• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Hinsdale or McAllister

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey!

I need to grab a pair of black shoes my engagement party—I just grabbed a charcoal grey suit w/ light pinstripes.

I'm thinking between AE Hinsdale or McAllister. Which one do you guys think would be the best bet? I like'em both.

Also, I'm going to be ordering online...I'm assuming all AE's fit the same? I only have one previous pair that I got measured for in an AE store last year.

Thanks in advance!

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most AE's fit the same, but not always. I have the McAllister and Hinsdale - both in the same size and both fit great. So between these 2, you should be the same size.

As far as which one to get, it depends. Some say you shouldn't wear a blucher (Hinsdale) with a suit - but I do and think they look fine. Some people find a blucher fits better - if you have a higher instep, this could be the case. The wingtip is longer on the Hinsdale if that is a plus or minus to you.

Both the McAllister and Hinsdale fit similar. They are on different lasts, but they fit similar.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you can try them both on, obviously get the one that fits best. Otherwise, get the one you like best as they are going to be your shoes.

Chris

wgiceman

Reaction score
It really depends on your personal likes and dislikes. As for me, I think I would lean more toward the McAllister. Something about it just appeals more to me. I am actually considering a pair myself.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both on sale right now, though the Hinsdale sale appears to be a permanent one, while the McAllister is until the 30th. Have you considered a shoe color other than black? A brown or merlot/burgundy shoe would look good with your charcoal suit. The Hinsdale only comes in black, while the McAllister is available in Walnut or Merlot.

Jkhan82

Reaction score

They are both on sale right now, though the Hinsdale sale appears to be a permanent one, while the McAllister is until the 30th.  Have you considered a shoe color other than black?  A brown or merlot/burgundy shoe would look good with your charcoal suit.  The Hinsdale only comes in black, while the McAllister is available in Walnut or Merlot.

stuck with black because the mrs. wants me to wear black shoes...long story. :/ I have a pair of brown 5th aves.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stuck with black because the mrs. wants me to wear black shoes...long story. :/ I have a pair of brown 5th aves.

Then I am still going to say McAllister, for some of the reasons mentioned above. It is a great time to get it now that it is on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads