• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Indy 403 Chromexcel - supposed to scratch this easily??

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
1,895
Reaction score
234
I just got some Indy 403s (Chromexcel) and notice that I can literally scratch the finish off with just my fingernail. Is the finish supposed to be this fragile??

If so, when I start wearing them, won't they starting looking sorta beat up right away?

Anyone got any pics of some 403s that have been worn a lot?
 

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
3,294
Reaction score
9
I think that's kind of the look that most people go for. Chromexcel is packed full of oils- you're just shifting them around. You can rub the oils with your finger to make any "scratches" go away. The leather itself is very resilient.
 

norcal_indy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
197
Reaction score
2
That's normal. They're boots... wear them and enjoy them


You can always get them shined or apply a leather dressing like Montana-Pitch Blend. Search through the Alden thread (supported by Leather Soul) and check out some of the shoe care posts at blog.leffot.com.
 

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
1,895
Reaction score
234
I guess that's true with the light fingernail scratch as I was able to sorta buff that out although I can still see it a little.

But I also notice little nicks where the actual finish is totally gone. Seems like the finish is really fragile even if the leather itself is durable. I guess it will look all scratched up in due time and this is pretty normal for these?
 

norcal_indy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
197
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by mediahound
I guess that's true with the light fingernail scratch as I was able to sorta buff that out although I can still see it a little.

But I also notice little nicks where the actual finish is totally gone. Seems like the finish is really fragile even if the leather itself is durable. I guess it will look all scratched up in due time and this is pretty normal for these?


For sure. If you're still concerned post a picture of the scratch(es) in the Alden thread for more feedback.
 

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
1,895
Reaction score
234
Thanks. I think probably I'm seeing where the top lace lugs which are sorta sharp, may have contacted the other shoe during transport.

I also notice that I can indent this leather by pressing in with my fingernail (on the heel or toe for example) and the indentation does not seem to bounce back, kinda like putty.

Normal?
 

coldnyt1

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by mediahound
I just got some Indy 403s (Chromexcel) and notice that I can literally scratch the finish off with just my fingernail. Is the finish supposed to be this fragile??

If so, when I start wearing them, won't they starting looking sorta beat up right away?

Anyone got any pics of some 403s that have been worn a lot?


same goes for me... have to enjoy them... in due time.. it'll have it's own character...
 

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
1,895
Reaction score
234
True. I'm not obsessing over it. I plan to wear them a lot and just sorta forget about the finish on them for a while.

I was just wondering if I got normal ones or defects or something.



Originally Posted by coldnyt1
same goes for me... have to enjoy them... in due time.. it'll have it's own character...
 

meso

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
3,885
Reaction score
923
Originally Posted by mediahound
I also notice that I can indent this leather by pressing in with my fingernail (on the heel or toe for example) and the indentation does not seem to bounce back, kinda like putty.

Normal?


 

jet

Persian Bro
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
22,561
Reaction score
10,974
defect, return
 

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
8,103
Reaction score
56

bigbjorn

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
619
Reaction score
0
It's normal, but I have found the finish of my 403s to be exceptionally disappointing in the two months I've owned them. The leather looks shagged, and not in a nice "patina-ed" way. I love my Alden dress shoes, but I would not buy 403s again.
 

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
1,895
Reaction score
234
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
It's normal, but I have found the finish of my 403s to be exceptionally disappointing in the two months I've owned them. The leather looks shagged, and not in a nice "patina-ed" way. I love my Alden dress shoes, but I would not buy 403s again.

Got a pic? From what I read people seem to love the way it wears.
 

bigbjorn

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
619
Reaction score
0
I'll take a pic tomorrow and post. I'm wearing the Grant-last BBBF pebble grain longwings today.
 

jet

Persian Bro
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
22,561
Reaction score
10,974
If only there were a 5000 page alden thread here on sf.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 17 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 92 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 165 31.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 86 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.2%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 32 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 32 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,665
Messages
9,203,264
Members
193,241
Latest member
RecentComment

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top