• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Flusser shirts

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recently at a Syms (what a godawful depressing place) and came across some alan flusser shirts. They were only 14.99 and when i opened one to examine it it seemed like garbage. Do these have any affliation to Alan Flusser himself and his line? Cause it seems like its a disgrace to put his name on such a poor product.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they short sleeved shirts?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly not, if they had been i would have picked some off to showcase my elbows

cuffthis

Reaction score
I was recently at a Syms (what a godawful depressing place) and came across some alan flusser shirts.  
I actually like Syms. If you don't mind spending the time to look, there are often GREAT finds there. I once purchased a RL Polo Ostritch belt with a sterling silver buckle for $19.99. That was easily a $450+ retail belt.

I also found hand rolled silk, linen and cotton pocket squares with great patterns for $5.99 each. The tag said "made in England", that was all. I bought 1 of each of the 20 different patterns.

I also found a pair of RLPL Edward Green's at the Cherry Hill, NJ Syms store. They were not my size, but was a steal at $149 for EG cap toes.

Don't write off Syms completely. Finds like the above can really make your day.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find great things there, i was speaking more about the atmosphere. Its dark and has this overall depressing mood to it, at least this is the case in the NYC store and the store in Rochester that i've been to. I picked up two Italian Calf skin RL belts today for $20, but was looking for cheap Ike Behar shirts and came across the flusser shirts.

encooper

Reaction score
I sometimes stop by the Devon, PA store.

If I recall correctly, the "Alan Flusser" shirts are cotton/poly blend.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alan has to make a living somehow. I am not sure who owns the rights to his name now, but it is recognizable enough for customers and Syms as a sign of high quality crap.

Carl

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The shirts that Flusser sold at Saks in his custom shop, and the shirts that he now sells in his current shop were and are top notch.

His top notch items have the label "Alan Flusser Custom" or "Alan Flusser Custom for Saks Fifth Avenue." The lower quality goods which are licensed merely say "Alan Flusser."

Flusser licensed his name for both ties and shirts, and these items are of lesser quality. Flusser also did some work for Steinmart, and I don't know if they carried his name or not. I would imagine that the Steinmart stuff is also low quality.

These licensed goods were not sold in his "custom shops".

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the short sleeved shirts at the custom shop? Â
sarcasm.gif
edit: ok, that was a little mean....

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Stein Mart stuff carries his name.  Frankly I don't think the greater clothes-buying public knows who Alan Flusser is and I don't think his name adds much value, but there it is.

It's worth being careful about on ebay -- someone was selling a cashmere sweater from that licensed lower line as a higher-end item.

newtrane

Reaction score
Aren't the Flusser shirts made by a guy named Alexander Kabatz or something like that?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, by his brother Malcolm X Kabbaz

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, by his brother Malcolm X Kabbaz
After his conversion to orthodox Islam, he now prefers the name El-Hajj Malik El-Kabazz.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(RJMan @ June 27 2005,01:50) No, by his brother Malcolm X Kabbaz
After his conversion to orthodox Islam, he now prefers the name El-Hajj Malik El-Kabazz.
You mean Iskander al-Kabbaz?

jekv12

Reaction score
I've seen Alan Flusser pants at Steinmart, and maybe golf shirts too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads