• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Store Report:

Stopped in today with the original intention of trying on the Boulevard and maybe MacNeil. Ended up scratching that plan and made it a bit of a shorter visit.

While I was there, I chatted with my favorite local SA for a few while I tried on a handful of non-shoe items.

View attachment 860220
FIELD JACKET IN OLIVE
Needless to say I loved it and it just felt so good on my bod. Good thing I have some self control. At $945 full price, nope. For Current sale price of $708, I'd think about it but probably still pass. In a moment of weakness, I could see paying $550 or less. It's a beauty, though.

View attachment 860221
QUILTED BLAZER
I've never owned a quilted jacket before. I liked the concept, but for $375 MSRP and made in Turkey, I'm probably going to shop around first.

View attachment 860222
CARDIGAN WITH ELBOW DETAIL
Really it's just a regular cardigan. You could probably pick up a $40 merino cardigan and sew on some elbow patches. That being said, I do want a navy cardigan of some sort.

Unrelated to my store visit. I just realized that AE sells Baracuta jackets and they are also on sale for $290. I can't decide if they're worth the premium, but I seriously love the look of both the G4 and G9. Maybe not 100% crazy about the collar, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I am currently researching more economical Harrington jackets. I'll report during a future episode of Hubbins On Clothes.

This concludes the store report.

I love my navy Baracuta G4. Not a fan of the elastic waist/cuffs of the G9. I like that olive field jacket but can't see paying 2-3 times what I paid for my olive Barbour Ashby. Not sure how you feel about waxed canvas but that's another option.

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 860208 View attachment 860209

Eager to break out my natty shell Daltons, but still not 100% sure they’re not too redundant with, among other things, my Alden tan calfskin wingtip boots (which I wore today, pictured above).

Daltons: View attachment 860211

I actually like the toe shape of the Dalton’s more, the Alden’s seem a little wide and flat- it seems like a last more suited for a work boot almost.

Stop it. Just stop it...

387A2943-8C65-4530-A165-ECEB3D34D38A.jpeg

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea and likely would already have a pair if the Fifth Street were (i) a plain punch or stitchcap, and (ii) on a different last. I just think if you are going to go with something that traditionally is pretty formal, i.e. a black oxford dress boot, it doesn't need a medallion.

Of course, a certain poster here with obviously more juice than I have got a pair where they deleted the medallion AND put it on a different last for him (the 201). And this was after they supposed killed the MTO program. It was a great looking make up.

Yup, that's a pretty amazing version: shell, no medallion, and on the 201 last. Be still, my heart. Even so, I've got a regular pair in dark brown, and they're gorgeous.

Those are my boots. Only worn them twice, briefly. May sell them. AE lasts just aren’t suited for my feet. 8.5D 201

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love them. My initial pair was sized wrong (a 65 problem, not a poron issue), and it took me a while to find them in my correct size (eBay!). They are perfect rain shoes, and very good as travel shoes.

I don't have much static with poron - I go up a width for the 65, and perhaps it robs a small amount of volume, but not a big deal IMO. These are poron, and I'm fine with it - balances with the Dainite well.
Thank you!

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bagley, I don't know why you left the AE threads, but please stay this time. Awesome boots! The shoes are nice too. ;)

Thank you Ace, never totally left but my closet runneth over and I blamest Hubbins. :) The weasels on style forum are responsible for a great upgrade in my life over the last few years so I will be around even if not regularly.

When I was first collecting AE, the one thing I could not buy was patina. New is nice, but, well worn is better. I love the way most of my boots are aging and will be sharing. Thank you for the note!

Anyone have experience with the Gobi Chuka boot? Shoe bank has Olive suede in my size and it looks good in the pix.

Gobis fit a little big, as noted, maybe size down (I did not)
--I love mine and would have wood for olive suede.

:inlove: Love this! Were these a shoebank pickup?! Hoping I am pleased with my Kudu MTO on the translucent lug.

The new store in Palo Alto coincided with some other special, so I had them made up. Not much exciting shoebank action in size 15. :)

I really want to love the translucent lug, think it will surprise and please folks. Maybe, the reason it is translucent is so as not to draw eyes to it, so, it can protrude a little more. Either way, I have found the Dainite sufficient so stayed with it.

I think we will be pleased with the material, we were not shown a very good picture. Was amazed that customer service offered 'other materials' for people on that list who were not happy with the darker material; possibly the first Loden Higgins Mills are coming too!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you Ace, never totally left but my closet runneth over and I blamest Hubbins. :) The weasels on style forum are responsible for a great upgrade in my life over the last few years so I will be around even if not regularly.

When I was first collecting AE, the one thing I could not buy was patina. New is nice, but, well worn is better. I love the way most of my boots are aging and will be sharing. Thank you for the note!

Gobis fit a little big, as noted, maybe size down (I did not)
--I love mine and would have wood for olive suede.

The new store in Palo Alto coincided with some other special, so I had them made up. Not much exciting shoebank action in size 15. :)

I really want to love the translucent lug, think it will surprise and please folks. Maybe, the reason it is translucent is so as not to draw eyes to it, so, it can protrude a little more. Either way, I have found the Dainite sufficient so stayed with it.

I think we will be pleased with the material, we were not shown a very good picture. Was amazed that customer service offered 'other materials' for people on that list who were not happy with the darker material; possibly the first Loden Higgins Mills are coming too!
Loden HM- YES!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, not at the same time on the same pair of shoes, if that's what you mean.

My bad, I thought Roycru had L shoe straight laced and R shoe diagonal laced but it appears R shoe lace stays just weren't aligned for some reason

EDIT: to add the photo that prompted my initial question

laces.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads