• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ag & agave

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of revealing how uninformed I am, may I ask the expert panel about AG jeans and Jake Agave jeans? I've seen both at local shops and contemplated them as alternatives to my favorite Diesels.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I like both, if only because they offer washes that don't have fading and whiskering all over the place. I really like the fit of the AG Fillmore, but the denim isn't up to snuff. Love my Agave Drifters, and wish I could get another pair because mine are falling apart, but I don't think they make them anymore in the cut or wash I have. I usually only see Agaves in the 'older' section, with more conservative cuts, probably because retailers are unsure of how conservatively washed jeans will fair w/the younger crowd.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I usually only see Agaves in the 'older' section, with more conservative cuts, probably because retailers are unsure of how conservatively washed jeans will fair w/the younger crowd.
I know what you mean, and I have to say, screw that. I went on a trip specifically to buy a pair of "high-end" jeans, with a maximum $200ish absolute top end, because I was so sick of all mine, and I couldn't find ANY that I liked in multiple stores. All of them had stupid whiskering and crap. Am i stodgy for wanting to do it myself? For crying out loud, everyone who was shopping there had the same whiskering and stuff and all looked like clones. The only exceptions I found were in very weird cuts like the Skinner with 3 crotch buttons (for the junkless, I assume). It makes me want to swear off jeans entirely. Luckily I avoid the types of nocturnal venues where the J. Americanus is prevalent, or I might have a total breakdown.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
(ken @ April 04 2005,19:22) I usually only see Agaves in the 'older' section, with more conservative cuts, probably because retailers are unsure of how conservatively washed jeans will fair w/the younger crowd.
I know what you mean, and I have to say, screw that. I went on a trip specifically to buy a pair of "high-end" jeans, with a maximum $200ish absolute top end, because I was so sick of all mine, and I couldn't find ANY that I liked in multiple stores. All of them had stupid whiskering and crap. Am i stodgy for wanting to do it myself? For crying out loud, everyone who was shopping there had the same whiskering and stuff and all looked like clones. The only exceptions I found were in very weird cuts like the Skinner with 3 crotch buttons (for the junkless, I assume). It makes me want to swear off jeans entirely. Luckily I avoid the types of nocturnal venues where the J. Americanus is prevalent, or I might have a total breakdown.
Look for the Wrangler 47 line. I've got a pair that had only a little subtle whiskering by the pockets, and no fading at all on the thighs or seat. I think there's some that don't even have the whiskers. Not to mention the designer, Wendy Mullin, is hot as hell.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
(j @ April 04 2005,20:27)
Originally Posted by ken,April 04 2005,19:22
I usually only see Agaves in the 'older' section, with more conservative cuts, probably because retailers are unsure of how conservatively washed jeans will fair w/the younger crowd.
Look for the Wrangler 47 line. I've got a pair that had only a little subtle whiskering by the pockets, and no fading at all on the thighs or seat. I think there's some that don't even have the whiskers. Not to mention the designer, Wendy Mullin, is hot as hell.
Or, here, I found my Agave Drifters http://www.rawclothing.com/store/agave1106.html

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recommend Agave jeans, they have a bootcut model that fits really well, and the denim is excellent.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look for the Wrangler 47 line.

I second that. I have a pair in lighter-colored denim that I really like. My only issue with them is that the pockets are kind of too far to the side. But the cut is great, and they don't look overly "designer"-ed. I've seen the Agaves (Nordstrom?), they look alright, but I think because of the name and location I have them unfortunately associated with Tommy Bahama.

Side note, I checked out the urban outfitters by the MCI Center in DC over the weekend, it was godawful. With the exception of some house-brand hooded sweatshirts that were nice, just a collection of overpriced, waaay overstyled/logoed crap, and nothing new since the last time I went to one, maybe last summer. Le Tigre baseball caps? Zuh? They did have a nice tshirt with a pirate on it.

Anyway, the connection is that it was brimming with specimens of Jackus Americanus (which sounds like some kind of dog).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads