Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Definitely do not worry about that, the pinking isn't glued down anywhere on the shoe as far as I know. You could maybe trim it with some sharp scissors if you are extremely careful, but I would just let it ride and enjoy. Those shoes look amazing and I think you picked an outstanding style for a "first AE".

Now just good luck keeping yourself from buy many more in the next few months, because after just a few wears you will be hooked.

Cheers and welcome!

2. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

They are a little big on me... I nailed my size on the 65 last balmorals, but the derby has a little more space in the forefoot. Maybe going down half a size or using a tounge pad may have helped, but they're so comfortable that the creasing doesn't bother me much.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

(Thomas) Jefferson Thursday:
    [​IMG]

5. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Continuing the week of blood, what's been touted as the sexiest plain toe shoe (possibly sexiest shoe in general), the Warwick in oxblood.
    [​IMG]

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

All of this dark chili talk, so here are my PAs. If I had it to do over again, I probably would've gotten the FA in this color, but I suppose these will do!

7. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

[​IMG]

Oxblood Strands today. I went back and forth between these and Merlot McAllisters for a while, but I think I made the right choice. Turns out, I'd get a lot more use out of a burgundy shoe than I thought I would. Now to decide if I can justify adding a Chili Fifth Avenue...

8. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Chilli Bleecker st today..

[​IMG]

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Great looking boot! And in the best color for this style. Bob's Chili Bleeckers are my most versatile/workhorse shoe I've ever owned. With all the 5th Ave (and versatility) talk lately, I still say I'd rather have a Bleecker or other variant over multiple 5As.

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

As do many other makers:
    And many more in slightly redder tones. It doesn't bother me overmuch, it just becomes a less versatile shoe for my wardrobe.

11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

1. Yes
    2. They're only $245!
    3. In fact, if you buy two pairs it's essentially like getting the second pair for $95!

12. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

Shoes trees and naked. I only use the shoe bags when travelling.

13. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Still giving the 5A purchase some thought. I recently purchased Chili Carlyle's and already own Walnut Strand, Walnut Dalton and Burnish Brown 5A's which should be back in a week from being re-crafted. The question is do i get another pair of Chili shoes and get the Dainite sole or do i go the Walnut route again and get the Dainite sole on those?

I'm thinking it may be smarter to go with the Chili's in Dainite as they're a little bit more versatile than Walnut.

Decisions...Decisions....

14. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

[COLOR=222222]Hi fellas,[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=222222]I picked up my first pair of AE's today, thanks to the anniversary sale. I'm a Canadian at a conference in a city with an AE store and had to take the plunge on some merlot McAllisters.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=222222]The "tip" of the right shoe's wing kind of sticks up and looks maybe a little frayed. Is this anything to concern myself with? Should I glue it down? Or is this typical for a handmade shoe. I'm still in town for a few days if this is something worthy of a return.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Thanks![/COLOR]

--------------------------------

I have no advice on the gluing but you've selected an absolutely beautiful shoe....especially as your first AE!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

15. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

If you wear suits a lot and insist on only wearing balmoral caps, then 5A would be ok. But if that's the case, it might be worth looking into a merlot/oxblood PA to give you some flexibility in colors. However, if you are open to wingtip and perfed captoes, I would highly suggest McAlister or Strand. The McA in Merlot is a much more flexible shoe. And you can always get the brown Strand at a later date, which looks great in that color. Sales come a go and $50 more/less here and there doesn't justifying loading on styles and colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.