• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Shell Cordovan Flaw / Scratch / Scrape

tmgaus51

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure how this happened (it may have in-fact been like this from the beginning without my noticing), but there seems to be a small scuff (for lack of a better work) or discoloration on the side of my shell boots. I've tried boning, polishing with Venetian Shoe Cream, Cream Polish and Wax Polish. Any tips, or should I just leave be?

Thanks,
David

Exdeath

Reaction score
This has happened to me on a few #8 shells. Maybe someone more expert can correct me, but basically the 'glaze' dye that Alden applies on the surface in a thin film is wearing off. Not really that much you can do I'm afraid unless you feel like stripping the entire boot.

tmgaus51

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply--yeah, stripping the boot is not really something I'd consider. My main concern is that this area of the boot isn't any more vulnerable than the rest of the boot. Strange in either case that this is happening--I've only worn these twice so far!

Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads