• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just listed my merlot Park Aves on ebay and noticed something interesting. There's no wear on both shoes in the very front of the soles. I wonder if this is a sign that the shoe is a little too long.
I have the same thing on at least two of mine. In fact, the unworn spots on mine are nearly perfect circles. We'll see what happens on the newer pairs.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oxblood looks more red. Is it shiny or flat? My Merlot PA are shiny and my Oxblood Warwicks flat finish.

To be truthful, I don't see much difference between the two. That's one reason I'm trying to sell the larger one. My oxblood PA's look closer to merlot than the oxblood Leeds and Carlyles I've seen. There's a lot of variation within all colors, as we learn. Oh, and my merlot PA's are bedbug-free.

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I read about your discounts on Cordovan at the Palo Alto store. Now the question is should I return the 2nd's Cordovan Daltons and get a 1st Quality? There is like $37 difference in the price between them but there is the 6 weeks wait. What would you do?
If it were me, I would pay the $37 extra- but then, my track record with seconds is abysmal.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am starting to see a Brown Grain Player 2.0 show up on the Shoe Bank. Very intriguing indeed. You know, because I need more wing tips.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got these bad boys today. I always had my eye on them, and I am glad I finally pulled the trigger before they ran out of them.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am starting to see a Brown Grain Player 2.0 show up on the Shoe Bank. Very intriguing indeed. You know, because I need more wing tips.

Looks like it's on the 108 last. Anyone own this and have pictures and/or fitting comments? Does it have a double sole and storm welt as I believe the original Player had?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like it's on the 108 last. Anyone own this and have pictures and/or fitting comments? Does it have a double sole and storm welt as I believe the original Player had?

Oy vey. A shortwing blucher on a narrow, sleek last? WTF are they doing. Country shoes should be on round, heavy country lasts.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oy vey. A shortwing blucher on a narrow, sleek last? WTF are they doing. Country shoes should be on round, heavy country lasts.

I think we have enough MacNeil variants out there. I wouldn't mind having a look anyway. Besides, they'd probably go great with the tweed suit I don't own.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do think it would've been fine after I settled into the footbed. My McTavishes were crazy tight when I got them, so much so I was shocked at how different they were compared to my Cambridge and Strand (both shell though). But they settled significantly enough for it to be a non-issue now. And they were the longest to break in with the double oak sole!!

I did notice with these too where they would eventually crease: across the shoe right below where the color changes. It worries me because every used black and burgundy Shelton looks awful there. Walnut seems to hold up better. Maybe the solution is to get a pair made up in shell.
happy.gif

LOL, yeah I thought we had reached the point of "don't buy any more shoes" but she's cool with it. I don't necessarily tell her when I'm buying something; the boxes just show up.
Next time! It's in a little shop right behind the ol' Buckhead Theatre. It's crazy how much that area has been redeveloped.

BTW, a couple stores down from where we were in the mall was an H Stockton. I saw an Alden placard in the window, I didn't dare go in.

If you're referring to the sharp or pinched creasing, a lot of the used AE saddles on eBay are made with corrected grain (or as AE calls it cobbler) leather. I've also seen it a lot on PAs.

DustinM

Reaction score

I bought them too!  I think the blue is very nice, It can be worn with shorts and a dark blue or light blue polo?

I like the blue, but my wife wasn't a fan of the color.

It comes down to utility. The blue would be great with khakis--except I don't really wear khakis. The gray works with jeans but so would a casual bulcher--and would be useable all year.

As far as shorts, I usually wear flip flops or boat shoes. Weekends are fairly casual.

So that's how I arrived at "I love these shoes but am returning them" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads