1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Age to wear a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Briandepian, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Briandepian

Briandepian New Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

2. S.R.M. 1977

S.R.M. 1977 Active Member

If you really need have a dying need to wear a suit, I would do he following. I would save up money that you would otherwise use going to the mall and splurge on renting a suit in your size. Then, go ask your parents to take you somewhere where a 13yo in a suit is appropriate.

3. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

It is statistically unusual for a 13 y.o. to want to wear a suit but it's not "weird".
    I'm not sure that anything actually qualifies as weird, these days, but certainly not wearing an innocuous garment like a suit.

We don't know your parents but assuming they are reasonable people I can't imagine they would be shocked just by the fact that you like a suit.

SRM 1977's advice, above, is sound.

I might add that, if that meets your aspirations, you could consider a more gradual approach, like wearing a jacket or even a jacket with tie, but less formal than a proper suit.

4. zanci

zanci Senior Member

You cant wear a suit at that age anywhere. What, you are going to get an expensive suit and go to school where everyone just fights and dirts you up?

You have time and will grow into. These days many dont even wear a suit where its supposed to.
    I do wear a suit everyday of the working week and I love suits, unfortunately many dont feel the same...

5. maxalex

maxalex Senior Member

Places a 13-year-old can wear a suit:

Church (weekly service)
    Wedding
    Funeral
    Bar Mitzvah
    Confirmation
    Dinner out
    Thanksgiving
    Easter
    Christmas midnight mass
    Christmas party
    Christmas caroling
    Game 7 of the World Series
    The theatre
    Older sibling’s graduation
    Grandparents’ 50th anniversary
    Town meeting
    Mother’s Day brunch
    In a parade
    Parents’ New Years Eve party

I could go on...

6. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

My 13 year old son has a kid in his class (Chicago Public School) that wears a bow tie and jacket every day. Has since like second grade or something. The rest of the kids just know that’s how he likes to dress and it’s no big thing. Maybe that’s unusual, but I’d like to think not.

7. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

It’s so much less embarrassing than anything I did when my parents weren’t home. Wear that suit, buddy. Don Draper that shit.

8. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

As one post suggested start with a nice shirt and jacket - throw on a tie when you like...

Save the suit for formal occasions,