• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. I avoid traveling with Aldens. It always got me to thinking about why nobody has come up with a fiberglass or carbon-fiber replacement for the traditional metal shank.
My cobbler can swap out the steel shank for a fiberglass one when recrafting. I believe that Crockett/Jones uses a wooden one so no problem at metal detectors.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At the pumpkin patch with the kids. Complimented a gentleman's shoes. Turns out they were AEs. He didn't know the model. I looked them up and turns out they are Olive Baton Rouges. Nice.

I have that same shoe, but dang it is hard to find occasions to wear them. Had them a year and worn them about 3-4 times. Time to pass them on.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote: Frankly, I think it is the white sole. They get so dirty and will not clean up well at all. It's a personal quirk and I am just kind of strange that way. Otherwise, they do look good with jeans and are comfortable. Maybe I will give them more time.

WadeGarrett

Reaction score
Are merlot and oxblood close enough in color that I could wear my merlot belt with oxblood shoes without it looking odd?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My personal fit issue is a high instep and larger right foot that causes a tight vamp. (I deny that this is the bi-product of being a fifth generation Texan whose ancestors grew up close to cousins, but I digress.) I got to the point where I just will not tolerate the snugness in some shoes and they had to go. Life is too short to wear ill fitting shoes. One of the victims of the purge were my Malones. Rubber sole, split toe, padded insole for comfort.

But what to replace it with as I still wanted a kick around casual shoe that is good in wet weather? Fortunately, as I pointed out in a previous post, the Stockbridge was one of the top 20 best selling shoes 10 years ago and it, too, has a rubber sole, split toe and padded insole for comfort. The external stitching on the vamp is more casual, and the split toe seam is external as opposed to the internal seam for the Malone. The Malone is on the 511 last, and I think the Stockbridge is on the 444 last and roomier. Their prior popularity makes them commonly encountered on Ebay and elsewhere and the price is often very good. This pair was obtained for just $25, but you will likely find them higher and still quite reasonable.

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have that same shoe, but dang it is hard to find occasions to wear them. Had them a year and worn them about 3-4 times. Time to pass them on.

This guy tied it all together. He was wearing an orange cotton half-zip sweater with elbow patches, an olive puffer vest and medium dark denim. I loved the whole look. It does seem like a pair of shoes like that would have pretty limited applications, however. I think Olive Strandmoks with orange laces would have worked equally well.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get shoe box remorse? any of you gents with large collections...I bought a shoe rack that holds about 24 pairs of shoes/boots and really thinking of throwing out some of the boxes....my attics are stuffed to the gils so that is not an options and trying to clean out the basement to make is a space to be used by the family....and maybe a small proper wine cellar for myself :)

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get shoe box remorse? any of you gents with large collections...I bought a shoe rack that holds about 24 pairs of shoes/boots and really thinking of throwing out some of the boxes....my attics are stuffed to the gils so that is not an options and trying to clean out the basement to make is a space to be used by the family....and maybe a small proper wine cellar for myself :)

I've thrown away most of mine. Kept a few really cool boxes, but no more than 10.

mingus2112

Reaction score

How do you like the Clark Streets? There's a 10E on the shoe bank that I've been eyeing.I tried on a Delray on same last, and I had some heel slip, so I'm hesitating.

I love my Clark Streets but my normal size, 12b, was a weird fit. They were comfortable, but felt a little long and got bowing around the ankle while just standing around. I actually sized down to am 11d and they fit me perfectly.

mingus2112

Reaction score

Thanks. I do love the fit and feel of these boots they are a great cross between shoe/boot. I actually have 2 the russet brown and the tan and the tan is my true beater boot. What were you thinking when you say darkening currently I just use the oxblood polish on them. But I like to experiment I have been working on the look of my tan Freiburgs by trying some black polish on the tips. See what you think. It's still a work in progress but my idea was to just give the toe some other look...like I said still experimenting.
So you say the creasing was so bad you got a credit mind posting a pic I am curious. My russet brown pair was a 2nd and all looked good except for the inside quarters the one shoe was worse than the other. See the pic I am not sure if I could have complained or if I should have complained. I did some searching and this wrinkling I noticed on many pairs and some ppl had pics of it for almost the whole shoe. So I was thinking maybe it is normal for this boot, but once I put them on I decided that it really can't be seen when wearing and if so I convinced myself it was part of the character of the shoe making them unique.
The toe box on one of mine looked like the side on yours. You can find pics a few months back in this thread. I looked quick, but couldn't find them. Ultimately, they're seconds and returnable. You can't really expect more that a refund (assuming you haven't worn them) in most cases. I was just really on the fence about them as they were VERY comfortable and were kind of OK as rough looking shoes. . .but that's not what I bought them for. I asked if there was any further discounting to be had since they pretty much looked damaged and the best I could get was a small credit towards a future pair of shoes. That was good enough for me. Your mileage may vary (I had been purchasing a lot of seconds from the same store around that time!) As far as darkening, I wasn't thinking anything in particular, just trying to make the creasing less noticeable on the one toe. -James

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks ...I am leaning towards that direction too. I think early on I bought so many used pairs when I was deciding what I liked and did not like size wise/overall fit etc that once I started buying new/2nds that the boxes became extra special...lol......about 30 minutes ago I found a pair of Carmina and Alfred Sargent suede boots I completely forgot I had...pretty much sums up why I am purging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics