• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

I really wouldn't mind seeing how the red Danite looks on the casual monk. I think it would look very cool against that chocolate or peanut color.

Everything I've read on the crepe sole indicates that it is nothing but a headache that only gets dirty and blackened and possibly disintegrates if it comes in contact with the wrong substances or chemicals. But you sound like you may have had more experience with the crepe than I have, would you say that it has been a pretty durable and easily maintained sole?..in your experience, is it true that it gets dirty and grungy exceedingly fast?

I have a couple of crepe soled shoes from other makers: a tramline boot in periwinkle buck from Danner and a short wing oxford in dark brown suede from Brooks Brothers (probably by Anderson Sheppard). I was skeptical of the crepe sole on each but figured I could live with it and replace it with something else when they're ready for new soles. The edges of the Brooks crepe came painted (almost necessitated by the style/color of the shoe) and that quickly wore off. My cobbler hooked me up with an old bottle of some dye that's since been banned in California (which is to say it works really well). Keeping the edges 'dressed' has been a chore and even then the sole limits the shoe's versatility. I will definitely be switching to leather soles. The Danner crepe seems denser or stronger but the color quickly went from a nice tan that complemented the shoe to the usual grungy grey. The boots are very casual so I don't mind it as much but I'll definitely be looking for alternatives at resole time.

As for the Newberg, I would have used white Gumlite soles with a colored layer under the welt like they did on the Baton Rouge and some Strandmocks. The crepe looks interesting while new but once it turns grungy grey I think it will be incongruous on a double monk.

barto78

Reaction score
1st post....I've been lurking for a few months once i got hooked with my 1st pair of AE shoes. I'm now the proud owner of 6 pair.

Anyone own the Sea Island Suede loafers and have an impression? They're now on my radar and am curious what you guys think of them?

Middlife

Reaction score

My first suede and my first chukka purchase. I am quite pleased with these Dundees, especially at $86.74 shipped from Ebay (and to think I almost bought Clarks desert boots). The uppers look great but I think it's time that I start looking at edge dressing for these and the rest of my shoes.

I am now at 4 pairs of Allen Edmonds in just 2 months...the addiction...I mean investment continues...

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I am getting a pair also...undecided on the color though - I think AE's pictures of the peanut are washed out compared to the maritime in the same leather. Agree may wait for a sale but I would like to dial the sizing in as my guess being unlined I will be going sockless with them.

Below is a picture of my Alden's...@Buster Brown made some good points...the key is it is casual sole not to be edge painted...nor dressing it up. This is an older picture of my Aldens and they look essentially the same today as they did then. When it comes time for a resole I will go with crepe on these again or RLH. Seems AE's choice is a brown one so I cant see that changing much color. I have seen some of those horrid yellow ones look terrible in pictures.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I have not ventured into white soles yet...My only issue with the color stripe(though not for a monk) is that I like to changes lace colors all the time and think it limits that. I have one pair of boat shoes with white and they are pretty nasty looking but in fairness they get worn a lot. I like that strandmock alot!

Dd1101

Reaction score
Rocking the new Leiden today. One of my few that I actually paid retail for...kinda.

eagleman

Reaction score

1st post....I've been lurking for a few months once i got hooked with my 1st pair of AE shoes.  I'm now the proud owner of 6 pair.

Anyone own the Sea Island Suede loafers and have an impression?  They're now on my radar and am curious what you guys think of them?

You won't get too much love on loafers here. I'm rocking with my Cody's today

mc2k

Reaction score
@NorseHorse

Strange that you and I happen to be wearing the same thing today, although mine aren't brand new
nod[1].gif

Last edited:

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You won't get too much love on loafers here. I'm rocking with my Cody's today

I'm looking to add nothing but loafers for my next few pairs. They have really been growing on me lately. And those Cody's look awesome

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traveling for work and things are a tad bit cooler than in Texas. Brown grain First Aves about as formal as I'm getting considering the circumstances.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went home for lunch today and there were my new brown burnished McGregors waiting for me. Trying to decide if I like them or not. I guess I'm just not sure if the 65 last is right for a LWB. Dunno, it just seems a lot more sleek than I was expecting. The vamp seems really elongated. It's definitely dressier than I was expecting a more casual shoe to be. I held it up next to my oxblood Strands and it might be a touch longer, nothing noteworthy, but it's definitely narrower at the toe. They fit about the same width-wise, but it wears like a longer shoe.

I own a vintage pair of American Gentleman burgundy LWBs and something about their proportions seems "right" to me for lack of a better term. It's squatter and a bit wider with a double sole and allowed me to drop down 1/2 size. Maybe it's because it's the only LWB I've ever owned and that's my expectation. Or, maybe it's the color issue and brown is just not the right color for this one. I dunno. I'm missing a brown "dress" shoe in my rotation and was hoping this would fit the bill (I definitely work on the casual side of "business casual").

In a nutshell, I'm just babbling. The McGregor is different than what I was expecting. Now, I just need to decide if that different feel is a good thing or a bad thing.

What are your thoughts on the McGregor? Love it? Hate it? "Meh" it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads