• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@naspratt Fortunately or unfortunately, the Lucca (predecessor to the Verona with a mini-lug) is hands down my best fitting loafer also. I bought the black calf & black suede as 1sts at the same store visit (something I'll never do). Off the top of my head I can't think of anything to compare it to as far as slip ons go. Shape wise I've always compared it to 511 bluchers or bals. They are great shoes - take care of them. Love seeing others talk about how good they are besides me.

These are the most comfortable soles of any shoes I own; it feels like I'm walking barefoot. Only problem is that the rubber top lift on the heel is very thin and I have a heavy stride, so they may need a heel replacement earlier than they would otherwise.

The 511 also fits me really well; my Hamptons (first pair of AE) are one of my best fitting pairs. I've been thinking about the brown grain Leeds for awhile now. And suede or shell Dundees.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bourbon dainite McAllisters for a rainy Tuesday.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you a Shoe-holic? I know more than one of us have admitted to hiding shoes at work to keep the wife in the dark or having new shoes delivered to some address other than our home. Others of us have braved the situation only to be confronted by accusations of being a shoe-holic. But perhaps some of us do have a problem in this area. To that end, I completed this handy "10 warning signs of having a shoe problem" to see where I personally stand against such accusations.

Lying About or Hiding Your New Shoes - Yes, but I realized this is going to be a problem because I cannot clean and shine my shoes at work. I guess I could, but then people are going to ask me "why don't you do that at home?" I think in about 2 or 3 months, I will just come home in them and see if she notices.

Newberry

Reaction score

Anyone here have any experience with the AE Montgomery Shoe? How's the fit? What last? Also, do you guys recommend buying used AE shoes? Because I'm looking for a brown split toe casual shoe and I can get these for less than $50 used. Thanks!

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone here have any experience with the AE Montgomery Shoe? How's the fit? What last? Also, do you guys recommend buying used AE shoes? Because I'm looking for a brown split toe casual shoe and I can get these for less than $50 used. Thanks!
Sorry no experience with that shoe, but I personally don't buy used shoes because of many reasons. One of them being that used shoe may have "foot impression" of previous owner as cork adjusts according to foot shape and walking style. Such shoe may not ever be comfortable to you. Obviously people have different opinions on this
( Also the idea of someone else's sweaty foot inside the shoe will always haunt me) .
You can try Delray from shoebank if available in your size. That may cost more than what you want but will be worth it.

Newberry

Reaction score

Sorry no experience with that shoe, but I personally don't buy used shoes because of many reasons. One of them being that used shoe may have "foot impression" of previous owner as cork adjusts according to foot shape and walking style. Such shoe may not ever be comfortable to you. Obviously people have different opinions on this
( Also the idea of someone else's sweaty foot inside the shoe will always haunt me) .
You can try Delray from shoebank if available in your size. That may cost more than what you want but will be worth it.

Honestly, foot impression and sweaty feet of previous owners are the main reasons why I never pull the trigger on used shoes. It's just that the $50 had me thinking a bit on them. Also how is the fit on the Delray? I was actually thinking about buying them on the RDA Sale but instead got the Daltons and Strands.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with a SA from the shoebank and was informed that shoes from BB that show up on shoebank aren't necessarily flawed and are typically there because BB is overstocked or is changing their product line. Perhaps this was already well known but I figured I'd share since I hadn't heard this before. Now if someone could please purchase the last pair of bourbon carlyles in my size that would be great. Itchy trigger finger and a lady who would be less than thrilled about another pair of shoes in the house not sized for her.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Buying new shoes is easy as they are supposed to be first quality. This places expectations in a very narrow range. Used shoes, however, provide an extreme range in terms of quality. They can be completely worn out to only being worn 1-2 times. There are two questions: Should I buy a used shoe and should I buy THIS used shoe. I have purchased both new and used and here are some things I consider when looking at a used shoe.

1. Is the style and color still available as a new/second quality shoe? If so, what savings am I receiving with the used shoe?
2. Is the used shoe first quality, second quality or recrafted? Look at the sole to check this out. This will affect the overall price that would be considered reasonable.
3. Does the sole show the stitching is still in good condition or worn through? This example is a used shoe that has been worn only 2-3 times.

Has the sole already been previously repaired? I tend to avoid such a shoe unless it is a candidate for purchase and immediate recraft.

4. Check the heels to see if there is still wear available or will they require new heels now or in the very near future. New heels will cost $20-25 and must be done to prevent damage to the leather under the rubber. This image shows the left heel rubber is nearly gone and will require prompt repair.

5. Is there any cracking of the leather on the side of the vamp? This is beyond the normal creasing. Cracks should not go through the leather and it can't be repaired.
6. Check the insole and inner lining for excessive use, holes and stains. The holes indicate the upper is likely worn out and will be difficult to fix.

7. Check around the collar for signs of damage at the heel and damage to the piping.

8. Make sure that the shoe can be returned for any reason. Ebay power sellers are now required to accept returns for 30 days after the sale.

In short, I make sure that the shoe is clean, free of damage, stains, can be returned and looks like it has a good deal of life remaining. An example of a good used shoe with some wear can be seen here. Be patient, there are many good used shoes with only slight wear and you should wait for those. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also how is the fit on the Delray? I was actually thinking about buying them on the RDA Sale but instead got the Daltons and Strands.

It's hard to say in concrete terms, but a lot of people report saying the Delray is slighly more narrow that the Lasalle, even though they share the same last. I own the Lasalle and I've tried on the Carlyle, and they feel exactly the same in terms of size. AE sales people have told me the Delray will fit exactly the same as the Lasalle, but not everyone's experience indicates they feel the same. Compared to my Leeds, the Lasalle and Carlyle are not any tighter in the arch area, but it does have much less toe room. The 511 last is very generous in toe room, while the 108 isn't. Both lasts seem to be about the same length (long). I prefer the Lasalle over the Delray because of the softer insole, but I also see the Delray is being slightly more sleek (the stitching is smaller), but the Lasalle's stitching is lower to the ground, making it more similar to the Wilbert in terms of design on the split toe. I have a pretty normal, skinny foot with some arch, and I find the 108 last works slightly better than the 511.

I'm not sure when the next 2nds sale will be, but you could try them and return them if they don't fit.

lemmy127

Reaction score

One of them being that used shoe may have "foot impression" of previous owner as cork adjusts according to foot shape and walking style. Such shoe may not ever be comfortable to you.

Like you said, to each their own, but a recraft by AE or a resole by a cobbler that does things the right way (like B. Nelson) will completely negate this concern. The cork gets replaced and flattened out.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Not sure who asked, but the Montgomery is "prime time" 222 last, I think it was part of the executive collection but BB will have poron. If you have a narrow width and high arch, you should be good, otherwise it might be wise to look elsewhere. I'll probably pick up a pair at some point if I completely wipe out my backlog.

2. I tried the LaSalle & Delray at the same visit. I couldn't tell them apart, other than that I thought the LaSalle looked nicer.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple things I noticed today...first I am a complete shoe whore. I need to work on mentally not judging people's shoes, but it gets me through the day. Second, I need to start taking pictures in the natural light. When I was walking to my car after work, I seriously contemplated taking one for the forum. However I had already posted 3 today so I didn't (the fact that I wanted to stop to take a picture of my shoes in the sun is where the shoe whore comment comes in from earlier.)

Anyway, just a suggestion to take them in the sun if you can. It really really brings out the true beauty. Now I just need to find a proper drinking glass to compliment them...

Dzzzzz

Reaction score
So I bought PA, FA and Strand this month, all in the same size. I've found the V gap on Strand is noticeably wider than the other two(they are all firsts so tin shouldn't be a manufacturer defect), it doesn't bother me much because I have a high instep and the shoes otherwise fit me well, and the V gaps are not overly wide, but I'm still curious if you gents have experienced this difference between those 5 lasts shoes?

BobStrauss

Reaction score
I need some help with sizing for the new Macneils. I wear a 10.5D in the Strands, Mcallisters, and Cronmoks (65 last) and they all fit perfectly.

I heard the Macneil ran wide so I ordered a 10.5C. Way too tight. Ordered the 10. Ordered the 10.5D and they're still too tight - and possibly too short as well. They look amazing, though. Any suggestions on finding the right fit? 11E? Or is my foot just not meant for the Macneils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads