• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmusic1

Reaction score
I was just looking at my profile pic. I need a new family photo.
I think I'm going to buy 5A's in Walnut Dainite. I already have Walnut strands and daltons, but only bourbon Mcallister in Dainite. I have brown 5A's that I'm getting recrafted and just bought Chili Carlyles. otherwise that would have been my choice, so I think a walnut shoe w the Dainite sole would be good to have with the wet Louisiana weather/climate.

Initially I couldn't picture a walnut shoe with a black dainite sole. I haven't seen them in person, but the pics look very nice.

gjdgjdgjd

Reaction score

Found a present on my doorstep today. I am really digging the brown grain leather.

Captm2016

Reaction score

They are different enough that you and maybe % 15 of people who you meet will be able to tell the difference, but why not get a different style? I mean, if only for variety's sake...

The reason I was thinking of getting the 5A was the $150 off deal (I also really like the 5A, but would not have been thinking of making this purchase without the deal). So I guess, given that I currently have dark chili 5A's and black PAs and bourbon PAs, what would be best if i could only get one to round out the collection? Walnut or brown 5A's at $240 or merlot macallisters at $290?

redmusic1

Reaction score
The reason I was thinking of getting the 5A was the $150 off deal (I also really like the 5A, but would not have been thinking of making this purchase without the deal). So I guess, given that I currently have dark chili 5A's and black PAs and bourbon PAs, what would be best if i could only get one to round out the collection? Walnut or brown 5A's at $240 or merlot macallisters at $290?

Merlot McAllisters would be best choice if you wear suits a lot. I would get a lot of use out of the walnut FA, but it depends on your wardrobe.

Captm2016

Reaction score

Merlot McAllisters would be best choice if you wear suits a lot. I would get a lot of use out of the walnut FA, but it depends on your wardrobe.

This would be almost exclusively for suits, so I guess I wouldn't get much use out of the walnut FA. I'm thinking it might be better just fork over the extra 50 for the macallisters since the 5A in brown wouldn't be a huge difference from the dark chili 5A's I already have.

redmusic1

Reaction score
This would be almost exclusively for suits, so I guess I wouldn't get much use out of the walnut FA. I'm thinking it might be better just fork over the extra 50 for the macallisters since the 5A in brown wouldn't be a huge difference from the dark chili 5A's I already have.

If the 50 is the main reason you are considering the FA, forget about it. I've been wanting a merlot McAllister for over two years and haven't bit the bullet yet myself. Don't be like me. If you have the dollars, get em. I want them in the v-tread and hope to get them the next time they go on sale. Problem is, I keep buying other things in between, so when they go on sale I don't have then funds.

JLC2

Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I picked up my first pair of AE's today, thanks to the anniversary sale. I'm a Canadian at a conference in a city with an AE store and had to take the plunge on some merlot McAllisters.
The "tip" of the right shoe's wing kind of sticks up and looks maybe a little frayed. Is this anything to concern myself with? Should I glue it down? Or is this typical for a handmade shoe. I'm still in town for a few days if this is something worthy of a return.

Thanks!

A pic of both with their trees

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score

Who said walnut FAs don't make any sense? I'd be wearing them all summer long with my walnut PAs. What else would one wear with tan gabs, dress linens, and seersucker? And the rest of the year: With a tan suit perhaps? Definitely with a tan trouser and blazer combo, or with navy trousers and odd jacket (much better choice than a strand for this combo unless the jacket is obviously on the casual side of things). I'm still bumfuzzled by those who think a tan cap toe shoe is superfluous. Embrace the walnut FA. Nothing wrong with loving a tan punch cap as long as you aren't trying to make them work with a dark suit every day. 

Well, the way I read it when it was discussed before was that a light/tan shoe is technically a more casual color on the color spectrum, and thus was a bit of an oxymoron and didn't quite conform to style doctrine when paired with the more dressy balmoral, single sole, punch cap style. However, like I said, I received several compliments on mine, and I think they look great with khakis or even dark jeans...but either way, as long as they work well for you I'd say keep wearing them. I have for about 4 years now, and I haven't been arrested yet for it.

Last edited:

eagleman

Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]Hi fellas,[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]I picked up my first pair of AE's today, thanks to the anniversary sale. I'm a Canadian at a conference in a city with an AE store and had to take the plunge on some merlot McAllisters.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]The "tip" of the right shoe's wing kind of sticks up and looks maybe a little frayed. Is this anything to concern myself with? Should I glue it down? Or is this typical for a handmade shoe. I'm still in town for a few days if this is something worthy of a return.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Thanks![/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]. [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]A pic of both with their trees[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
Those are beautiful shoes. I wouldn't be worried about it. Wear them and enjoy.

whodey14

Reaction score

redmusic1

Reaction score
Well, the way I read it when it was discussed before was that a light/tan shoe is technically a more casual color on the color spectrum, and thus didn't quite conform to style doctrine when paired with the more dressy balmoral, single sole, punch cap style. However, like I said, I received several compliments on mine, and I think they look great with khakis or even dark jeans...but either way, as long as they work well for you I'd say keep wearing them. I have for about 4 years now, and I haven't been arrested yet for it.

I haven't seen a specific discussion on this subject in a very long time, so I'm not sure to what discussion you are specifically referring. Perhaps it took place while I was away for a few weeks recently. If so, I didn't get to put in my four cents worth.

Of coarse tan is a more casual color on the spectrum. And black is the most formal. So? Color is one element that makes a shoe more or less formal, along with the other elements you mentioned. All shoes lie along a spectrum based on how different elements fit together. This particular context of elements that make up a shoe must then be put into a newer and larger context of an entire outfit (this includes the shirt and tie, not just suit vs. odd vs. jeans which is typically the only thing mentioned in the arguments on here). And it isn't just about doing whatever one feels like. Making sure attire and shoes work together is important. While I may not suggest to someone new to color and style to get anything other than the staple shoes in the colors they are best known for, that is just beginners advice. It isn't part of any rule. The rules are simply that the lighter color makes them less formal than the same thing in a darker color, the punch cap makes them more formal than a semi-brogue in the same color, and the single oak sole is more formal than a split reverse welt with contrast stitching. One must decide where his attire lies along a spectrum of formality and choose a shoe that works.

I am aware there are a handful of people on here who consistently say they don't understand why AE makes a cap toe in walnut. I am also aware that there are some who want the rules for what shoes to wear with what attire to be completely objective. I beg you, resist the temptation. On the other hand, don't make the mistake of thinking that all of this is relative, and involves merely subjective application without any reason for a spectrum of formality.

harlequin782

Reaction score

I haven't seen a specific discussion on this subject in a very long time, so I'm not sure to what discussion you are specifically referring. Perhaps it took place while I was away for a few weeks recently. If so, I didn't get to put in my four cents worth. 

Of coarse tan is a more casual color on the spectrum. And black is the most formal. So? Color is one element that makes a shoe more or less formal, along with the other elements you mentioned. All shoes lie along a spectrum based on how different elements fit together. This particular context of elements that make up a shoe must then be put into a newer and larger context of an entire outfit (this includes the shirt and tie, not just suit vs. odd vs. jeans which is typically the only thing mentioned in the arguments on here). And it isn't just about doing whatever one feels like. Making sure attire and shoes work together is important. While I may not suggest to someone new to color and style to get anything other than the staple shoes in the colors they are best known for, that is just beginners advice. It isn't part of any rule. The rules are simply that the lighter color makes them less formal than the same thing in a darker color, the punch cap makes them more formal than a semi-brogue in the same color, and the single oak sole is more formal than a split reverse welt with contrast stitching. One must decide where his attire lies along a spectrum of formality and choose a shoe that works. 

I am aware there are a handful of people on here who consistently say they don't understand why AE makes a cap toe in walnut. I am also aware that there are some who want the rules for what shoes to wear with what attire to be completely objective. I beg you, resist the temptation. On the other hand, don't make the mistake of thinking that all of this is relative, and involves merely subjective application without any reason for a spectrum of formality. 

Yeah...I was just giving the gentleman who asked about them some context for why the style technically didn't make sense according to some. But it was a discussion that took place a while ago I believe in the old thread before it was closed...like I said though,far be it for me to try to tell others how to wear their AE so as long as it works for each individual, then I definitely say to wear it in good health however you see fit ...I do. I know I break style etiquette all the time but I'm ok with it.

Last edited:

Oinkedmoo

Reaction score
I've been wearing my bourbon Lexingtons about twice a week for the past month. Last night I polished them with some Nordstrom dark brown shoe cream mixed with a little AE black cream and brushed with my black brush. They darkened a bit and are developing a nice patina!

Today's pic

Back from Feb 19

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my bourbon Lexingtons about twice a week for the past month. Last night I polished them with some Nordstrom dark brown shoe cream mixed with a little AE black cream and brushed with my black brush. They darkened a bit and are developing a nice patina!

Today's pic

Back from Feb 19
Love the color on the cap.

Do those shoes fit correctly, though? Seems that crease on the vamp by the lacing signifies excess volume.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I picked up my first pair of AE's today, thanks to the anniversary sale. I'm a Canadian at a conference in a city with an AE store and had to take the plunge on some merlot McAllisters.
The "tip" of the right shoe's wing kind of sticks up and looks maybe a little frayed. Is this anything to concern myself with? Should I glue it down? Or is this typical for a handmade shoe. I'm still in town for a few days if this is something worthy of a return.

Thanks!

A pic of both with their trees

Definitely do not worry about that, the pinking isn't glued down anywhere on the shoe as far as I know. You could maybe trim it with some sharp scissors if you are extremely careful, but I would just let it ride and enjoy. Those shoes look amazing and I think you picked an outstanding style for a "first AE".

Now just good luck keeping yourself from buy many more in the next few months, because after just a few wears you will be hooked.

Cheers and welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics