• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Great pic, Bagley!
Look at that cute couple...

D613177C-B9F6-4F0E-9167-DAC943EF8F30.jpeg

JohnPatShop

Reaction score
On average, how many wears should you expect before needing a new sole, heel, or recraft? Assuming normal shoe care routine.
Like a Park Ave? Depends on the walking. If you walk from carpet to the car and no more, you get years. If you walk two blocks on sidewalk, twice a week (they do say buy three shoes and alternate) you could do serious wear in a few months.

Thing is, even rubber soles will visibly "show" wear on the heels after a few long walks. It's just for leather-soled shoes the potential to wear through that leather and expose the midsole is a problem. Six months is a ballpark minimum I'd guess, with heavy use.

Dainite feels to me like it will last for years even with long regular walking, but the gummy soles like the Longbranch and Nomad seem to get softer and spongiform before they physically wear down, within weeks. Somebody posted the heels of their Normandy translucent lug gettin worn by a half inch in twelve months h.

V-tread tapsole is interesting, because the rubber will last longer than a plain leather sole would, but the edge seam between the leather and rubber parts of the sole can pull apart cosmetically .

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BagleyBrown can tell you about his disappointment with them.
Thank you. I always like to click on the worst reviews on an item and in this case they were pretty consistent in their experiences so is enough to tell me to stay away.
Not that I was interested anyway. My growing pack of AE's would just have ganged up on them. Wouldn't be pretty.

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I always like to click on the worst reviews on an item and in this case they were pretty consistent in their experiences so is enough to tell me to stay away.
Not that I was interested anyway. My expanding pack of AE's would just have ganged up on them. Wouldn't be pretty.

I tried hard to like the value proposition.

But the "cxl" is thinner, cheaper and shiny brown cxl flaked off on first wear of Statesman shoes. CS was reasonable, replaced them with better.

I bought a pair of boots and a pair of shoes. Gave the boots 10 wears, shoes got 4 wears... Both pairs are gone to the Bay.

Shoebank is a better bargain.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a standard 10/11 iron leather sole 120 to 150 wears. This assumes that you are an office worker. No more than 6 car uses per day. Outside sales could easily be half. As is taking the train and walking a few outside miles a day. Heels are generally 60 to 80 wears. All my AE handsewn shoes, (Maxfield, Cavanaugh, etc) need new heels in about 30 wears. My Heritage styles are in the 60 to 80 wears on heels. Double thick soles last longer. AE uses thinner soles than 10/11 irons also. I think this is why there are so many sole options these days.

These numbers seem really low to me. Are these numbers based on your actual experience? I know many ITT keep spreadsheets

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These numbers seem really low to me. Are these numbers based on your actual experience? I know many ITT keep spreadsheets
I don't keep track of mileage, which I think is a better indicator of wear since I generally drive to work and walk indoors maybe a mile or two (some on carpet) while other days I may go stomping around on vacation in the rain for 10 miles. And, now, each pair only gets like 6 wears a year.
That said, my rough guess is that I was over 200 wears on mine before needing recraft.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The heels are my experience but the sole study, quasi scientific, was from an abstract that I found from the 1920’s. They were comparing a natural leather sole vs. a treated leather sole. Participants only wore two pairs of leather soled shoes. This meant if it rained you wore the shoe. These shoes were ran through all the elements in city environments. Hell with our shoe collections even only 100 wears equates to 10 years for me.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The heels are my experience but the sole study, quasi scientific, was from an abstract that I found from the 1920’s. They were comparing a natural leather sole vs. a treated leather sole. Participants only wore two pairs of leather soled shoes. This meant if it rained you wore the shoe. These shoes were ran through all the elements in city environments. Hell with our shoe collections even only 100 wears equates to 10 years for me.
For some reason it also depends on the actual, physical leather of the sole. I have one pair of AE Woodstock loafers that wore a hole through the sole in fewer than 50 wears, while a pair of PA's bought at the same time have been worn over 100 times without even coming near to wearing through. Both were worn during my working years, so had car to office on concrete and around office on carpet and/or tile flooring. Both were worn in both wet and dry conditions outdoors during walk to/from car. I simply assumed the Woodstock had a cheaper sole. Currently, I agree with you that 100 wears is now pushing a decade due to number of shoes/boots I have.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AF0FE6B9-3800-448D-921A-096F785C53F0.jpeg
I got in on these over a year after the GMTO was over. The AE shoe abyss is awesome. For me, not so much for AE.

TheTripletDaddy

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of 20-year-old NOS Andover boots. Perfect time to break them out during a cold, rainy Mother’s Day.

988A8366-C2AF-49B8-8AAC-96EDF9B808E0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads