• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

NorseHorse

Reaction score

My first pair of AEs, the Hamptons. Still love the wing-cap, although it gets no love on this forum. Also my wife's favorite of my shoes.

I agree, these look great.

tharkun

Reaction score

Alright, so I dont really like to ask these sort of questions but I heard back (finally) from the recraft department about my shell loafers that were in.  They messed up my order and didnt do the sole change (which cost an extra $10)  So now I just have a leather sole.  They told me that I could send them back and they would apply a rubber half sole to my order.

I really wanted the vtread because I have them on a few shoes and much prefer it to leather or dainite.  I have had shoes with vibram half soles and hated them.  I also rather dislike leather soles because the floors can get too slippery where I work.

Advice?  I dont know quite what to tell them.  The fact that this was just plain missed and now they want to shortcut it makes me a little upset.  Thanks guys!

Just curious. What exactly did you not like about the rubber half soles? I'm pretty happy with my Topy. I can't imagine Vibrams would be worse?!

Isn't the vtread basically like a rubber half sole, just "built-in"?

Uncle

Reaction score
I couldn't locate the post, but didn't someone post the AE Spring Sale offerings and prices a couple weeks back? Looking to get a pair of Chili Carlyle's and i could have sworn someone posted they were going to be $100 off.

Also, anyone who has recently ordered Shell Cordovan Strands, how long did it take for them to be made? I placed my order about 2 weeks ago and am obviously hopeful they arrive in less than the 6-8 week quoted time frame.

Yes..post # 1964....25% off on the Carlyles.

Also, my #8 Shell Park Ave's were originally quoted at 7-8 weeks, came in at 4 1/2, with a double JR sole MTO.

They came out great! ( as did my refinishings on a 30 yr old pair of Black Strands and Brown Fifths.). Quite pleased.

Once I eventually figure out how to post a picture with this outdated android, I will take the obligatory photo(s) with timepiece!

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Beautiful shoes! A great choice, as shell chukka is classic and AE's Dundee pattern is an outstanding one. I have 2 myself.
smile.gif

Congrats, my friend!
Thanks for the kind words. It was actually some of your earlier posts that helped steer me in the direction of this shoe.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just curious. What exactly did you not like about the rubber half soles? I'm pretty happy with my Topy. I can't imagine Vibrams would be worse?!

IMO V-tread is grippier (and softer) than a Topy. I feel like the v-tread will wear faster as a result of that though.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why does the wing cap get no love? Those look great to me.

I've never seen one. I like it.

I meant more that they're not commonly seen, than that they are actively disliked. Not surprising, since they were discontinued a couple years ago and the closest model since is a golf shoe (and the MTO that would have brought it to prominence was rejected).

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a very confrontational person so I understand this frustration but I think your best answer is just to tell them exactly what you said here. As an outsider to this situation this seems like a perfectly reasonable complaint and their first solution is not good enough, particularly considering you are working with an expensive pair of shell loafers here. If it's over email I'd send them almost your second and third paragraphs verbatim. Considering AE's customer service is mostly excellent, I suspect they'll find a better solution for you.

I'm planning on sending in an older pair for recrafting soon and having a dainite sole added so I'm certainly concerned that they missed your sole change request.

I think your two choices are (i) have them re-do it the way you had told them to, at no charge to you, or (ii) grin and bear it, but with your request/the suggestion that because you don't like, and didn't want, the leather sole, and hate the suggested half-sole, you ought to get some portion of the work you paid for refunded.  E.g., go half's with them (50% refund).  

The problem with option #1 is that even a welted shoe doesn't have an infinite number of re-soling's in it. 

If it's any solace to you, a classic shell loafer with a nice leather sole really looks nice.  So even if you slip, people will still note your nice looking shoes as they offer you assitance.

Thanks all for the responses.

Well I am hoping that the topy or rubber half sole would be flush installed. I guess I would be ok with this. If they cannot flush mount I am seeing what they would think about redoing the sole. Otherwise I would expect a deep discount on this. It bothers me that there was no mention of a discount yet. I'll sleep on it tonight and email in the am.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big day for me today: maiden voyage for brown shell dundees - these are my first AEs and my first shells. This was a big decision, but I feel good about my choice. I'm really looking forward to seeing how these develop over time. In the meantime I need to work on improving my shoe photography.

Looking good, congrats

Canadianguy

Reaction score

I couldn't locate the post, but didn't someone post the AE Spring Sale offerings and prices a couple weeks back?  Looking to get a pair of Chili Carlyle's and i could have sworn someone posted they were going to be $100 off.

Also, anyone who has recently ordered Shell Cordovan Strands, how long did it take for them to be made?  I placed my order about 2 weeks ago and am obviously hopeful they arrive in less than the 6-8 week quoted time frame. 

Not strands but the shell Dundees I just got came in after three weeks (was told to expect 8). Maybe this will give you hope.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words. It was actually some of your earlier posts that helped steer me in the direction of this shoe. 

:cheers:

My turn to volunteer for "door duty" at my son's Catholic school. Thought I'd "shake things up" a bit with my favorite AE's (hands down).

Last edited:

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing my oldest AE's. Burgundy McAllisters that were a Christmas gift from my wife in 1990. They have been recrafted once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads