1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

If I got 1” shrinkage they’d at least be wearable. If I got more than that I’d be ecstatic.

2. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Since we’re talking about denim....
    I received an email yesterday from Gustin. It described an amazing denim, and the more I read, the more I wanted it.
    C023AD7A-A660-4E9A-A023-2E3C76518439.jpeg 937580E3-0237-46B8-9FBC-AC00AA8CE8FF.jpeg

As I continued to read the description, I anticipated that these would be more expensive than most Gustins. I was not prepared to see a price of $350 though. And you’re supposed to wash/soak these before wearing, so they recommend ordering 3” larger than usual to account for the shrinkage. That sounds too risky to gamble on sizing — especially at that price.

They’re so awesome though.

3. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I love the textured fabrics like this, but I ain't biting even at basic Gustin pricing

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

0FEDF046-8F72-42CE-8BC2-9B95E20217AD.jpeg

Walnut grain Macs. Another model AE saw fit to kill off.

5. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

What ticks me off with Gustin is this:

I really wish they would just make the respective sizes bigger. I shouldn’t have to order a size 37.

6. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Way back in the day, there used to be escrow services, back when buyers & sellers were more skeptical of the whole eBay "thing". But they were only worth it for genuinely high value items. I don't know if they're still around.

If you're a consistent seller, all you can do is know the rules to protect yourself as much as possible, be flexible and know which fights are worth fighting, and charge more overall to cover the loses from a-holes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

7. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

those are great!

8. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

530671EF-D1D7-41D1-B96D-522E96185D3A.jpeg
    Going with lugg soled Strands today.

9. James1051

What fit are they? Brave Star advertises one as similar to Levi’s 511, which is my affordable go to. Slim Straight or something like that

10. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Distinguished Member

If I can make a suggestion, have you double checked to make sure the jeans aren't unsanforized or "shrink to fit"? 4" extra in the waist sounds ridiculous, even factoring in vanity sizing. But it sounds about right if the denim is unsanforized and you expect 10% or so shrinkage.

If they are just badly sized and they can't be returned, I'd suggest you sell them. You'll obviously take a hit on the price. But, in my experience, trying to shrink denim by that much so it fits almost never works out. You'll just end up with a pair of jeans that sit in your closet.

Cheers!

11. James1051

Nice looking but we can get shell seconds for that money! Shell vs jeans is not a close call for me!

12. James1051

Brave Star doesn’t sell
    Unsanforized.
    I agree with you about trying to force them to shrink to fit especially with sanforized. He just won’t get the shrinkage (add George Costanza meme here) he will need.

13. St Hubbins

Slim straight fit. These are pretty close to Levi’s 511 but my initial reaction is that I like it a bit more than 511.

14. St Hubbins

You’re probably right. Selling stuff is such a hassle though. Now I have much disappointment about this purchase and will likely take a break from the pursuit of raw denim for a while. I don’t need additional shopping related heartbreak.

I’m hoping Brave Star will do me a solid and take these back.

15. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Distinguished Member

@James1051 thanks for the clarification; I'm not familiar with Brave Star.

If they don't take them back, new Brave Star jeans are selling for anywhere between $60 and $120 on ebay, depending on the model. It shouldn't be too difficult to unload them yourself or via consignment; just be clear about the crazy sizing and the actual measurements.