• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air India or Continental?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you were traveling from the U.S. to India, would you take Air India or Continental? Both are nonstop flights. The Air India flight _might_ have an extra 3" of seat pitch (although the traveler isn't tall). So, taking those factors into account, does anyone have firsthand experience to relate?

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flew Newark - Mumbai direct on Continental about a month ago. It was fine. I am a no-fuss traveler, and don't get too worked about much in terms of service. Prepared to be patient. Majority of Indians are feisty travelers without any regard to decorum or any sort of etiquette. Drinks in economy class are not free, but the food is decent. In flight entertainment is an excellent way to kill time.

If you are visiting India, you will have a great time and lots of interesting experiences. The flight to Mumbai will be one of them.

I have also traveled Air India before, but not direct. It was two years ago, but the service was fine then too. If I had to pick though, I would go with Conti.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Continental. FFS.

Air India is NOT that surprisingly good Indian airline people talk about. That one mainly flies inside India.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Continental. FFS.

Air India is NOT that surprisingly good Indian airline people talk about. That one mainly flies inside India.

But...but... Air India is flying brand-new 777-200LRs with 34" seat pitch in cattle class...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
Continental. Do you want to accrue miles on Continental or Air India?

Well, Continental, clearly. But they're my wife's miles, so that's not a determining factor. I'm mostly concerned with which one she'll be more comfortable on. Her miles are a rounding error to mine in any case.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Well, Continental, clearly. But they're my wife's miles, so that's not a determining factor. I'm mostly concerned with which one she'll be more comfortable on. Her miles are a rounding error to mine in any case.
In that case, be a man and get her a damn first class seat.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
In that case, be a man and get her a damn first class seat.

There are simply none available, period, at any number of miles. I've tried. Thank you for your help though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
There are simply none available, period, at any number of miles. I've tried. Thank you for your help though.
No prob. I am a giver.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No prob. I am a giver.

So buy her a ******* first-class seat, you cheap bastard!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Continental. FFS.

Are you serious? I mean, it's been a looooong time since I flew anything in India, but I just remember Air India being pretty good but Indian Airlines (the domestic one) sucking royal ass. Perhaps now there are two Air Indias. Obviously, you would know better than I.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Are you serious? I mean, it's been a looooong time since I flew anything in India, but I just remember Air India being pretty good but Indian Airlines (the domestic one) sucking royal ass. Perhaps now there are two Air Indias. Obviously, you would know better than I.

Indian Airlines is the domestic version of Air India. I don't personally have any experience with Indian Airlines, but Jet Airways and Kingfisher are the best domestically, and the most expensive.

XianMD

Reaction score
I flew continental to Delhi this summer. I assume it is the same type of plane to Mumbai. I thought it was an extremely nice flight. The main bonus were the tv's which were one of the newer touchscreen types and had a much better selection and quality than the American Airlines tv's. Airline food is Indian and interesting if you are a first timer.

No comment on the air india flight but the continental flight was fine to me.

One of the above posters was right about the indians being feisty. My flight took over an hour extra to take off because 2 old Indian women did not understand the concept of seating before takeoff. As soon as the attendant would seat them, they would unbuckle and wander back to the front of the plane. They also do not understand that the first class bathroom is for first class only and you constantly see them slipping under the ropes into first class only to get shoo'ed back back the attendants.

ps. I am 6'2'' and legroom was adequate

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don't fly air india, seriously - the staff is really really bad. I don't like contenental, but I hate air india. the stews are government employees, so they have been chosen from "less privelaged" classes, and they can't get fired. so they don't really give a **** what you want.

I usually go United or Luthansa, myself.

Jet and kingfisher are fantastic, and both have some international flights - you can fly through singapore or brussels on jet, for isntance.

G, if you have any other specific quesitons about india, feel free to PM me

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I figured out how to solve the miles situation and booked her on Continental in business, so it's all good.

And thanks, globetrotter. I may take you up on that via PM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads