• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap this video has over 1.4 million views. That's a LOT for a video on shoe restoration.

Yeah, but 1.3 million of those views are from me.

What’s interesting is that he illustrates that gemming failure isn’t that big a deal, as he just glued it back in-place to the insole. Pretty sure whatever glue he used will keep the rib in place if the shoe needs rewelting in the future. Watching his videos really helps illustrate that Steve can pretty much fix anything, provided the core materials themselves haven’t disintegrated.

Here’s another interesting video; it features a fairly recent vintage Dalton, with no wooden shank (some have ‘em, some don’t):

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but 1.3 million of those views are from me.

What’s interesting is that he illustrates that gemming failure isn’t that big a deal, as he just glued it back in-place to the insole. Pretty sure whatever glue he used will keep the rib in place if the shoe needs rewelting in the future. Watching his videos really helps illustrate that Steve can pretty much fix anything, provided the core materials themselves haven’t disintegrated.

Here’s another interesting video; it features a fairly recent vintage Dalton, with no wooden shank (some have ‘em, some don’t):

Yeah, he basically told me in email that he can do anything I want, but that the price is going to be very high for what I wanted. I was considering sending him my olive Strandmok and having him remove the reverse welt and completely trip the insole to 8 instead of 8.5. The bill would have been over $500. I couldn't really justify that on a Strandmok shoe and decided that I would just try to find another pair someday.

I really like that he can replace the lining if needed. I have a small blood stain on my Park Aves (merlot) that I might want to eventually get replaced. Also, I noticed that the lining on my Bartlett and Hopkinson are wearing out a bit in the heel for some reason. If I need Steve to do this, it's good to know he can.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1207607
Don makes it look so much better. It must be the angle and the lighting. I’ll work on that...

Oh, and Cronmoks.
View attachment 1207609
View attachment 1207608
So, yeah, the sole stitch isn’t the best, but the repair is barely visible and for $15 I can live with it!!

Ok, now stop laughing about the Don outfit...I live in Florida, what do you expect?

Hope you got a laugh. @ae_ashley seriously, stop laughing.
Wow, that’s a deep V you got going on there. Not sure that’s an SF approved look.

As for the shoes, what are those and what happened to them?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he basically told me in email that he can do anything I want, but that the price is going to be very high for what I wanted. I was considering sending him my olive Strandmok and having him remove the reverse welt and completely trip the insole to 8 instead of 8.5. The bill would have been over $500. I couldn't really justify that on a Strandmok shoe and decided that I would just try to find another pair someday.

I really like that he can replace the lining if needed. I have a small blood stain on my Park Aves (merlot) that I might want to eventually get replaced. Also, I noticed that the lining on my Bartlett and Hopkinson are wearing out a bit in the heel for some reason. If I need Steve to do this, it's good to know he can.
Wait, he said he could trim the insole, as in change the shoe’s size?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found my next big purchase fellas.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...r/SF2733.html?dwvar_SF2733_color=2733#start=1

ATrainer_2733_GreyBurgundy_Angle_web.jpg
Yeah, well, could be worse... they could be doing that crazy fake vintage/worn-out sneaker thing that Church’s did a year or so ago.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, he said he could trim the insole, as in change the shoe’s size?

Yes. Because basically he said that removing the reverse welt would be very similar to "constructing a whole new shoe". If he had to create a whole new outsole, it wouldn't be anymore difficult to adjust the insole. The warning he gave though is that the upper might look funny because it was originally designed for 8.5 instead of 8. That was the final clue for me to not consider it because it seemed too risky in how it might turn out. He can basically do anything (including make shoes from scratch) but it all comes down to how much time you want to pay him for.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please check your calendar.
Today is not April 1st, and I’m not falling for this.
Unfortunately, it's true. Quite a few of the new AE are sneakers of various flavors. Guess a company has to attract new customers, as us old guys won't be around forever. The founders of AE must be rolling in their graves.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Because basically he said that removing the reverse welt would be very similar to "constructing a whole new shoe". If he had to create a whole new outsole, it wouldn't be anymore difficult to adjust the insole. The warning he gave though is that the upper might look funny because it was originally designed for 8.5 instead of 8. That was the final clue for me to not consider it because it seemed too risky in how it might turn out. He can basically do anything (including make shoes from scratch) but it all comes down to how much time you want to pay him for.
He’s absolutely right, rewelting requires relasting because you have to tack the insole and upper to the last while removing the Goodyear stitch that runs through the rib, upper and welt, which is full recrafting (same thing AE does when you send them for recrafting).

However, to re-trim the upper and insole, ungluing and regluing the gemming in the process, then retacking to the smaller last AND then rewelting, is the most next-level insane thing I’ve ever heard (and I’m assuming, based on my understanding of shoe construction, that I’ve surmised the process correctly, as I don’t see any other way he could do it). That he can do that level of work is remarkable. And yeah, 500 bucks sounds right for that level of effort.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He’s absolutely right, rewelting requires relasting because you have to tack the insole and upper to the last while removing the Goodyear stitch that runs through the rib, upper and welt, which is full recrafting (same thing AE does when you send them for recrafting).

However, to re-trim the upper and insole, ungluing and regluing the gemming in the process, then retacking to the smaller last AND then rewelting, is the most next-level insane thing I’ve ever heard (and I’m assuming, based on my understanding of shoe construction, that I’ve surmised the process correctly, as I don’t see any other way he could do it). That he can do that level of work is remarkable. And yeah, 500 bucks sounds right for that level of effort.

To be clear, he didn't say he would trim the upper. He just said he could re-build and adjust the insole and outsole because that would basically be "making a new shoe". But the upper would remain the same, except for being pulled over a smaller last. It might look weird with the vamp and eyelets looking too large for the shoe. The real price would likely be even higher than his estimate. You could get a pair of brand new AE shell or C&J handgrade shoes for that price -- not a good investment in my eyes. Or hell, Cheaney offers a MTO olive shoe in that price range as well.

This whole story just shows you how unwell I am in regards to olive shoes. No normal person would consider this craziness.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be clear, he didn't say he would trim the upper. He just said he could re-build and adjust the insole and outsole because that would basically be "making a new shoe". But the upper would remain the same, except for being pulled over a smaller last. It might look weird with the vamp and eyelets looking too large for the shoe. The real price would likely be even higher than his estimate. You could get a pair of brand new AE shell or C&J handgrade shoes for that price -- not a good investment in my eyes. Or hell, Cheaney offers a MTO olive shoe in that price range as well.

This whole story just shows you how unwell I am in regards to olive shoes. No normal person would consider this craziness.
You're not alone on the green front. I considered hand painted olive shell for my Carmina chukkas, but went rubi since that's what drew me to the brand.
Something else green may be en route.
20190309_142131.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads