Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Definitely do not worry about that, the pinking isn't glued down anywhere on the shoe as far as I know. You could maybe trim it with some sharp scissors if you are extremely careful, but I would just let it ride and enjoy. Those shoes look amazing and I think you picked an outstanding style for a "first AE".

Now just good luck keeping yourself from buy many more in the next few months, because after just a few wears you will be hooked.

Cheers and welcome!

2. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

They are a little big on me... I nailed my size on the 65 last balmorals, but the derby has a little more space in the forefoot. Maybe going down half a size or using a tounge pad may have helped, but they're so comfortable that the creasing doesn't bother me much.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

(Thomas) Jefferson Thursday:
    [​IMG]

5. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Continuing the week of blood, what's been touted as the sexiest plain toe shoe (possibly sexiest shoe in general), the Warwick in oxblood.
    [​IMG]

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

All of this dark chili talk, so here are my PAs. If I had it to do over again, I probably would've gotten the FA in this color, but I suppose these will do!

7. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

[​IMG]

Oxblood Strands today. I went back and forth between these and Merlot McAllisters for a while, but I think I made the right choice. Turns out, I'd get a lot more use out of a burgundy shoe than I thought I would. Now to decide if I can justify adding a Chili Fifth Avenue...

8. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Chilli Bleecker st today..

[​IMG]

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Great looking boot! And in the best color for this style. Bob's Chili Bleeckers are my most versatile/workhorse shoe I've ever owned. With all the 5th Ave (and versatility) talk lately, I still say I'd rather have a Bleecker or other variant over multiple 5As.

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

As do many other makers:
    And many more in slightly redder tones. It doesn't bother me overmuch, it just becomes a less versatile shoe for my wardrobe.

11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

1. Yes
    2. They're only $245!
    3. In fact, if you buy two pairs it's essentially like getting the second pair for $95!

12. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

Shoes trees and naked. I only use the shoe bags when travelling.

13. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Still giving the 5A purchase some thought. I recently purchased Chili Carlyle's and already own Walnut Strand, Walnut Dalton and Burnish Brown 5A's which should be back in a week from being re-crafted. The question is do i get another pair of Chili shoes and get the Dainite sole or do i go the Walnut route again and get the Dainite sole on those?

I'm thinking it may be smarter to go with the Chili's in Dainite as they're a little bit more versatile than Walnut.

Decisions...Decisions....

14. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

[COLOR=222222]Hi fellas,[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=222222]I picked up my first pair of AE's today, thanks to the anniversary sale. I'm a Canadian at a conference in a city with an AE store and had to take the plunge on some merlot McAllisters.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=222222]The "tip" of the right shoe's wing kind of sticks up and looks maybe a little frayed. Is this anything to concern myself with? Should I glue it down? Or is this typical for a handmade shoe. I'm still in town for a few days if this is something worthy of a return.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Thanks![/COLOR]

--------------------------------

I have no advice on the gluing but you've selected an absolutely beautiful shoe....especially as your first AE!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

15. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

If you wear suits a lot and insist on only wearing balmoral caps, then 5A would be ok. But if that's the case, it might be worth looking into a merlot/oxblood PA to give you some flexibility in colors. However, if you are open to wingtip and perfed captoes, I would highly suggest McAlister or Strand. The McA in Merlot is a much more flexible shoe. And you can always get the brown Strand at a later date, which looks great in that color. Sales come a go and $50 more/less here and there doesn't justifying loading on styles and colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.