• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Ridgeway Webgems..good god...

mcass

Reaction score
Holy crap...

First, I'd like to state my love of AE. I really do appreciate the direction they've taken lately. But they seriously just went from the cappuccino cordovan McAllisters to this hideous creation below, the "Ridgeway" - and if you check the site, there's many hideous variations of it. I chose what I personally feel is the ugliest.

Gents, the patent Ridgeway..

ejomby

Reaction score
"Challenged to rework our classic wingtips, our designers decided to have their way with the design and truly push the boundaries of fashion and function." Push the boundaries or cross them? I guess they're just having some fun. Kind of a variation on their Neumoks.

The browns are passable, but not a fan of the mini-lug sole.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes I don't get AE. Instead of making designs like the higher end shoes, they come out this ****.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sometimes I don't get AE. Instead of making designs like the higher end shoes, they come out this ****.

**** is exactly what that is. It's as if they're saying "hey don't let those really nice new brown shell shoes fool you, we can still make an ugly monster of a shoe".

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sux...
AE is overrated in looks IMO...

dscl

Reaction score
Obviously in the majority here, but I'm a big fan of the matte black with red stitching version... I would be all over them if I felt they were versatile enough to be my first pair of AE shoes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ridgeway also comes in Green and is killer, possibly the nicest of the colour options, red being a close runner-up, imo.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want to see crazy designs? Look at the student shoe design competition AE is hosting on their website...

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looked through the "New Styles" section on the AE website. Well, I only see things which are outright ugly (Dr Martens is more stylish) or dull. Honestly, apart from their classics (PA, FA, Strand,...) and a few good creations of the last years (Delray, Player's Shoe) their offering increasingly sucks.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Ridgeway was a famous linen canvas and tan spectator. One of their great shoes in the 90s.

billbusse

Reaction score
I think this is about the best thing Allen Edmonds has done in ages. The Ridgeway is a classic but one can only own so many brown and black shoes.
Now not only is this great shoe available in the black patent with red stitching but also black patent with white stitching. I'm guessing many style conscious
guys will buy these who have never even considered Allen Edmonds shoes before these arrived. I also understand these are very limited production runs so
once they are sold out there are no more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics