• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Chukkas or ??

Cooper'

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a nice pair of chukkas as an additional travel/vacation shoe. I like the looks of the Alden brown suede unlined chukkas. These are on the leydon last which I don't know much about. I'm thinking the brown as it will go with both jeans and khakis whereas lighter tan or snuff color won't go with khakis as well. I know these unlined chukkas are popular. My question is about the comfort while walking. Does it make for a good "walking" shoe? Probably not as it doesn't have much cushion or sole for comfort and grip on city streets. The two alternatives I'm looking at are the:

Alden dark brown chukka on the barrie last. It has lug rubber sole. I would think it would make a more comfortable walking shoe especially with it's rubber sole but it's not quite as handsome a shoe.

Church's ryder III. Similar looking to the Aldens. These have dainite soles which don't look terribly comfortable.

Has anyone tried any/all of these and could comment on them. I know everyone says the unlined Aldens feel like a slipper but are they as good for walking a bit? Ideally seeking a chukka comfortable to sight see all day wearing jeans/khakis and a nice shirt and could put on some dressier khakis with shirt/blazer for dinner. Maybe asking to much form one shoe.

Alden unlined

Alden lined, rubber soled

Church's Ryder III

Corsair475

Reaction score
I have firsthand experience with the Ryder III boot. It's very comfortable right out of the box, very easy to slip in to, plenty of room in the shoe etc. The Dainite sole is very flexible and obviously hard wearing.

I actually don't like the design of that Alden chukka. Some unnecessary stitching and the lug sole being inelegant. The Ryder has a cleaner aesthetic and the sole is nice and slim.

I'd highly recommend you buy it unless you've already got something else. It is a very high quality piece of footwear and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads