pretty universal to size down in length and go up in width on the 65 last?? Local cobbler measured my foot and said i need to go true to size. Ive now accumulated 4-5 pair on this last and a couple fit well albeit slightly long ( mcallisters and mcgregors) and a few fit ok but snug in width on my slightly wider right foot (strands,strandmoks), with my brown strands being particularly snug.
Not universal, but there is a decent amount that do. The difference in patterns I would have used to justify your variance, but they're all brogues. So, I'm going with manufacturing tolerances. Sometimes the same model can fit differently due to lasting differences. It wouldn't hurt to try the alternate size to see if it feels better though.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it pretty universal to size down in length and go up in width on the 65 last?? Local cobbler measured my foot and said i need to go true to size. Ive now accumulated 4-5 pair on this last and a couple fit well albeit slightly long ( mcallisters and mcgregors) and a few fit ok but snug in width on my slightly wider right foot (strands,strandmoks), with my brown strands being particularly snug.
Not universal. Works for me.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those $3000 shoes?

They are incredible. I get it that they are irreplaceable, but, they are just shoes and wearing them may enhance your mood/day. The rubber soles make them weather ready.

I have that sole on several shell items, many of these have become my bad-weather bad-ass shoes.

I'm not sure how much they were at retail price. I've seen gator seconds on Shoebank for over $1900. Perhaps they were similarly priced as the Sterling? @ace13x or @smfdoc might know how much they cost originally.

I also noticed that in those old AE catalogs from around 1998-2001, you were given all these incredible rare leather options for MTO shoes. It's hard for me to imagine that these days, given how much things have changed.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had wanted an alligator watch band to match my Chesters. Rather than pay a reasonable fee, I elected to make one even though I had no leather experience. I watched a few YouTube videos, and I slept at a holiday inn, so I must be an expert. Right? It was fun, but I would not recommend it to “save” money. I learned a lot and would make some changes fo the next one. Good enough for a cheap watch.

View attachment 1193235

View attachment 1193236

View attachment 1193237

Looks pretty good to me. You’re being too hard on yourself. You may have discovered a finance option for more shoes :-D if that’s real alligator you could sell them.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty common, but not universal. I wear the 65 in the same size as most of my other shoes, although sometimes going up a width in the 65 is a better fit for me (depending on the model).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much they were at retail price. I've seen gator seconds on Shoebank for over $1900. Perhaps they were similarly priced as the Sterling? @ace13x or @smfdoc might know how much they cost originally.

I also noticed that in those old AE catalogs from around 1998-2001, you were given all these incredible rare leather options for MTO shoes. It's hard for me to imagine that these days, given how much things have changed.

I have seen old sales information that had them at $2400 for the gator. Not sure what prices were for the other rare leathers they had at the time.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cannot size down in length and up in width on the 65 last. I got sized last month at the AE retail store. This is an SA who knows my best size for the 65 last. He said I measure a 9D on the Brannock. That size is just a disaster for me in that last. I actually wear a 9.5B in most AE lasts. I am a narrow D width but my heel to ball is 9.5 on left and 10 on the right. I always ask for all three measurements and they have changed over the years.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Father’s Day gents. My Granddaughter is taking me to McDonald’s. Bellevue is my shoe.
View attachment 1193058
Isn't it great when granddaughters (I have 2) "take" you places. It is great to be a Dad, but sometimes I think better to be a grandpa! My 3 yr old granddaughter told me today: "Your name is grandpa, I know it's Jim, but it's really Grandpa" - brought a tear to my eye.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the wife took me shopping today, couldn't resist documenting this:
IMG_6709.jpeg

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If any of you guys are into Trickers, you might want to go to their outlet site before midnight tonight. Not much I was interested in, but you can get a great discount right now.
I wish they had narrows

Discrimination and oppression I tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads