• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Age to wear a suit

S.R.M. 1977

Reaction score
If you really need have a dying need to wear a suit, I would do he following. I would save up money that you would otherwise use going to the mall and splurge on renting a suit in your size. Then, go ask your parents to take you somewhere where a 13yo in a suit is appropriate.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Hi everyone , this is the first time that im on a forum! My question is: I like to wear suits , but i do it always when my parents arent at home, becouse i think its embarrassing. But i love to dress up and i really want a suit for my own, but i dont wanna ask it. What should i do? And is it weird that 13 years old boys like to wear suits?

It is statistically unusual for a 13 y.o. to want to wear a suit but it's not "weird".
I'm not sure that anything actually qualifies as weird, these days, but certainly not wearing an innocuous garment like a suit.

We don't know your parents but assuming they are reasonable people I can't imagine they would be shocked just by the fact that you like a suit.

SRM 1977's advice, above, is sound.

I might add that, if that meets your aspirations, you could consider a more gradual approach, like wearing a jacket or even a jacket with tie, but less formal than a proper suit.

zanci

Reaction score
You cant wear a suit at that age anywhere. What, you are going to get an expensive suit and go to school where everyone just fights and dirts you up?

You have time and will grow into. These days many dont even wear a suit where its supposed to.
I do wear a suit everyday of the working week and I love suits, unfortunately many dont feel the same...

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You cant wear a suit at that age anywhere. What, you are going to get an expensive suit and go to school where everyone just fights and dirts you up?

You have time and will grow into. These days many dont even wear a suit where its supposed to.
I do wear a suit everyday of the working week and I love suits, unfortunately many dont feel the same...
Places a 13-year-old can wear a suit:

Church (weekly service)
Wedding
Funeral
Bar Mitzvah
Confirmation
Dinner out
Thanksgiving
Easter
Christmas midnight mass
Christmas party
Christmas caroling
Game 7 of the World Series
The theatre
Older sibling’s graduation
Grandparents’ 50th anniversary
Town meeting
Mother’s Day brunch
In a parade
Parents’ New Years Eve party

I could go on...

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 13 year old son has a kid in his class (Chicago Public School) that wears a bow tie and jacket every day. Has since like second grade or something. The rest of the kids just know that’s how he likes to dress and it’s no big thing. Maybe that’s unusual, but I’d like to think not.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As one post suggested start with a nice shirt and jacket - throw on a tie when you like...

Save the suit for formal occasions,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads