1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden lasts and fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ThinkDerm, Dec 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

So I went to the actual Alden store in SF and got my real sizing.

So I'm a 7.5E in the Leydon, 6.5E in the Barrie and Trubalance, and a 7D in the Plaza.

So, if I may ask, what do you measure on a Brannock device?

1 person likes this.
  2. rbny

rbny Senior member

I have several pairs of Aldens in Barrie, Plaza, Trubulance lasts (a few from Leather Soul) and I find that I am 9D in Barrie and Trubulance and a 9.5D in Plaza lasts. I also wear a 9.5D in Allen Edmonds PA; 9.5D in Chuck Taylors; 43 in Common Projects; 9F in RM Williams, although I have a 9G, I'm getting this pair re-lasted to the narrower F width.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Are you sure about this? Doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to me either. I'm either my size in all the Alden last or a half size lower on the Barrie.

4. srivats

srivats Senior member

Doesn't make sense to me either. I'm either my size in all the Alden last or a half size lower on the Barrie.

I started with a 9D on the barrie for my aldens years back. I have found out that I can wear a 8.5E barrie too, but the heel sizing is too big.

I take a 9.5D on the leydon, 9E on the aberdeen (best fit for me in aldens) and a 9D in Hampton. The alden SF shop suggested a 9D on the trubalance and I am waiting for my 403 Indys to come in next week. Van last is a difficult fit for me and I haven't tried the plaza yet.

Note that in what I wrote above, the barrie last shoes are all bluchers and hampton/abderdeen are balmorals. Not sure how much that affects the sizing.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Lots of sizes to keep track of.

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

^^^Lots of sizes to keep track of.

Such are the perils of having feet inbetween a US D and E widths.

All these sizing discussions prove is that our feet are very different and one cannot go by what you read on the fora.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

So I'm a 7.5E in the Leydon, 6.5E in the Barrie and Trubalance, and a 7D in the Plaza.

Something seems really really wrong with this. The Plaza is long and narrow, while the Barrie is long and super wide. I wear a 7D in the Plaza and a 7C in the Barrie.

I've had terrible sizing advice from the Alden store in SF.

8. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Terrible because they cannot predict the size of your feet through email or phone? That is just an uninformed thing to say. If you expect someone to be able to accurately predict your size in a shoe based on other shoes, you are crazy. Their job is to give advice based on experience. You can't realistically expect more than that.

9. srivats

srivats Senior member

Really? I am very very surprised to hear that. Was this advice over the phone or in person?

Jim and Larry are terric folks and very knowledgeable in alden lasts and sizing.

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Terrible because they cannot predict the size of your feet through email or phone? That is just an uninformed thing to say. If you expect someone to be able to accurately predict your size in a shoe based on other shoes, you are crazy.

Their job is to give advice based on experience. You can't realistically expect more than that.

I've been in the store numerous times. I've dealt with Jim, who seems courteous but unwilling to give definitive sizing advice, and another gentlemen (who used to be a cobbler but I can't recall his name) who told me straight out that he had been told by his manager (Jim) not to give sizing advice (due to liability in the case of a bad fit). To give you some perspective, neither gentlemen checked the position of the widest part of my foot in the shoe. They simply looked at my sock clad foot and said they'd bring me some shoes to try.

They were nice enough and willing to get me whatever I wanted to see, but I wanted expert advice and I did not get it. I purchased my worst fitting pair of Alden's at this store. They are at least 1/2 size to long, one letter too wide, and made on a last that isn't a good fit for me. They were my first pair of shell shoes, so I didn't know what to expect as far as break-in, and they are now almost unwearable.

I'm glad your experience has been better than mine, but I stand by my statement that I've recieved terrible sizing advice. Note that I didn't say terrible service. The service was fine.

11. srivats

srivats Senior member

^ You do realize that "sizing advice" is a two way street right? You re also suposed to participate in that process. The the SAs can only help you depending on what feedback you give them as to fit. They are not magicians wearing special x-ray glasses to see your foot through the leather.

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

Wowza ... just read this on the alden thread at SW&D:

I was at the Alden SF store today chatting with Robert and Jim and a kid comes in and says "I'm from out of town and I want to get fitted for every last"

Robert and I looked at each other like "Oh mannnn"

The guys at the shop are willing to accomodate requests like this because they are professional and nice and provide top service, but that is asking A LOT. It takes a long time to get fitted for just one shoe when you consider the different widths.

I am an Alden fan and I get the need to know your exact size, but really? I also get the other side because I sell Aldens now.

All I can say is that dude better post his exact findings on this thread so everyone can benefit!

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

^ You do realize that "sizing advice" is a two way street right? You re also suposed to participate in that process. The the SAs can only help you depending on what feedback you give them as to fit. They are not magicians wearing special x-ray glasses to see your foot through the leather.
    I definitely realize it's a two way street, but when someone comes in and says "hey these are my first pair of dress shoes, I'm not sure what they should feel like" the sales agent needs to carry the discussion in whatever way possible. One of those ways is to look at the actual shape of your foot, and to check the positioning on the ball of the foot in shoes. As I said, I'm glad your experience was better than mine, but it doesn't change the fact that I own a pair of shoes purchased in person that are at least two sizes off my correct size. On edit, the other sales agent I've dealt with was Robert.

15. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Such are the perils of having feet inbetween a US D and E widths.

All these sizing discussions prove is that our feet are very different and one cannot go by what you read on the fora.

Sri, we have nearly the same feet. I wish my left were not wider than my right; just picked up AE Sohos (9E) that are snug in the left only.

I've got Indy's on order in 9E. It's good to know the Barrie comes in an E width as well (cigar chukka is my holy grail shoe). I need to try on the plaza and leydon to see if 9.5D will work.

16. srivats

srivats Senior member

Sri, we have nearly the same feet. I wish my left were not wider than my right; just picked up AE Sohos (9E) that are snug in the left only.

I've got Indy's on order in 9E. It's good to know the Barrie comes in an E width as well (cigar chukka is my holy grail shoe). I need to try on the plaza and leydon to see if 9.5D will work.

Leydon is a very nice last ... I have a pair of Hawaiian stompers from LeatherSoul that I really enjoy.

I think the Plaza last looks very good on PTBs and captoes without any ornamentation. I regret not trying these when Tom released them last year:

[​IMG]

17. 1wb

1wb Senior member

I've been in the store numerous times. I've dealt with Jim, who seems courteous but unwilling to give definitive sizing advice, and another gentlemen (who used to be a cobbler but I can't recall his name) who told me straight out that he had been told by his manager (Jim) not to give sizing advice (due to liability in the case of a bad fit). To give you some perspective, neither gentlemen checked the position of the widest part of my foot in the shoe. They simply looked at my sock clad foot and said they'd bring me some shoes to try.

They were nice enough and willing to get me whatever I wanted to see, but I wanted expert advice and I did not get it. I purchased my worst fitting pair of Alden's at this store. They are at least 1/2 size to long, one letter too wide, and made on a last that isn't a good fit for me. They were my first pair of shell shoes, so I didn't know what to expect as far as break-in, and they are now almost unwearable.

I'm glad your experience has been better than mine, but I stand by my statement that I've recieved terrible sizing advice. Note that I didn't say terrible service. The service was fine.

+1.5 (that's + 1/2 size too long and one letter too wide on shoes from the SF store) I have had the exact same experience there.

18. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Really? I am very very surprised to hear that. Was this advice over the phone or in person? Jim and Larry are terric folks and very knowledgeable in alden lasts and sizing.
    Larry (shorter guy only works the SF store on weekends?) gave me very bad advice, and sold me massively oversized shell chukkas (10 E). I wear hiking socks with them, which is actually quite comfortable. Jim (taller guy who works there all the time?) recently told me I should really be in a 9 EEE, and let me try on a pair of his own shoes to prove it. I've ordered a pair of boots in this size and am keeping my fingers crossed until I get them sometime over the Summer.

19. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

So, if I may ask, what do you measure on a Brannock device?

I'm pretty sure that I measure an 8D on the brannock.

20. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

Yes I realize it's a two-way street and provided feedback.