• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newberry

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the new AE wingtip boot? It's called the Stirling...

20170724_161611.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DaveCPA

Reaction score
Should I be concerned that the threads on the bottom of my soles are touching the ground? I would have thought there'd be more sole depth to prevent that, but I'm new to nicer shoes.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might notice the blue insoles in the Oak Streets. They're to help me take up volume in my shoes. I originally weighed 315 and am now between 195 and 200, depending on the day and my carbs. This has resulted in the loss of a lot of volume in my feet. Oddly enough, they haven't gotten any narrower, only less voluminous. My shoes were starting to not fit, but going down a size was still to small I went in to the SCP store with my brown shell Strands (the first and most expensive shoe that I was having the problem with) for help. Byron suggested a pair of Road Warrior insoles. Apparently you can buy them separately. This pair saved my sanity. I only need it with my pairs that are SUPER broken in (which at last count was less than 5) but those are some of my favorite pairs. I know recrafting will relast the shoes, but they're not that worn out yet. Anyways - these are comfy and you should buy them.

View attachment 818173
I also use these in my Merlot Strands which I bought a half size large when I was unsure of my 65 bal sizing. They cured too much volume up front, but I still generally prefer to have direct contact with the leather insole.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I be concerned that the threads on the bottom of my soles are touching the ground? I would have thought there'd be more sole depth to prevent that, but I'm new to nicer shoes.
The stitch used in GYW footwear is a lock stitch as far as I understand it. Therefore, in theory at least, there shouldn't be any worry. Personally, I'm still in the wait and see if that's true phase as my oldest pair is only sixteen months old, and none of my pair(s) have experienced anything more than light to medium duty. I have at least one pair where the sole stitching has begun to make contact with the ground when I walk and I have not encountered any issues.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reporting that I've ushered another new member into the club. After prolonged exposure to views of my shoes and much expressed interest recently, the boss man went to our local retail store and had himself fitted last Thursday while I was on my Wisconsin Northwoods expedition. Later the same day apparently, he ordered a pair of olive Strandmoks from 6pm.com for $147 and was showing them off to me today after they arrived. For better or worse, this style is probably eliminated from my list of potential future purchases.

So, in addition to my own ridiculous rate of acquisition, members of my growing list of referrals (four now) are collectively up to ten pair(s) on their own. @AllenEdmondsCEO, you can just drop my commission check in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads