• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meermin and Crockett & Jones

DrewMill

Reaction score
I don't know what 3 times better means. Three times more durable? Certainly not. Three times more comfortable? That will depend on the wearer. Three times more beautiful? That will depend on your eyes.

If you just want durability for price, get a pair of New Balances. You get proper shoes for aesthetics, but you also want them to be durable and comfortable. A lot depends on your budget, but what is most important is that you get shoes you like. You seem to be looking at brown suede penny loafers and those are some of the most versatile shoes, at least aesthetically. I think Alden's unlined suede penny loafers are nice. I have a pair and find them comfortable, versatile, and stylish. If you are in America, Aldens are also easier to try on in-person. There are also a wide range of widths, which is more important with loafers.
View attachment 1538972
This article from Die, Workwear! is helpful. Here are 3 instagram accounts with a lot of Alden loafer goodness: 1, 2, 3. I think it is also telling that people outside the trad world wear these shoes. Simon at Permanent Style owns a pair, and the guys and the Armoury wear them a lot, or at least they used to. They used to be a big part of the Drake's aesthetic.

I am sure other brands are good too--most menswear brands you hear about on this site make a good product--but these are the ones I like best.
View attachment 1538976
View attachment 1538978
View attachment 1538980
View attachment 1538981

Thank you for this very well thought out response. I have a couple stores around me which sell Aldens (including Juniors, which you linked). I will have to try them on. Thanks again!

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I retail Crockett I was very skeptical of them initially. The more I handled them the more I grew to like them. Their grain leather is phenomenal, the suede is average and certain calf models amazing.

I would never pay for Meermin ever again as I consider them (personally) vastly inferior with shocking customer service. You get what you pay for, but if you asked me to choose between these two, in my eyes they are more than 3 times better. The sweat spot for someone who just want good shoes and is not an enthusiast is between 300-500$. The balmoral boots I handled from Meermin had shocking leather and various QC issues that while present in more expensive brands sometimes remind me that I will rather pay more.

that’s of course my personal opinion. For me Meermin is only worth the investment if you are completely new to welted footwear or on a very tight budget and a way for you to understand them better before making a natural step up to higher quality items.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Even though I retail Crockett I was very skeptical of them initially. The more I handled them the more I grew to like them. Their grain leather is phenomenal, the suede is average and certain calf models amazing.

I would never pay for Meermin ever again as I consider them (personally) vastly inferior with shocking customer service. You get what you pay for, but if you asked me to choose between these two, in my eyes they are more than 3 times better. The sweat spot for someone who just want good shoes and is not an enthusiast is between 300-500$. The balmoral boots I handled from Meermin had shocking leather and various QC issues that while present in more expensive brands sometimes remind me that I will rather pay more.

that’s of course my personal opinion. For me Meermin is only worth the investment if you are completely new to welted footwear or on a very tight budget and a way for you to understand them better before making a natural step up to higher quality items.

I think that's a perfect way to describe Meermin, probably the best entry level GYW shoe. I appreciate the candor and frankness about C&J and the "sweet spot".

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Thank you for this very well thought out response. I have a couple stores around me which sell Aldens (including Juniors, which you linked). I will have to try them on. Thanks again!

Sure. I don't know where you are, but you seem to be somewhere along the East Coast. In addition to Junior's, you can get Aldens at the Alden store in DC and Alden Madison in NYC and they may have a wider range of widths if the standard width doesn't work for you. You can try on the C&J loafers at the C&J store in NYC or (to a lesser extent) Sky Valet in DC. To be clear, I think the C&J loafers look nice too, I just personally prefer the Aldens. When you are just getting into shoes and you don't live near a shoe store, I think it can be helpful to go to a shoe store and just try on a bunch of shoes in different lasts and write down what size you take in each of those lasts, and then you have the reference information for future orders.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Sure. I don't know where you are, but you seem to be somewhere along the East Coast. In addition to Junior's, you can get Aldens at the Alden store in DC and Alden Madison in NYC and they may have a wider range of widths if the standard width doesn't work for you. You can try on the C&J loafers at the C&J store in NYC or (to a lesser extent) Sky Valet in DC. To be clear, I think the C&J loafers look nice too, I just personally prefer the Aldens. When you are just getting into shoes and you don't live near a shoe store, I think it can be helpful to go to a shoe store and just try on a bunch of shoes in different lasts and write down what size you take in each of those lasts, and then you have the reference information for future orders.

I'm outside Philadelphia. Unfortunately traveling is difficult at the moment. ha
Thanks for the advice.

DrewMill

Reaction score
And, Tricker’s loafers went on sale today...
Just to make it a little harder.
Thoughts on these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics