• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m most impressed with @Roycru’s penchant for high end desserts. How does he do it?

if by "how does he do it?" you mean "how does he stay so thin?" I wonder this as well.

maybe he doesn't finish all those desserts but knowing that would make me sad

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clearly you didn’t see my chewing gum post.

I’m afraid that today I’m all out of nice.

However, I do like those shoes. Does that count?

Oh, I saw the chewing gum post. I was reluctant to mention it again for fear of triggering post traumatic sticky disorder.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blue too.

pbrandes

Reaction score
First of all, AE uppers production is still going on at Port Washington and Caleres has even made investments in upgrades specifically in uppers production. So the narrative that they’re only assembling shoes in Port Washington isn’t correct.

screen-shot-2019-07-11-at-11-07-52-pm-png.1205664

This image was from only a few months ago.

What are these cheaper materials, as I haven’t noticed a significant change since the Paul Grangaard’s days (when there was a noticeable drop in quality as production was significantly ramped). However, the last pair I bought, made under Caleres ownership, was actually substantially better executed than my previous pair made a year before the Caleres deal.

If you’re referring to “SpeedWelt” stuff, as misguided as I think that construction is, it’s a fully GY welt shoe that uses two layers of complicated expensive Poron construction, including a hybrid sole and bunch of other weird unnecessary stuff. The “SpeedWelt” stuff is anything but cheap to make, and that’s why it carries a premium price tag.

As for Alden, it’s not an either/or decision with Alden any more than it is with Rancourt (or C&J or Carmina), and I don’t agree with the idea that one “switches” to Alden. Alden makes different shoes, with different lasts and different details at different price points. Alden makes a better shoe today, and has for the better part of the last 20 years, and you pay a premium for that shoe.

Alden also don’t cycle numerous styles like AE does. This is one of the main reasons they’re never going to be directly comparable; we had posts yesterday about @BFT9000’s 47 pairs of different strand models, no other maker can even come close to claiming 47 variations of just a single model. Many folks on this thread (myself included) own both brands, with Alden’s often getting paraded around on the thread (which I think is a good thing - I’d like to see more Rancourts also).

As for prices, what price increases? In spring of 2015 MSRP for a pair of PA’s was $385. Today that same model under Caleres is $395. They’re not even keeping up with inflation, which should have seen the price rise to $416 bucks!

Finally, yeah, that’s pretty ****** that your friend lost their job just before retirement. However, let’s get specific: did the company exclude this person from retirement program/pension elegibility (a lawsuit waiting to happen)? How long were they with the company? What role was this person in (one of Calares’ first actions was to centralize customer service)? Was this individual specifically singled out or was this part of a post acquisition reorg?

I’m not cheerleading for Caleres, hell my favorite AE era was early 80’s to early 90’s, and my favorite single AE model hasn’t been made since 1978; most of my AE’s are vintage (as are most of the models I covet). But, I also think, for the most part, they still make a good product. I also think most of the gloom&doom bandied around here a year ago hasn’t come to pass and, frankly, Caleres hasn’t done a terrible job (so far) of running AE.

These are my long-winded opinions, take ‘em for what they’re worth (about 1 trillion Zimbabwe dollars).

That's a very good analysis, and pretty much where I'm at as well. My three TS'19 purchases were perfectly executed; one was delayed and redone in production but the point is they caught it, so it means they were paying attention to quality. The fact that they even had a trunk show (and are reportedly planning another), plus promoting Ashley and spending the $$$ for her registered presence here shows an encouraging commitment to their specialty niche customers. So, I'm cautiously optimistic.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting down mirror shines! :-D Could probably use another 10 layers... maybe 20? View attachment 1218374
Looks great to me. Tell me, are those McAllisters with a double sole?

I think all wingtips should have mongo gunboat double soles, especially oxford short-wings.
1950’s French Shriner & Urner:
sMBjXcK.jpg

1978 AE MacGregor’s:
i8P1IZs.jpg

Double soles make you feel slightly better about stepping in chewing gum.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great to me. Tell me, are those McAllisters with a double sole?

I think all wingtips should have mongo gunboat double soles, especially oxford short-wings.
1950’s French Shriner & Urner:
sMBjXcK.jpg

1978 AE MacGregor’s:
i8P1IZs.jpg

Double soles make you feel slightly better about stepping in chewing gum.

Yessir, McAllister with Danite rubber soles. I just saw your other post and I feel you. I stepped on a pack of mustard in Madison park and splattered all over my Fifth Ave's. I cried.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were you using AE's wax?
Did you resort to some heat, or were you able to do it with just a dab of water and lots of layers/elbow grease?

I use Burgol Shoe Polish, Saphir Mirror Gloss and some water. I start with Burgol as base layer, then apply 2 layers of mirror gloss, shine, 1 layer mirror gloss, shine, 1 layer of mirror gloss mixing with a tiny bit of Burgol, shine, finish off with Burgol and shine. So yes, lots of elbow grease! :laugh:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of us who don't have an assortment of shoe care items. MD has this:
I need a shoe box, and some ancillary stuff wouln't hurt. The mixed reviews on the sturdiness of the box itself has kept me away. To be fair, same mix exists for the pricier, BB version, too. Could be same maker. Who knows. More importantly, anyone have a suggestion for a reliable aka sturdy shoe box? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members