Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Ok then Kahuna...based on your experience with crepe, I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on these, thanks for the perspective...plus I notice the crepe part of the sole is pretty thin, so maybe the debris on it wont be quite as visible as it would be on a thicker crepe...my only dilemma now is whether to get them now, or wait to see if they go on sale in the spring sometime...decisions, decisons

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

2. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

I have a couple of crepe soled shoes from other makers: a tramline boot in periwinkle buck from Danner and a short wing oxford in dark brown suede from Brooks Brothers (probably by Anderson Sheppard). I was skeptical of the crepe sole on each but figured I could live with it and replace it with something else when they're ready for new soles. The edges of the Brooks crepe came painted (almost necessitated by the style/color of the shoe) and that quickly wore off. My cobbler hooked me up with an old bottle of some dye that's since been banned in California (which is to say it works really well). Keeping the edges 'dressed' has been a chore and even then the sole limits the shoe's versatility. I will definitely be switching to leather soles. The Danner crepe seems denser or stronger but the color quickly went from a nice tan that complemented the shoe to the usual grungy grey. The boots are very casual so I don't mind it as much but I'll definitely be looking for alternatives at resole time.

As for the Newberg, I would have used white Gumlite soles with a colored layer under the welt like they did on the Baton Rouge and some Strandmocks. The crepe looks interesting while new but once it turns grungy grey I think it will be incongruous on a double monk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Subscribing late

4. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

1st post....I've been lurking for a few months once i got hooked with my 1st pair of AE shoes. I'm now the proud owner of 6 pair.

Anyone own the Sea Island Suede loafers and have an impression? They're now on my radar and am curious what you guys think of them?

5. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first suede and my first chukka purchase. I am quite pleased with these Dundees, especially at $86.74 shipped from Ebay (and to think I almost bought Clarks desert boots). The uppers look great but I think it's time that I start looking at edge dressing for these and the rest of my shoes.

I am now at 4 pairs of Allen Edmonds in just 2 months...the addiction...I mean investment continues...

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Anyone know when the next Shoebank sale might be?, I have my eye on something.

9. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Rocking the new Leiden today. One of my few that I actually paid retail for...kinda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

You won't get too much love on loafers here. I'm rocking with my Cody's today

[​IMG]

11. mc2k

mc2k Well-Known Member

@NorseHorse

Strange that you and I happen to be wearing the same thing today, although mine aren't brand new[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm looking to add nothing but loafers for my next few pairs. They have really been growing on me lately. And those Cody's look awesome

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Traveling for work and things are a tad bit cooler than in Texas. Brown grain First Aves about as formal as I'm getting considering the circumstances.
    [​IMG]

14. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

15. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Went home for lunch today and there were my new brown burnished McGregors waiting for me. Trying to decide if I like them or not. I guess I'm just not sure if the 65 last is right for a LWB. Dunno, it just seems a lot more sleek than I was expecting. The vamp seems really elongated. It's definitely dressier than I was expecting a more casual shoe to be. I held it up next to my oxblood Strands and it might be a touch longer, nothing noteworthy, but it's definitely narrower at the toe. They fit about the same width-wise, but it wears like a longer shoe.

I own a vintage pair of American Gentleman burgundy LWBs and something about their proportions seems "right" to me for lack of a better term. It's squatter and a bit wider with a double sole and allowed me to drop down 1/2 size. Maybe it's because it's the only LWB I've ever owned and that's my expectation. Or, maybe it's the color issue and brown is just not the right color for this one. I dunno. I'm missing a brown "dress" shoe in my rotation and was hoping this would fit the bill (I definitely work on the casual side of "business casual").

In a nutshell, I'm just babbling. The McGregor is different than what I was expecting. Now, I just need to decide if that different feel is a good thing or a bad thing.

What are your thoughts on the McGregor? Love it? Hate it? "Meh" it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.