• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden QC: Would you be happy with receiving this pair of shoes?

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Bravo!

If there is a higher percentage of mistakes with cordovan, then they need to be checking this diligently. There's really no excuse - if they KNOW that cordovan is difficult to work with, then they should have extra QC on cordo models.

How many vass cordovan shoes have looked like this? (which are usually only about 200 more than alden models).

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Wow - the proprietor of Leffot must be totally color blind.

If I had a shoe shop and saw that come in to my shop, I would absolutely not accept it from the manufacturer.

My standards are higher than that.

Without a doubt, I would never send those out to a customer!

that pair were probably in a box unopened inside the warehouse even when it was shipped. as much as there is argument with leffot amiss with what they sell, I also couldn't blame them for shipping out without opening each item if its still inside the original packaging, with the assumption that the source does have some quality control program.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
that pair were probably in a box unopened inside the warehouse even when it was shipped. as much as there is argument with leffot amiss with what they sell, I also couldn't blame them for shipping out without opening each item if its still inside the original packaging, with the assumption that the source does have some quality control program.
If a store doesn't inspect what they send out, they are part of the problem. If they do inspect it and still send it out that way, they are still part of the problem.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fact is, different shells take dye differently because they are pretty impermeable. I am sure those shoes were both made from #8 shell. Still, you'd think somebody would have noticed such an egregious mismatch somewhere along the line.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Fact is, different shells take dye differently because they are pretty impermeable. I am sure those shoes were both made from #8 shell. Still, you'd think somebody would have noticed such an egregious mismatch somewhere along the line.

Yeah, I don't buy the "well it's shell and it's hard to work with, blah blah" argument at all. WORK WITH IT or don't sell it!

mtc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I thought I wouldn't mention it, but these shoes (the saddles) also have this exact issue on the lighter pair on both sides and near the heel. There is also 3 clearly imperfect stitches on the darker pair right in the front.

Alden REALLY needs to get their **** together. The demand for their product is being met with a steadily declining quality in their supply. Sad, really.

Yes, it is a factory/retailer QC issue but the root cause is deeper than that. Apparently, some craftsmen do not take pride of their own work in the first place. I wonder if they know there are customers who are "passionate" about their Alden shoes.

I have a similar experience with a pair of Ravello wingtips. Fortunately, the color issue was discovered by the retailer prior to shipment and they were offered to me at a substantial discount, with full return privilege. I end up keeping the pair as my rain/snow kicks. The pair did not have the usual "R" markings, indicating the shoes were passed by the factory QC. Lucky to me, the retailer spotted the issue first. But it really puzzles me to see how the craftsman/woman at the bench could stitch up the uppers with patches of Cordovan with such color difference. Mind you, that's not simply a left-right matching issue.

Speaking of the retailers, considering their near 50% retail profit margin, they should be able to accommodate the customers without much problem. The retailers are the ones who should push the factory for better QC.

BTW, I know Steven will take care of his customer.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
Yes, it is a factory/retailer QC issue but the root cause is deeper than that. Apparently, some craftsmen do not take pride of their own work in the first place. I wonder if they know there are customers who are "passionate" about their Alden shoes. I have a similar experience with a pair of Ravello wingtips. Fortunately, the color issue was discovered by the retailer prior to shipment and they were offered to me at a substantial discount, with full return privilege. I end up keeping the pair as my rain/snow kicks. The pair did not have the usual "R" markings, indicating the shoes were passed by the factory QC. Lucky to me, the retailer spotted the issue first. But it really puzzles me to see how the craftsman/woman at the bench could stitch up the uppers with patches of Cordovan with such color difference. Mind you, that's not simply a left-right matching issue. Speaking of the retailers, considering their near 50% retail profit margin, they should be able to accommodate the customers without much problem. The retailers are the ones who should push the factory for better QC. BTW, I know Steven will take care of his customer.
I agree on all points. I am hoping that Steven will not resell these, and will either mark them way down or send them back to Alden. But of course that is his call.

Doxe

Reaction score
Vox is retired so I will interject with a snarky comment about A&E seconds in his absence.

That is all.

Carry on.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger

I don't make a snippet of what some of you guys do on here, so for me, $500 shoes are a HUGE deal, but when you're dealing with a rare product that is NOT easy to work with (stitching as well as staining) you have to expect a higher percentage of maker mistakes. .

The problem isn't they made a mistake. The problem is they shipped it.

If they missed that what else don't they notice?

OTOH maybe it's intentional? I'm seeing a few people wearing mixed up shoes
ffffuuuu.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
but see thats not our problem (the hard work with leather), they need to deal with it, its like getting a faulty Ipad, will apple go on and tell you how hard the metal is to work with, no and thats not your concern, Apple will replace it and same with Alden, the point is that if you put out a product put out a quality one otherwise just dont make it

PS: $500 shoes are a big deal anyday... thats a lot thats why the quality has to be outstanding

Na. Apple will tell you it's your fault for holding it hard and then offer a extra cost cover.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thanks for the support, guys who showed support.
smile.gif

As for WHY this is how it is: I am 100% sure it is a factory issue. These shoes had no chance to sit in sunlight as they were at Leffot for less than a week before they were shipped to me. Maybe 5 days at Leffot. Is that enough time for one shoe to lighten 2-3-4 shades? I don't know, but I don't think so.

They are going back tomorrow... I am NOT dealing with having Alden "fix" them. I have a bad taste in my mouth about this whole thing.

Where can I get some C&J shell?
devil.gif

I once exchanged a pair of RL Darltons for a similar (but not nearly as extreme) issue....

Not sure if I missed it in the thread, but which color were you expecting when you placed your order?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads