• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

matwa

Reaction score
Leeds 2.0 today

07-16-19 Leeds.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "modern spade dress shoes" but I'll assume it's a compliment and say "Thanks!"

I live in the US, but I bought them from Antonio Meccariello (https://www.meccarielloshoes.it/)
Yes, a compliment! Spade shoes are pretty cool, as posted below.

Thanks, gentlemen! I'd never heard of spade soled shoes, and was interested to read that the spade-shaped sole tradition has been preserved in modern times by the Italian shoemakers (he mentions Bestetti, but Meccariello is another great Italian shoemaker). And now, looking at them, it's clear that the soles of these actually are spade-shaped, and they also have a very narrow waist, just like the shoes he shows from the 20s and 30s (in fact, the waist on these is even narrower than the ones he talks about from the 20s and 30s; the soles are only about 2 inches wide right in front of the heel). You can see the influence very clearly in the pics of these shoes on the Meccariello site:

Good looking shoes! Not sure I could pull those off, but they're very European.

75 days since last wear. You can TRY to take my shell card away...
View attachment 1207727
Those are spectacular! Brown edging on them? I do wish I was able to post shoes on here more often!! Keep the faith!

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a compliment! Spade shoes are pretty cool, as posted below.

Good looking shoes! Not sure I could pull those off, but they're very European.

Those are spectacular! Brown edging on them? I do wish I was able to post shoes on here more often!! Keep the faith!
Thanks! Yup; navy and green both shipped with brown edges this year. I know something will pop up...a friend was pretty unceremoniously let go Friday as well

robster35

Reaction score
Do any of u D width guys go to an EE width on the 65 last?? Ive got a few pair that i purchased TTS. Im 10.5D and thats what a local cobbler said i should go with in the 65 but the more i wear them they just dont feel right. Pinky toe squished. Feel a bit long,etc. Recently i got a deal on some Strands off ebay but was sent a 10 EE instead of 10.5D. I put them on and they felt great but figuring they would end up stretching too wide i sold them. Now im feeling stupid as that was probably the right size for me. I see guys in reviews who normally wear a D width stating they were a EE or even EEE in the 5 Last. Just curious if any of u guys who are D width drop the length and go up to EE or even EEE ?

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of u D width guys go to an EE width on the 65 last?? Ive got a few pair that i purchased TTS. Im 10.5D and thats what a local cobbler said i should go with in the 65 but the more i wear them they just dont feel right. Pinky toe squished. Feel a bit long,etc. Recently i got a deal on some Strands off ebay but was sent a 10 EE instead of 10.5D. I put them on and they felt great but figuring they would end up stretching too wide i sold them. Now im feeling stupid as that was probably the right size for me. I see guys in reviews who normally wear a D width stating they were a EE or even EEE in the 5 Last. Just curious if any of u guys who are D width drop the length and go up to EE or even EEE ?
That seems a bit severe; I'm 11.5EE and wear 11EEE. Many people go down half a length and up a width, so 10E for you. Have you tried that? I also wonder if you're actually not a 10.5D, and were just not as accurately measured?

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting; how does resetting the heel work? Does it involve modifying the heel stack or trimming down the sole to make the heel sit flat?
I really can't say as I did not see a dramatic difference with the shoes when they were returned from Bedo's. They just sat with the heels flat and felt infinitely better when I walked in them.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. TS 2019 MacNeils for me today.

robster35

Reaction score
That seems a bit severe; I'm 11.5EE and wear 11EEE. Many people go down half a length and up a width, so 10E for you. Have you tried that? I also wonder if you're actually not a 10.5D, and were just not as accurately measured?
A couple different times thats what they measured me as. My toe was actually slightly over the 10.5 mark but not quite to 11. Widthwise i was right on the D line. Ill try the 10E. Ordered a pair from zappos to try. Whatever last the AE Elgins were made on is pretty much perfect for me. Noticably wider in the toe area

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.