• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden lasts and fit

furosemide

Reaction score
Just got my Alden NFB Split toe today and I'm wearing them now. They're great, but I have two issues. One is that they creased REALLY easy. I mean, I just put them on, walked gingerly on my carpeted apartment, and now there's enough creasing I can't return them. I'm hoping that this will be a case of they crease early, and then not much more after that.

The other issue is that they are on the Aberdeen last, and I don't know if other's have this issue, but my heel comes up when I walk more than in any other shoe. Given that this has never really happened with any of my other shoes: Is this an effect of the "slightly longer" Aberdeen last? Or is it that the size is just too long and I need to think about some other options (i.e. heel pads). As previously stated, returning them is not an option given the extensive creasing. The heel obviously does not come all the way out, it's just maybe a couple centimeters, but it'd definitely noticeable and a little annoying. Would a heel pad solve this? Or should I just live with it?

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Shoes crease. If you don't like it, maybe you should be barefoot.

A certain amount of help slippage is normal on a brand new pair. I can't put into words what's normal and what is the wrong size. It's something you just learn.

Yeah I know....I was just sad to take them out of the box all excited at the beautiful construction and then bam! I feel like I aged them 6 months! And it's just not that they creased, it's that they did so much sooner and more than my other shoes. I have 4 pairs of AE and they didn't crease as much or as early. Maybe this is an Alden thing? It's not bad, just wasn't expecting it.

The real issue, and the impetus for my question, is that I'm concerned I may not have the right size. Which would blow, because I can't return them, but also because Aldens look really cool and I'd hate to think I don't fit any of them (I currently have the smallest size, 6D). It does feel good to think it may be a matter of it being brand new and needing some breaking in....

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furosemide
Just got my Alden NFB Split toe today and I'm wearing them now. They're great, but I have two issues. One is that they creased REALLY easy. I mean, I just put them on, walked gingerly on my carpeted apartment, and now there's enough creasing I can't return them. I'm hoping that this will be a case of they crease early, and then not much more after that.

The other issue is that they are on the Aberdeen last, and I don't know if other's have this issue, but my heel comes up when I walk more than in any other shoe. Given that this has never really happened with any of my other shoes: Is this an effect of the "slightly longer" Aberdeen last? Or is it that the size is just too long and I need to think about some other options (i.e. heel pads). As previously stated, returning them is not an option given the extensive creasing. The heel obviously does not come all the way out, it's just maybe a couple centimeters, but it'd definitely noticeable and a little annoying. Would a heel pad solve this? Or should I just live with it?

I find that most of the lasts that Alden uses are too wide for my heel. They list the sizing as D (front width) / B (heel width), and I would be better with a larger split. The Plaza last is one of the only ones that's roomy enough in the front, and narrow enough in the back at the same time. I found the Aberdeen to be narrow in the toe and wide in the heel FWIW. People who complain of this particular fit issue seem to like the Modified last.

I have what you describe in your post, and it doesn't go away. Your issue could simply be caused by new stiff leather. Does your heel move side to side when you pivot at the ball of your foot? If it does so excessively, you might be a bad fit for that last (as I am).

slappy

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on what size Indy boot to get if I wear 11.5 in a Clarks desert boot? Indy boot is trubalance last I believe. Im thinknig a size 11, but I generally wear a 11E in dress shoes and the Indy boot I want only comes in D width.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Anyone have any thoughts on what size Indy boot to get if I wear 11.5 in a Clarks desert boot? Indy boot is trubalance last I believe. Im thinknig a size 11, but I generally wear a 11E in dress shoes and the Indy boot I want only comes in D width.

The usual rule of thumb on the trubalance lst is to size down 1/2 from your usual size. However, I don't find that the last is any wider than normal, so your E width foot might not be happy in a pair of 10.5Ds. You should either try them on in person or make sure you're buying from a store with a reasonable returns policy (such as Shoemart).

slappy

Reaction score
Yea turns out that while J.Crew only offers them in D, shoemart offers them in E. So Im going to try a 10.5E and see how that works out

mbrokerny

Reaction score
A few questions that I havent seen mentioned elsewhere-

How does the trubalance last compare to Red Wing as far as fit? I cant figure out my sizing, its all over the map. I'm a 8.5 vans, 8 red wing chukka, 9 nike. Should I go for the 7.5 or 8 in Alden?

bbhewee

Reaction score
I'd go with an 8. I wear a 13 in Nikes, 12 in Red Wings and 12 in the Tru-Balance last.

Astronaut888

Reaction score
any idea what the 379X last indicates?

Shoemart has a nice pair on sale, and after my last debacle w/ the trubalance last, I'd hate to muck up again.

nemaste

luzer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
So I went to the actual Alden store in SF and got my real sizing.

So I'm a 7.5E in the Leydon, 6.5E in the Barrie and Trubalance, and a 7D in the Plaza.

found this
2e39ycy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads