• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alfred sargent vs. crockett and jones

gwolf

Reaction score
hey guys i'm looking for maybe a black captoe or punchcap and maybe a brown adelaide. i've had a c&j wholecut before from plal. (they still around?) and around that time as a lurker i remember sargent were not talked about as much as c&j. the new handgrade line looks great though. so what are your current opinions on these two brands? should i be looking at other brands maybe italian?

forgot to mention i'm looking for a round last but i could probably be okay with a soft chisel.

emptym

Reaction score
I own both and like both, but the A&S shoes I have fit my foot a little better. Plus their mto program is amazingly flexible, and their customer service is great. The 99 and 87 lasts are very classic round last, w/ the 87 being a bit more chiseled.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
emptym, what line of A&S do you have?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another nod to AS. Fantastic customer service and they fit me better. Tough to beat that combo!

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
emptym, what line of A&S do you have?

I have two pairs of the premiers and two handgrades.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need to compare the AS Exclusive line to the C&J Handgrade.

The AS handgrade is almost twice the price of either.

Separately, can anyone comment on the AS exclusive lasts 104 & 99 vs. the handgrade lasts. Although they don't have the bevelled soles, are they still pretty sleek looking in person?

gwolf

Reaction score
The AS handgrade is almost twice the price of either.

good point i have no idea about current prices. i remember they were about the same. those must have been the exclusives and c&j handgrades.

they're not close to edward green now are they? the as handgrades i mean.

edit: after looking a plal, and yeah i guess they're up and running again, i'm cool with the connaught and the westbourne. i'm not exactly sure of the equivalent alfred sargent models though.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whom should I get into contact with in order to have a MTO made? Sent a couple of e-mails to them (from the AS website) but never got a reply.

Any idea what's the cost? The double monk straps look gorgeous. Just wondering if it's possible to have it modeled after the Exclusive line instead of the Handgrade line.

Owen Meany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
Whom should I get into contact with in order to have a MTO made? Sent a couple of e-mails to them (from the AS website) but never got a reply.

Any idea what's the cost? The double monk straps look gorgeous. Just wondering if it's possible to have it modeled after the Exclusive line instead of the Handgrade line.

I just ordered a pair of AS MTO from the new styleforum affiliate "A Fine Pair of Shoes"....Check out there site and thread.....

MMorley

Reaction score
The only real problem with Alfred Sargent is delivery. ETAs are vague and it took over 6 months for my last pair of shoes to be finished and shipped.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Chay Cooper is the person you're after at AS.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Thanks. Northampton Novicem MMorley and Owen, what's the approximate cost? 500 pounds?

AS Exclusive come in a snip lower than C&J Handgrade at the £380 mark, whereas AS handgrade is over £600.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads