1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

The grain version of my First Aves arrived slightly softer than the calf version. As I always do with boots, a few coats of Bick 4 inside and out, and they seemed to loosen up nicely.

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Sounds like I need to start asking around. Too bad my favorite manager (Earl) is no longer around.

I've had my eye on the Normandy for some time, especially after the feedback of a few members here. Just really want a heavier rubber sole of them. Was told they would be a full size run starting in the fall/winter, but I hate waiting. As far as the Fifth Street boot, I may just scoop a 2nd on sale and have an overlay put on.

3. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

These always have (properly sized) shoe trees in them when not being worn, I trust?

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Many thanks all - in addition to being enabling barn weasels, you are scholars and gentlemen!

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

After splurging recently on 3 new pairs of non-AE shoes, I reallllllly need a moratorium on spending for.....a while.

Maybe I should re-examine my current inventory and see what needs to be sold off to make room.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That's what I've been doing.

So...what did you buy? :smarmy:

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

In comparing the three loafers I mentioned the other day, I noticed that the Cavanaugh is made on a hand-sewn last, while the Randolph and Lake Forest are both welted. I understand this is a different construction method, though both are recraftable. Can anyone describe some of the practical differences between these types of construction, especially regarding comfort, wear, life-span, etc. Thanks.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

In keeping with my tendency to find a shoe I like and then buy it in multiple colors, I recently acquired a pair of Rancourt espresso shell pinch penny loafers and a pair of the same loafers in natural/caramel shell for a good price. I have the espresso ones in my posession, and the natural ones will be arriving in a few days. They are super comfortable and I love the look.

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/loafers/penny-loafers/pinch-shell-cordovan.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third was a pair of shoes I had been eyeing up but was having trouble dialing in my size correctly (and subsequently finding the size I needed after doing so) until a fellow SFer contacted me and let me know he had the pair I was looking for and was going to return them. I had actually posted pics of the pair I first bought that were too big for me. I ended up returning them, then the shoes went on an even deeper discount and the other SF member was nice enough to sell me his for cost with no upcharge or anything. Crockett & Jones for BB Black Fleece:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Spectator-Wingtips/FH00039,default,pd.html

[​IMG]
    A unique style for sure, but I think I should be able to incorporate them into my wardrobe during the spring/summer.

Anyone wanna buy the boots I'm selling in my sig so I can help finance this??[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Amen. The only AE store near me is 75 miles away and a 150 mile round trip for shoes needs to be productive. My last trip down was for me to try on shoes in different lasts to determine what did and did not work. They have 3 shoes in EEE, two of which were on the same last. I left being as uninformed as when I arrived. Many orders and pairs later, I finally determined the only thing that really fit were bluchers. I am moving to Alden for my balmoral shoe needs and just orders some shell 901.

11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Suede Players on a lazy Sunday.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Shoe choice? Sunny, but ...
    Unseasonably cold day:
    Oh! Bourbon Dalton.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Rainy, cold, and crappy here today so no AE... Red Wing Iron Ranger Copper Rough & Tough.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

Picked up some Boone's today... super comfortable, though limited widths available. I wear a 10.5e, the 10.5d fit just fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Dan,

Sorry, I got back later than expected Saturday, and just remembered to grab a few iPhone shots of my Randolphs for you. Definitely a narrow-looking shoe (or maybe it's my foot [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

New brown moras. Fit and construction both look great! One issue is the left toe is creasing already. Anyone see an issue with this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Catching up on last week's appreciation shots.

First up: Burgundy Shell Cambridge.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Tuesday
    Diet Coke
    Brown Shell Strands
    Cheap ugly office carpet
    Showing some Allen Edmonds appreciation
    This is not a haiku, buddy.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

These are really gorgeous. The top pair reminds me of @FatTuesday 's from the old thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...eviews-pictures-sizing-etc/56490#post_7724199

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...eviews-pictures-sizing-etc/56490#post_7725346

@danwatts2005 , this is the best non-AE filthy barnweaseling of the evening.

1 person likes this.
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Captain Insano When I picked up my Beckman the IR was my other option. Crazy horrible breakin - curious to know how bad it was for the IR. Also, is it just me or are the wax laces absolutely garbage that snap after like 2 weeks of wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.