• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Clad vs Sitram

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which sitram line? they have several

In general, all-clad is somewhat overpriced. But they also make a good product. They are at that satisfying level of quality where you will really never replace them

repoman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response

Here's where I am at.

I have been using a very reasonable set of cuisine craft stainless pots and pans for some time now, 8 qt stock/stew pot, 1q/2/q3q sauce pans, a 2qt saute pan all with lids, all stainless, worked well

however, they do have plastic handles, so no good in the oven and they're getting pitted

heck I got 10+ years out of them and they need to be brought into the backyard and euthanized into a large hole (aka I'll gift them to someone else)

Also I have been working with the military for the past 20 years, been on the road, and honestly haven't been keeping up with what is best out there for cooking.

recently I've been bidding on all clad's on ebay (copper cores) but I am not in any rush to spend $250 on a sauce pan if you get my meaning

anyway I did a google search on all clad and this website came up and I read a thread posted back in december where this person was asking about all clads and "Spence" I think it was mentioned the Sitram Catering line of cookware

I took a look and they look comparable to all clad copper cores for a fraction of the price

if the general consensous is that the Sitram Catering line is as good as all Clad then why would I want to spend the big bucks for All Clad?

I want to buy the last set of cookware I ever buy, and I am okey with paying money for it but .....why spend money if I don't have to

yes there are multiple lines of Sitram Cookware, "Profiserie" "Catering" "Cuccina" etc

is it all as good as All Clad?

minhi

Reaction score
what kind of price range are you looking at? all-clad can be found for pretty reasonable, i know at discount places like marshalls and tj maxx i get mine for the 40-80 range for a pan or pot.

i was at a williams sonoma outlet this weekend and they have a ton of all-clad, they were factory seconds (that's all i have and they're functionally identical) and they had a sale at 40%, which made them again $40-$80 a piece with a large selection (all stainless, anondized/stainless, copper/stainless).

i cook a good amount and i love the all-clad pans, i've had a few for almost 10 years now and the only one that's beat up is the 10" fry pan, and that's only because i use way too high a heat so the bottom has turned brown but it still works great.

i'm less picky with the non-stick pans because i wear them out too fast (ruined a calphalon recently).

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may like to read this threads on Egullet Understanding Stovetop Cookware and Q and A on the same topic. I don't have any personal experience with All-clad but Sitram Catering and Profisserie pans are very good for the for the price especially in the larger sizes, like 11' saute pans, which is what I have.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "as good as"?

First...pots/pans are probably the LEAST important factor in cooking well...but even at that, are you concerned with the elements that lead to better cooking or are you concerned with longevity, status, or looks.

First, there is material. Copper and aluminum are more conductive than stainless. All-clad main line has a layer of aluminum in between two layers of stainless. This is because stainless is less reactive, which means it will be easier to clean and will not alter the flavor of your food (I don't think copper is exceedingly reactive like aluminum, but it is much more difficult to clean).

Next there is construction. Many less expensive lines of stainless cookware have 3-ply on the cooking surface only, but the sides are one-ply stainless. They do not heat sauces or stocks as evenly, but would not make as much of a difference in a sautee pan. It is best to have something with the same thickness and materials all around.

The size/quality of rivets is another aspect of construction. Cheaper pots and pans have small / thin rivets and the area where the handle attaches is also thin. You will notice even in commercial aluminum pots/pans, the sturdy rivets are key to making the pot sturdy when you hold it from the handle.

Handle material is another question...most commercial cookware will have rubber-covered handles, but all-clad and similar "home chef" brands use all metal handles for looks. I've burnt my hand more than a few times thanks to that aesthetic decision.

Finally, there are other aesthetic options...for example the master-chef or LTD lines from all-clad feature finishes that make the pots look nice, but render them unsafe for the dishwasher.

I know I"m all over the map...but the bottom line is that there are any number of commercial products available that are as good as or better than All-clad ...they're workhorses, but they probably don't look as nice on a rack above your kitchen island. I'm not familiar with sitram, per se, but there's lots of great stuff out there.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the All Clad copper core mainline - it's their esoteric showoff line and not worth the premium. For the cost, I think it would be my last All Clad choice

If you are getting All Clad, you should either get MC (really thick aluminum - I mean really thick), which is the cheapest line they make, or perhaps Stainless, which is their trademark line, or perhaps LTD if you really like the anodized look. MC works the same as LTD though, and LTD costs more. They all work great - MC and LTD have thicker aluminum, Stainless has the easy clean outer surface

If you are going balls out with no regard to price, or convenience, you would get stainless lined copper like Mauviel, Bourgeat, or Falk Culinair. These pans are ridiculously expensive, ridiculously heavy, but they will work the best at heat control. Also you will probably have to sit down and polish them every year. Big pain. And a full laden stock pot could put your back out.

There are a ton of fully clad, riveted lines out there which work well. Cuisinart multiclad, Kitchenaid from about 5 years ago, Viking, etc. There are also a ton of disc bottom pans which work great too, sitram, Cuisinart, It's all about whether the handles work well for you, and the sizes are what you want. For example, many people hate the All Clad handles, I happen to like them.

All Clad has the advantage that you know they will not change for 30 years in what they offer. Look at Calphalon, their premium, full clad line you bought a few years ago isnt even offered any more, the handles change every six months, and you can't even buy matching lids after the season ends.

personally, I own Kitchenaid 5-ply which hasnt been made for a few years (a big dilemma), cuisinart multiclad, and lodge cast iron.

oh and never, ever get Emeril line.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all clad

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I wouldn't spend an extra dime on high-priced cookware until you have attained the best Chef's knife, cutting board, thermometers, oven, etc. It has an extremely diminishing return for $ spent in comparison to those other items where the quality of the final product is concerned (in my opinion).

BTW... I have an emeril 7" non-stick for omelets. I love it....cheap, replaceable, heats quickly....I don't see a point in spending for stainless outside w/ non-stick inside.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mostly Sitram Catering and Profisserie pans, plus a smattering of other copper pieces and some non-stick pans. I don't own any all-clad pans, but I can say that the Sitram pieces are excellent. I found good prices at Bridge Kitchenware in NYC.

BTW, I think that mirror-finishes on cookware are a bad idea--too much maintenance.

soupcxan

Reaction score
Those who say that your pans don't make a difference in cooking don't know what they're talking about. If you want to be able to sear something properly, if you want to be able to deglaze, if you are trying to reduce a red wine sauce, you need a pan that holds its temp (from having enough mass) and conducts heat evenly (from tri-ply construction all the way up the sides, not just the bottom). I also don't know how anyone can recommend a pan with a rubber handle or glass lids for general purpose use - I often sear meat over the range and then pop the pan straight into the oven to finish (or cover & braise). Obviously a rubber handle precludes this.

Now, if you are just making scrambled eggs, you can use most anything (I use a cheap non-stick calphalon). But that's not really cooking. My pans are Tramontina tri-ply, as good as AC without the sticker shock.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the rubber handles that come on commercial cookware are oven safe.

I'm also not saying it doesn't make a difference, but....your pots and pans will not make you a better cook. You CAN deglaze a disc bottom pan if you work quickly. I don't advocate glass lids, but you are NOT going to sear a steak and put it in the oven with the lid on, and your braise will most likely be done on the range.

Proper reduction is more a matter of the proper shape of the pan and temperature control than construction of the pan. You take a Tramontina skillet and I'll use a windsor or saucier from the macy's collection...I bet my reduction works better.

Also.....people get caught up in having matched sets. Wouldn't you rather have a cast iron / enamel dutch oven than tri-ply? Or a copper fish pan?

Assuming you had all similar quality basic consumer products, tell me which order you would upgrade them:

Knives, Cutting Board, Oven/Range, Skillet, Stock Pot, Sauce Pot, Meat Thermometer

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon

Knives, Cutting Board, Oven/Range, Skillet, Stock Pot, Sauce Pot, Meat Thermometer

Screw it... I'll do it!

oven>knives>skillet>sauce pot>stock pot>meat thermometer>cutting board

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads