• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Taunton Chelsea-True to Size??

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
i'm about to buy this boot:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/18817239/c/60.html

it looks like a nice, sleek, high-quality chelsea. the thing is, the toe area looks quite elongated. i wear a size 12 in all of my US sneakers and boots. should i order a 12 here or a 11.5?

i heard it was true to size, but with a looser than normal heel. the guy you need to talk to is jan - he's tried one on.

Borky

Reaction score
Is this boot of good quality and worth the price? I need some boots pronto, and would want RMW, but I can't figure out the sizing on them. At least you can return zappos easily.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
E is reliably good. But before you buy, make sure you check out the Tauntons from all angles. There's an odd horizontal join in the leather that I hadn't expected. On Zappos, the pictures are taken such that the join isn't easily visible except in the "Right" and "Front" pictures.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
AE is reliably good. But before you buy, make sure you check out the Tauntons from all angles. There's an odd horizontal join in the leather that I hadn't expected. On Zappos, the pictures are taken such that the join isn't easily visible except in the "Right" and "Front" pictures.

That is strange. Is it only horizontal, or does it also run up the middle front of the boot?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That is strange. Is it only horizontal, or does it also run up the middle front of the boot?

Runs up the middle of the boot too. It's essentially a large rectangle of leather that's been sewn in place. I'd hope it's not a cost-cutting measure, to allow for the use of smaller pieces of leather, but that's what I suspect it is. Very noticeable in person. Makes the boots look like those leather jackets/purses sewn from leather scraps.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Runs up the middle of the boot too. It's essentially a large rectangle of leather that's been sewn in place. I'd hope it's not a cost-cutting measure, to allow for the use of smaller pieces of leather, but that's what I suspect it is. Very noticeable in person. Makes the boots look like those leather jackets/purses sewn from leather scraps.

I have the same thing on my Bruno Maglis. It's not really noticeable in action - unless you wear highwater pants. But RMW would be much better.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it must be that. That, or somehow AE couldn't form the leather up the whole vamp in one piece? Pretty much ruins the boot in my eyes, and I'd thought about getting a pair. No offense intended, and thanks for the warning.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think it must be that. That, or somehow AE couldn't form the leather up the whole vamp in one piece? Pretty much ruins the boot in my eyes, and I'd thought about getting a pair.

Yeah, I had too. That's why I thought I'd mention it. As NoVa points out, it wouldn't be that noticeable in the wearing, but it's the type of thing that'll bother some folks more than others, especially here on detail-obsessed SF.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Makes me feel better about my RM Williams tho.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i heard it was true to size, but with a looser than normal heel. the guy you need to talk to is jan - he's tried one on.

Actually, Jan has not tried on the Taunton, but he did try on the Delray, which is on the same (new) #8 last. My heel flip-flopped like mad in that one, so I presume the same would be true for the Taunton. I don't know whether to be pleased or not over this. I'd like the Taunton in both its brown and suede iterations, but I don't really need to spend more money on footgear of this type.

At least one other forumite (I think this was on AAAC) did buy the Tauntons but encountered the same problem with the heels. If you have narrow heels, the new #8 and the #2 lasts are best avoided.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Can anyone with the Taunton boot comment on it's fit relative to the PA? With the exception of the loose heel, is the #8 last wider in the ball/midsection of the foot? Is it tight in the top of the foot? Is it also shorter than the PA? If I'm 10D, would a 10D fit me in the length, or would a 10.5D be a better bet?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The #5 last--the last the PA is built on--is the narrowest last in the A-E lineup. Hence, everything else is going to be wider in a given size.

Briguy

Reaction score
I have three pair of Tauntons and a Mora (also on the #8 last). They do have a touch of looseness in the heel, but not to the point where comfort is affected. As a point of reference, I am a 8.5EEE in the #8 and #4 last (Byron). The Byron fits well without the looseness of the #8. I cannot wear anything in the #5 last, as it is just too narrow for my foot (even in wide widths).

I do find that the #8 is a tighter fit in the toe area (than the #4 Bryon), but not by enough to make a difference in comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads