• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dried mine in the dryer on medium low heat. The waist shrank a little, but stretched back out once I wore them.
I’m not exceedingly hopeful that I will achieve the desired results. That’s a lot of shrinking. But I don’t think I could stretch them back out that far without trying.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we’re talking about denim....
I received an email yesterday from Gustin. It described an amazing denim, and the more I read, the more I wanted it.
C023AD7A-A660-4E9A-A023-2E3C76518439.jpeg
937580E3-0237-46B8-9FBC-AC00AA8CE8FF.jpeg

As I continued to read the description, I anticipated that these would be more expensive than most Gustins. I was not prepared to see a price of $350 though. And you’re supposed to wash/soak these before wearing, so they recommend ordering 3” larger than usual to account for the shrinkage. That sounds too risky to gamble on sizing — especially at that price.

They’re so awesome though.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I received an email yesterday from Gustin. It described an amazing denim, and the more I read, the more I wanted it.
View attachment 1109135 View attachment 1109136

As I continued to read the description, I anticipated that these would be more expensive than most Gustins. I was not prepared to see a price of $350 though. And you’re supposed to wash/soak these before wearing, so they recommend ordering 3” larger than usual to account for the shrinkage. That sounds too risky to gamble on sizing — especially at that price.

I love the textured fabrics like this, but I ain't biting even at basic Gustin pricing

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What ticks me off with Gustin is this:

Note: We recommend going up 3 sizes compared to your standard Gustin size owing to the denseness of the weave and the shrink-to-fit nature of this fabric.

I really wish they would just make the respective sizes bigger. I shouldn’t have to order a size 37.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know of 3rd party insurance that eBay sellers can purchase for protection?
Way back in the day, there used to be escrow services, back when buyers & sellers were more skeptical of the whole eBay "thing". But they were only worth it for genuinely high value items. I don't know if they're still around.

If you're a consistent seller, all you can do is know the rules to protect yourself as much as possible, be flexible and know which fights are worth fighting, and charge more overall to cover the loses from a-holes.

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super low rise since they are falling off me. I think according to the charts front rise is supposed to be about 10.5” so sort of standard but certainly not high.

I think otherwise I would really like the fit. The legs are a bit slimmer in the thighs than Levi’s 511 (but not weirdly tight in the butt and junk area like my recent selvedge pairs) and then end at 14” opening which is nice for many applications.
What fit are they? Brave Star advertises one as similar to Levi’s 511, which is my affordable go to. Slim Straight or something like that

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brave Star update. Sadness has descended on the Hubbins Labs. I was expecting these to be long. Well they certainly are that. The 36” inseam comes in at 38.25”, but that’s not the best part. The waist on these size 31 is a full blown 35”! So needless to say that’s not what I was expecting. Way too big on me. Now I have a pair of unreturnable jeans that will probably never work out.

I need to decide if I’m going to try something drastic to shrink them and in the process spoil their raw beauty or try to unload them.

:censored:

If I can make a suggestion, have you double checked to make sure the jeans aren't unsanforized or "shrink to fit"? 4" extra in the waist sounds ridiculous, even factoring in vanity sizing. But it sounds about right if the denim is unsanforized and you expect 10% or so shrinkage.

If they are just badly sized and they can't be returned, I'd suggest you sell them. You'll obviously take a hit on the price. But, in my experience, trying to shrink denim by that much so it fits almost never works out. You'll just end up with a pair of jeans that sit in your closet.

Cheers!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice looking but we can get shell seconds for that money! Shell vs jeans is not a close call for me!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I can make a suggestion, have you double checked to make sure the jeans aren't unsanforized or "shrink to fit"? 4" extra in the waist sounds ridiculous, even factoring in vanity sizing. But it sounds about right if the denim is unsanforized and you expect 10% or so shrinkage.

If they are just badly sized and they can't be returned, I'd suggest you sell them. You'll obviously take a hit on the price. But, in my experience, trying to shrink denim by that much so it fits almost never works out. You'll just end up with a pair of jeans that sit in your closet.

Cheers!
Brave Star doesn’t sell
Unsanforized.
I agree with you about trying to force them to shrink to fit especially with sanforized. He just won’t get the shrinkage (add George Costanza meme here) he will need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics