1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Maiden voyage in Liverpool. These are amazing [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. colco

colco Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Higgins Mills paired with a new demin purchase and some flannel on this sunny casual Friday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

OK so decided to take the new shoes to the office and wear them just on the carpet until I know if these are ok.

Like I said the fit of the shoe itself on my foot seems good I have plenty of room in the toe box, the fit front to back is good I would not want a longer shoe, the fit side to side is good this is a D and I think an E would be to wide on the bottom of the foot.

Now these being new shoes I did not make the laces tight I just comfortably tied them.

My concern with the fit or more the look not the fit is only how the gap gets much bigger from bottom to top.

So not sure how to proceed here since the shoe feels ok on my foot overall and I don't think I would want anything wider but what about this gap for the laces.

Is this acceptable?

Will it get closer with time?

Looking for some help here should I return or is this ok?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

There is a pair of these on the ShoeBank in one of my sizes (14E) for $157. I don't need another balmoral, but it *would* be nice to have another pair with Dainite soles. I already have a pair of chili Daltons, but they obviously fill an entirely different role.

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Friday forum pals! Today wraps up my personal "Longwing week" and, with fall in the air, I pulled out my suede MacNeils. I wish AE made a sufficient number of longwing styles to work for the entire week, but they don't and I have to pull in other makers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  7. M2511

M2511 Senior member

My opinion is that the V-gap is too much. If they fit you that well then perhaps size change isn't the option and the last or that particular shoe doesn't work for you? Also possible that it is why they are seconds.

8. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fullerton Friday. Alliteration: check. To continue, feeling fairly frumpy. Wish most of this outfit was a little smaller. Have a good Friday and weekend!

3 people like this.
  9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Casual Friday in dark denim and chili Shakers! Like many here, I am still holding out hope that AE brings these back (like Paul G said would happen on a previous AMA).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Hmm thanks not sure what to do as I wear them on the carpet fits seems good it's just that V gap that is out of place.

I have been checking the fit all around my foot seems ok a wider shoe would also be a wider fit overall and all I want is the V gap to be less.

Looking at the sole even on carpet I now see signs of the shoe being worn so I may be past returning them now even on carpet.

[​IMG]

11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Interesting. The 000 last is one I've never heard of.

Since you're going back into hibernation, I wore these for you today. Today is perfect weather for these.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Looking sharp!! These are natty, right? Yours have a much richer color than mine, which are rather pale still. Might need to hit mine with some neetsfoot. Deets on the denim?!

1 person likes this.
  13. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

HM maiden voyage. Just realized the quartets on the left boot are a bit uneven. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

WANT!

15. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

OK maybe things are looking better see what you guys think.

This morning first time wearing:
    [​IMG]

3 hours later not too much walking trying to keep them returnable if needed but re-tied both shoes just a little snug.

[​IMG]

So I think the gap has improved but still it's more than I would like to see.

The question is will the gap close even more with more wear as I think if I continue to wear them even on the carpet I won't be able to return them.

As for the overall comfort the feel is great again just the look of the gap.

Thoughts guys?

16. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Looking better after retying them. As stated by others, you will sink into them and the leather will give a bit. As long as they're not tied uncomfortably tight and you like the fit everywhere else, I say keep.

17. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

If you don't have severe pressure at the instep, then I think you're okay. My Carlyles in bourbon looked similar when I first got them. Over time, the V closed about 1/4 inch. They will close a little, but it's hard to know how much they will close. They don't look bad in my opinion, but they are at about the limit of where I would want the V to start at.
    There's no wrong answer here, but if those were mine, I would probably explore other size options.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Looking better. Unfortunately you wont know how much more give you will get until wearing them beyond return state. You seem to love them so why not stick it out. I could be wrong but your socks look quite thick and might be a contributing factor.

1 person likes this.
  19. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    For my personal taste the V gap is too large when you initially tried them. The second picture is certainly improved and I could keep or return them depending on how much I like the shoes, the other fit characteristics, how good of a deal I got on the price and if I have anything else in the collection that may replace them. I think the change in the gap after three hours is more of a reflection of the effect of squeezing fluid out of the foot than actual stretching of the leather or compression of the insole. I have the same fit issues and I personally just elected to purge this type of fit from my collection. But that is really a personal decision. The width of the gap can even vary in a blucher and exceed what I personally think looks good on my foot. The suede longwing I have on today closes like this.

[​IMG]

The Boone I picked up looked excessively wide to my eyes and back it went. Much of this is a personal decision on what you believe looks good on you.

[​IMG]

20. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can any of you AE guys tell me what model and last these might be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.