• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingus2112

Reaction score

I honestly think that the left boot is probably at worst case scenario already and shouldn't crease much more.  I got them to drop 20% off a pair of Vernons that had some abnormal creasing and a dent in the side of the shoe.  It's worth a shot!

I shot an email to the guy I normally deal with. Hopefully he'll be able to do something for me. I was very honest with him and wasn't looking for a handout. I'll certainly apply whatever deal he can make me towards another pair of shoes. If I can get them reduced to even $75, i'd keep them for foul weather. Maybe they'll age well. If he can't do anything, i'll just exchange them for another pair anyway. I was in the outlet store near me trying on some Maritimes (man - i just couldn't find a pair that fit me!) and showed the guy there the pictures. He was even shocked at the one shoe.

On another note - were any of you guys the seller of the shell Leeds I bought on ebay today? Got a really decent deal as the one shoe has some more severe than usual ripple in the creasing. I think they'll be really nice.

-J

HoldenMI

Reaction score
Does ordering tongue pads for your shoes equate to admitting defeat? I am plagued by either instep pain or movement of the foot inside my shoe. Laces too loose, foot moves more than I like; too tight, instep pain. If I change size down, i just start squeezing my toes together. My eyes love these shoes way more than my feet do! It will be difficult (but NOT impossible) to rationalize any further purchases until I have a solution to this. I do plan on going to the closest outlet soon to see if I can find a shoe size / last / style combination that both looks great and feels great. Hope one exists for me.
I've given in to tongue pads. My 10.5 B shoes feet great length-wise, but the instep on the 511 and 97 feels slightly loose. (The 65 with its low instep is perfect the way it is.) The 97 and 511 are good with tongue pads. The newer lasts with the higher insteps are hopeless for my skinny feet.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fans of A-E shoes in the wild and/or A-E Voyagers, showing how I roll wearing once blue now faded to grey Allen-Edmonds Voyagers.....

HoldenMI

Reaction score
For fans of A-E shoes in the wild and/or A-E Voyagers, showing how I roll wearing once blue now faded to grey Allen-Edmonds Voyagers.....

I've wondered why you were so natty. Now I know.

mingus2112

Reaction score

Does ordering tongue pads for your shoes equate to admitting defeat? I am plagued by either instep pain or movement of the foot inside my shoe. Laces too loose, foot moves more than I like; too tight, instep pain. If I change size down, i just start squeezing my toes together. My eyes love these shoes way more than my feet do! It will be difficult (but NOT impossible) to rationalize any further purchases until I have a solution to this. I do plan on going to the closest outlet soon to see if I can find a shoe size / last / style combination that both looks great and feels great. Hope one exists for me.

It's not a defeat. I've used them to get rid of heel slip on otherwise perfect fitting shoes. I've got narrow heels, so it's tough to get the perfect fit!

Middlife

Reaction score
Ouch.

I guess you really don't like the big split toe. But you don't mind the Clark Street?

ORD is one of those shoes I don't know how they continue to make as I don't know anyone who buys them (except for smfdoc).
Ya, I mean I've contemplated the Clark Street, Delray and the Bradley, they are pretty sleek. But the big split toes just don't do it for me.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Clark Street, and the design has grown on me. I wasn't a huge fan of the Delray, until I saw someone wearing them. They looked great in person! Now I've got a pair of my own.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now the hard decision is here what should I keep and what should I return, here's the list:

1) 2nds Cordovan Cambridge
2) 2nds Hopkinson Merlot
3) Park Avenue Merlot
4) Randolph Merlot
5) Bainbridge Navy
6) Strandmok Navy
7) Dark Chili Cornwallis
8) Walnut Strand
9) Bourbon Mora

I'll admit I went a bit overboard but I had to see them in person as I don't have an AE store close.

So there it is, what do you think? What would you keep? If you could keep 2-3 and return the rest?

When you love Allen Edmonds like we do you want to keep them all but I refuse to be a slave to a credit card. LOL.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now the hard decision is here what should I keep and what should I return, here's the list:

1) 2nds Cordovan Cambridge
2) 2nds Hopkinson Merlot
3) Park Avenue Merlot
4) Randolph Merlot
5) Bainbridge Navy
6) Strandmok Navy
7) Dark Chili Cornwallis
8) Walnut Strand
9) Bourbon Mora

I'll admit I went a bit overboard but I had to see them in person as I don't have an AE store close.

So there it is, what do you think? What would you keep? If you could keep 2-3 and return the rest?

When you love Allen Edmonds like we do you want to keep them all but I refuse to be a slave to a credit card. LOL.

Easier for me to pare down first then decide from the remaining.

Nix the following:

Bourbon Mora: Not impressed with Bourbon on the less ornately brogued styles vs. the McAllister and Strand.
Navy Bainbridge: The Navy Strandmok looks better.
Merlot Hopkinson 2nd: I'm off the newer Independence Line after the "upgrade" piping. Plus I like the triple stitching on the Park Ave better.
Cordovan Cambridge 2nd: If I recall, you weren't happy with the quality, I'd wait for a better deal (this is dependent on if they reduced the price to the sale level or not).
Merlot Randolph: Its fine, but I prefer some other AE loafer offerings before them.

That leaves the Strand, PA, Cornwallis, and Strandmok.

Wardrobe depending, I'd keep:

Walnut Strand: Sort of a de facto must own, but I'd take the Merlot or Chili Strand over it if they were on the list
Dark Chili Cornwallis: Its the most modernly styled (IMO) of the 4 (remaining).
Navy Strandmok: Keep one casual from the group.

That leaves out the Merlot PA. Very tough to leave out, but I'd personally rather own a Black PA for more formal occasions so I'd leave the Merlot for down the road anyway, unless you already own something for those occasions.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1)  2nds Cordovan Cambridge
2)  2nds Hopkinson Merlot
3)  Park Avenue Merlot
4)  Randolph Merlot
5)  Bainbridge Navy
6)  Strandmok Navy
7)  Dark Chili Cornwallis
8)  Walnut Strand
9)  Bourbon Mora

So there it is, what do you think?  What would you keep?  If you could keep 2-3 and return the rest? 

I'll assume the condition and fit are all fine. I'll also assume you got the Hopkinson at the 40% off recent sale price ($299).

You are WAY heavy on burg/merlot.

If SB has your size in a black Hopkinson, do a swap out. Keep the burg shell Cambridge.

Done.

Return the rest.

If you want to keep a third, factor whether any of those would be hard to get at the same price, or at all, in the future. EG, if you got the bourbon at the close out price, keep it over something that you could get later. Note: the walnut strand (to me a shelf queen) is featured in the Nordstrum Anniversary sale every year.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not an answer to your question, but I always think Mora looks like a Latin plural, and we should be referring to the shoe as the Morum.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yeah, was trying to narrow it down to three. I need to get back in that barn and dirty myself up after that. My inner weasel doesn't feel right.

bkdc

Reaction score
The poor fit in high instep shoes are may feel like a defeat for some, but it is a victory for guys like me who have insanely high insteps and cannot fit properly in any Allen Edmonds balmoral style shoe. Only bluchers for this pair of dogs. :( I will have to try again with some of the newer lasts.

Last edited:

robster35

Reaction score
hey guys. sold off my only pair of black dress shoes- johnston and murphys, in order to get something a bit nicer in allen edmonds. been eyeing the Cornwallis and the more i look at it the more i want a pair. should i grab these in black?? or go for something like a PA in black and get Cornwallis in brown? the black wont get worn quite so often but had to upgrade as the johnston and murphys were a bit too large for me anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads