• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

terratoise

Reaction score
IMG_20170724_200049.jpg
IMG_20170724_200025.jpg
So I got measured and tried on the 9.5 EEE in the park avenues. I was wondering if the V is too wide. I have very wide feet and I tried both the 9.5 and the 10 and the 9.5 did fit better, but the 10 was still snug. Should I size up so that I could potentially make the V smaller? Pics are for the 9.5 EEE as I forgot to take it for the 10. Also, I noticed that in the ankle area there was a small pocket of space when I walk. Is that normal?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, vintage question. Does anyone know what color sharkskins were used for the Nassau, I've seen black, brown, and something similar to a Chili color? Is there any official list of what was available?

The Nassau did come in shark. Styles 8511 and 8514 were black sharkskin. 8551 is "Tampico sharkskin." 8564 is brown sharkskin. Not really sure what color "Tampico" is, but its listed in the 1971 AE catalog. Looking in the catalog does not help as it was not in color.

amphillips79

Reaction score
The Nassau did come in shark. Styles 8511 and 8514 were black sharkskin. 8551 is "Tampico sharkskin." 8564 is brown sharkskin. Not really sure what color "Tampico" is, but its listed in the 1971 AE catalog. Looking in the catalog does not help as it was not in color.
As usual you are a wealth of information! Thank you!

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this was tampico.
2576779386_cce27bff80.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 818826 View attachment 818827 So I got measured and tried on the 9.5 EEE in the park avenues. I was wondering if the V is too wide. I have very wide feet and I tried both the 9.5 and the 10 and the 9.5 did fit better, but the 10 was still snug. Should I size up so that I could potentially make the V smaller? Pics are for the 9.5 EEE as I forgot to take it for the 10. Also, I noticed that in the ankle area there was a small pocket of space when I walk. Is that normal?

I feel for you brother as you and I have the exact same feet (I'm 11 EEE) and I get the EXACT same result with the Park Ave. The V will not close worth a damn and, if I go longer to get a better closure, I get bowing in the throat of the shoe you are describing. I tried every combination and never got the PA on the 65 last to work. Not AE's fault. It's just the way I am built. I had to go to Alden to get a balmoral closure for a cap toe, but it was a miraculous change for me. They are not cheaper and harder to find, but the fit works. Here is a pair of cap toe balmorals I wore today in #8 shell for closure comparison and some black shell perfed cap toes. You can PM me for more details on this issue.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1922.JPG

Last edited:

New2Suits

Reaction score
View attachment 818826 View attachment 818827 So I got measured and tried on the 9.5 EEE in the park avenues. I was wondering if the V is too wide. I have very wide feet and I tried both the 9.5 and the 10 and the 9.5 did fit better, but the 10 was still snug. Should I size up so that I could potentially make the V smaller? Pics are for the 9.5 EEE as I forgot to take it for the 10. Also, I noticed that in the ankle area there was a small pocket of space when I walk. Is that normal?

If EEE is still snug in the PA, I may suggest at least trying on a few pairs of Hopkinsons- Having both in 11EEE, the Hops seem to have a lot more room in the vamp and toe area, but similar room in the heel. Sure its 100 more, but if you can wait for sale, buy seconds, or find on ebay (or if 100 bucks isnt an issue), id say theyre worth it if the fit is better.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the new AE wingtip boot? It's called the Stirling...

View attachment 818739

I'm a big fan of the McT and the Cronmok. This new boot seems to take the best from both. I haven't seen this new sole in person. Tap lug on this would be awesome!

(And I think... Or at least hope the medallion is a QC error)

terratoise

Reaction score
I feel for you brother as you and I have the exact same feet (I'm 11 EEE) and I get the EXACT same result with the Park Ave. The V will not close worth a damn and, if I go longer to get a better closure, I get bowing in the throat of the shoe you are describing. I tried every combination and never got the PA on the 65 last to work. Not AE's fault. It's just the way I am built. I had to go to Alden to get a balmoral closure for a cap toe, but it was a miraculous change for me. They are not cheaper and harder to find, but the fit works. Here is a pair of cap toe balmorals I wore today in #8 shell for closure comparison. You can PM me for more details on this issue.
Unfortunately there isn't much selection when you're in Toronto/Canada. Do you think that the V is too wide? I don't mind a V in general, but this being my first closed laced shoe I'm unsure of the guidelines on the wideness. Also, the minimal bowing exists in the topline and I was wondering if it gets worse over time or remains the same.

If EEE is still snug in the PA, I may suggest at least trying on a few pairs of Hopkinsons- Having both in 11EEE, the Hops seem to have a lot more room in the vamp and toe area, but similar room in the heel. Sure its 100 more, but if you can wait for sale, buy seconds, or find on ebay (or if 100 bucks isnt an issue), id say theyre worth it if the fit is better.
Unfortunately I'm in Toronto/Canada and do not have access to the hopkinsons. The EEE is snug, but comfortable. My main concern was whether the V was too wide and if the slight bowing on the topline would get worse over time.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, vintage question. Does anyone know what color sharkskins were used for the Nassau, I've seen black, brown, and something similar to a Chili color? Is there any official list of what was available?
I have black and brown pairs.
I didn't know that there was a chili.
Now my collection feels incomplete.

New2Suits

Reaction score
Unfortunately there isn't much selection when you're in Toronto/Canada. Do you think that the V is too wide? I don't mind a V in general, but this being my first closed laced shoe I'm unsure of the guidelines on the wideness. Also, the minimal bowing exists in the topline and I was wondering if it gets worse over time or remains the same.

Unfortunately I'm in Toronto/Canada and do not have access to the hopkinsons. The EEE is snug, but comfortable. My main concern was whether the V was too wide and if the slight bowing on the topline would get worse over time.

Now I see what you mean.. I dont have as much experience as many on here... but I would imagine that as you compress the corkbed in the heal some over time, your foot may sit slightly lower in the shoe, allowing you to close that V up a bit more. I agree, it looks a bit off as they fit now..and I dont know if that theory will make enough (or any) difference.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not a horrible V in my opinion. It will close a little bit after break in. However, that's about as much V as I would want for my own shoes. When I wear my bourbon Strands, I get a similar V to yours on my right shoe. You could go up 1/2 size and reduce the width, but I think those look fine as they are. The most important thing is to ask how they feel. If they feel uncomfortable, definitely do not keep them. You could go with the Hopkinson, which will give you a bit smaller V. I'm going to recommend you not try the Strand though, since the V on the Strand is slightly more narrow than the Park Ave.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen worse. Are you wearing dress socks? I'm thinking your a candidate for the 201 Hopkinson. It may seem like a lot more for a similar shoe, but its definitely an upgrade and IMO a better fit is worth the extra $100 alone.

In the PA, would try the 10's again, but ask for a different pair, sometimes you get a pair thats a little smaller which is what may have happened in your case. The 'pocket' is not normal, but it seems to be an issue that pops up on AE's when the fit isn't good.

Edit: The V-will improve as other have said, but what bothers me is the gap goes at an even angle all the way down to the first pair of eye-lets. To me, that indicates the shoe is definitely too small for your instep, and even with the cork compressing you won't get great closure.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a fellow 9 EEE flipper foot, I have found that 65 last shoes work best with only the thinnest of socks. Even then, I have a black pair of PAs that still have a borderline wide gap with socks that could pass as pantyhose, while another pair of Oxblood PAs close almost completely. Both pair in 9 EEE. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads