1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Blasphemy!!!

Unless you're an 8E. Then, let me help you with your burden my friend.

1 person likes this.
  3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

The Natty Humboldt with Natty HMs is a no brainer, but my brown HMs are much "browner" than the Golden Brown Humboldt.

4. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Yup, good point. I should have been more specific about the natty.

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

;)

11.5D

If I didn't have the "mistake cognacs" I wouldn't think of it
    [​IMG]

6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

You could have a cobbler stitch one side of the tongue to the inside of the boot. You can do this if there is stitching on the outside that they can run a few stitches through so its concealed. Some shoes come that way from the maker. I guess the tongue also has to be wide enough, which I'm not sure is true for the Higgins Mill.

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Well, just like that, both of those bourbon Strands were bought. As far as I know, they are now officially extinct in my size. Not a huge deal, but I was thinking about them. I blame @orange fury for this.

BTW, does anyone know if AE is still planning on creating another shade of lighter brown? I read somewhere that they were planning on this, but I am wondering if this was abandoned to focus on just their 5 main colors.

Also, who the hell are these people putting AE shoes on Ebay for $500? It makes no sense to me.

8. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I suspect they're drop shippers. They just wait for the ignorant, then place an order through AE and ship directly to the buyer. Lots of people do it for small items that people don't know where to buy them. Youtube is littered with "Make money drop shipping" videos.

9. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Thinking of putting my dark chili Strands on ebay. My office has changed to casual attire most days and as much as I love the shoe the fit is just not great for me (despite being the same size as other 5-lasted shoes in my collection, part of the upper on the Strand irritates my left ankle). 1sts, worn about 10x, would come with box and bags. What's a good price to start the auction?

10. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

I'm too lazy to quote you all, but thanks for your opinions regarding my purchasing question. I love the idea of picking up a PTB since it is rather unlike the rest of my very wingtip-heavy rotation. Plus, mmmmm, suede.

Not that I could necessarily bring myself to spend the scratch, but my ideal Leeds would probably be in brown shell. The burgundy is a great color, but I just think I'd get a lot more use out of a brown pair.

My thinking is for pure sex appeal, the CM Suede Leeds win. They also could win for fit since my initial impression of the 511 last is pretty favorable. The shape of the toe box seems more suited to my foot. Also, if the seconds are actually in pretty decent shape, which I am told they are, then paying $199 represents a better "bargain" based on their retail price, but that's probably the least of my concerns.

The Acorn Hilfire Neumok probably wins for versatility based on the clothes I already own. I feel like with the CM Leeds I'll end up supplementing my supply of pants to increase the number of outfits that I can put together to go with the shoes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a real possibility and something that might conflict with future shoe purchases. The Neumoks will be able to go to work right away.

As @SLCRich said, the answer is probably both. And it seems like, from comments here, the Neumok in Acorn Hilfire might be around for a while yet. Perhaps that's an October or November acquisition.

The worst part is, I can already think of about five more shoes I want: Dundee brown grain for days I don't want to wear a leather sole, Mora 2.0 or Norwich for a monk strap, Oxblood PA and Walnut McAllister because just plain sexy... and on and on. Thanks a bunch, FBWs... now I need therapy.

11. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Those look real nice with the red laces. Probably better than the tan ones...

12. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Walnut McAllister for $150 off is on the top of my list unless I do something between now and then to deplete my slush fund. Even though I have absolutely no need for another wingtip. Just want more walnut and think it looks best in a half or full brogue.

1 person likes this.
  13. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

At the end of the day, it's probably good that I have a wife, kids, and dogs to soak up all of my income. Otherwise, I'd be on one of those hoarder shows, but instead of a house of squalor, it would be stuffed to the rafters with clothes and shoes.

2 people like this.
  14. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Yes, I absolutely would. Somehow I once found myself watching a video of an NBA player going through his walk-in closet full of basketball shoes. I would have something similar to that but just dress shoes, boots, chukkas and a dozen or so pairs of PUMA and Adidas... still love a good retro looking fashion sneaker. Then another room dedicated to fly fishing paraphernalia, one full of photography equipment and computers, one full of books and yet another full of musical instruments that I couldn't play. Too many fascinating things out there to just ignore.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  16. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

So..... if not for your family you'd be on an episode of hoarders. Except newspapers and egg cartons, it would be all high end stuff.

I feel you on that, brother.

Edit: Oops you said the same thing. Insomnia slowing me down.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  17. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I was about to respond but ace beat me to it as usual - please don't unload the tan - I normally won't get more than one of a style unless it's something I think is just so above and beyond. I own three of the McTavish - only style where I have 3. And the only reason I never got tan is because by the time I went looking, everything I came across was beat to shit or badly mismatched colors, etc. My cognac looks like your "mistake" thing too, but if if I had found a good looking tan pair I totally would have picked that up too. Don't get me wrong, the Neumok 1.0 is pretty awesome, but it ain't no McTavish.

18. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

19. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

You didn't ask me, but all I know is that Decker and Forte did fan-friggin-tasting for my fantasy team last night lol.

Go Texans!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

So my walnut Daltons arrived the other day from the bank and they look GREAT. A little bit of striping on the side of one of the caps, but its not real noticeable and everything else looks perfect. The color seems to be a bit more on the orange side of walnut, but I'm ok with it.

Question: anyone have some good lace suggestions for this boot? The default brown laces it comes with are ok, but they dont really do much for it. Maybe thats the point though. Maybe a round black lace with a little more thickness? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.