• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been suffering all my life. What killed my metabolism is a completely non functioning thyroid gland. Been on thyroid hormone my entire life. I can eat a lot and lose weight but I have to be vary low carb. Lots of green vegetables, no bread or sweets. Higher fat is better than higher protein for my condition. Oddly enough carbs from vegetables is fine except potatoes. I just get tired of not eating those carbs.
I should have read further down thread, your diet sounds almost Keto.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL I feel your pain. I knew a girl like your wife in college. She lived in my dorm, and each day I'd see her eat a full breakfast, a full lunch, and TWO full dinners. The dining hall offered two different dinner menus and she'd choose...both. Every single day for the whole year. She wasn't eating salad and vegetables either, she'd choose the full menu and finish everything on her (multiple) plates, plus dessert. Then she'd go out drinking on the weekends. If someone ordered a pizza -- she was up for a slice. Never seen anything like it. I'm certain she wasn't anorexic or bulimic. Went jogging maybe once or twice per week, but wasn't really into working out. It's supposed to be impossible for someone to eat this way and not gain weight, but I saw her do this with my own two eyes and I know it's possible... for her.
We have a friend who still, at age 58, can eat/drink like that and doesn't work out or gain weight. Genetics! Her sister is the same way.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife’s the same way. Never ever exercises, Cooks and eats amazing rich meals, snacks, sweets, you name it. 41 years old. Has never weighed more than 100 pounds except when pregnant. Has the figure of a 20 year old gymnast. Meanwhile, I just look at a piece of lasagna and gain 2 inches around the waist.

My kids must take after her, too. This morning, the 9 year old girl (60 pounds!!) ate 3 bran muffins, two sausages, a whole mango, and two glasses of milk. I was sitting there nursing a cup of Joe and half a bowl of bran flakes, and even that gave me heartburn.
Kids do take after one parent or the other. I'm 65, and weigh 6 pounds more than when I graduated from High School and don't do anything special, one son is like me.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the subject of Fat Herbie wallets, GS is selling them on their Accessory page. I am tempted as you guys who have them give rave reviews, but I've been using a Rogue Front Pocket wallet for so long, I don't know if I could switch. Anyone here tried both and have a preference. Oh and wearing Caen's this morning
IMG_4603.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people are just genetically blessed in regard to weight gain, and some are blessed to be married to them. Go get another Cheesecake and a pair of AE, you will feel better.
I did.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrie visually is similar to 511. Obviously fit is a bit different (wider, longer, more instep). You can make your conclusions from there me thinks. ;p pic (of EE Alden/EEE AE) #8 TB, brown 1757, #8 Barrie, black 511
View attachment 1123614
AE footbeds have shorter break in and are smoother underfoot. HM is padded, but not much. It's not poron.

1943. Same reason people had problems with the University and the like (333). It's not a last for everyone. It's a major compromise for me, especially since no EE, so I passed on them for the trunk. Otherwise i woulda been on them like @audog on boots!

Man those are all beautiful. Thanks for the thoughtful post!! That Alt Wien (3rd boot) is drop dead gorgeous!

I need to see my other boots first and then decide if a burgundy AND brown plain toe boot are too repetitive :)

I would have LOVED to get in on the Cornwallis, I just think even the 11.5D fits me funny. It's a totally different last than AE's other makeups.

Does Alden insoles take longer to break in because the leather is harder or the steel shank makes it extra stiff?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AldenxBrooks Brothers low vamp in color 8 today. These are a very dark eggplant color that could easily pass for black under anything but direct light! Trying to ease into work this week.

IMG_20190211_073515516.jpg
IMG_20190211_073432174_HDR.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man those are all beautiful. Thanks for the thoughtful post!! That Alt Wien (3rd boot) is drop dead gorgeous!

I need to see my other boots first and then decide if a burgundy AND brown plain toe boot are too repetitive :)

I would have LOVED to get in on the Cornwallis, I just think even the 11.5D fits me funny. It's a totally different last than AE's other makeups.

Does Alden insoles take longer to break in because the leather is harder or the steel shank makes it extra stiff?
I'm thinking it's a combo of both, but I'm not sure. Considering my past footwear choices, AE's lighter weight more flexible design is more in tune with my natural inclinations

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a combo of both, but I'm not sure. Considering my past footwear choices, AE's lighter weight more flexible design is more in tune with my natural inclinations

Got it, and that makes sense!

I posted in the Alden thread this morning about my loafers because it seems like this one particular pair of Aberdeen lasted loafers is taking longer to break in and I am getting a bit more heel slip because of it. This is despite the fact that they are ALL the same size... :confused: I guess I'll just wear them and wait!

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He has a pair of AE, but look at what else he has.

@audog has a boot collection was the first thing I thought of watching this video. The other was that the shoes looked fairly tired. The old standard of wiping and brushing the shoes after wearing does keep them in good shape. Loved the double Monks!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@audog has a boot collection was the first thing I thought of watching this video. The other was that the shoes looked fairly tired. The old standard of wiping and brushing the shoes after wearing does keep them in good shape. Loved the double Monks!
Thanks for thinking of me? I do have a few pair of boots, but what I don't post often is I have an equal number of shoes! I just wear boots more often last 3 years. I totally agree with Brush, Brush then maybe brush some more. I give my stuff a brief brush before I put them on, and a good brushing before the trees go in and they are put in their bags. And I still manage to scuff/scratch stuff up.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Around 40F here this morning shortly after 5:00am. Trying to stay warm wearing Brogue Suede Strands with knee high wool argyle socks.

P1130144.JPG

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, out in the cold and wind this morning shortly after 5:00am on the way to Peets Coffee & Tea (behind me in this picture).

On a totally non-shoe related topic, since the invention of the internet people who have no idea what they are talking about have been nattering on about totally made up "rules" about how to button your jacket (although your jacket is your private property).

Some of these people have convinced themselves they can tell other people it's wrong to button any button other than the center button an a 3 button Brooks Brothers (or other maker 3/roll 2) jacket and because of the way the jacket is made, it's impossible to button the bottom button without pulling the entire jacket out of shape.

Even in the dark, it's easy to see this isn't true. When it's cold, you can button all three buttons to stay warm.

P1130141.JPG

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads.

P1130139.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads